great northern

Peterborough North

4 hours ago, great northern said:

The B12 starts off towards home with the 1237 Cambridge.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_05/1898267114_11576leaving.JPG.6c10472ba74cd5b6d212f4a8fe8a2280.JPG

Then it is time for one of three Pullmans in quick succession. Well turned out  KX top link A1 Great Eastern brings the Up Tees-Tyne towards the station.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_05/1123361429_21571.JPG.1ce788548d8c936f76f70e1de93bc3a3.JPG

Believe it or not, I had three or four goes at getting that lamp straight.

Just a thought if I may?

As a 31A loco, would it be more appropriate for it to be carrying discs rather than lamps?

Stewart

20 hours ago, stewartingram said:

Just a thought if I may?

As a 31A loco, would it be more appropriate for it to be carrying discs rather than lamps?

Stewart

Good point Stewart. The problem is that I then have to make them, and fit them, which is even more difficult these days. I may have a go though.

3 minutes ago, great northern said:

I did shop this, but as you can see, did not notice all the mess in the sky. Normally, I wouldn't be able to put up with this, but yesterday I wasn't prepared to go back and put it right. Put it down to cheap 1950s camera or film.

Looks like flocks of starlings to me!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

23 minutes ago, 31A said:

Exactly what I thought :D

I've been browsing for a while now looking at this amazing layout.

Spent a lot of time going through the thread, not every page as I would still be back in 2015... 

The quality of this layout, everything about it, is just fantastic. 

Gilbert, my congratulations to you and all the other talented folks who have worked on this. And your photos are absolutely brilliant, there were times when I was looking through the thread when I did a double take to see if it really was the model!! And I really mean that.

Going through the thread like I have done I can see how you've improved as a photographer, not that you were that bad to start with, and I can only sincerely say how impressed I am.

I'm very much an armchair modeller at the moment so enjoy looking at other people's achievments and understanding how they got there.

Great stuff and keep the photos coming but also most importantly make sure you keep enjoying the layout and spending time doing what you want to do on it.

Phil

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 31A said:

Brilliant Steve, definitely starlings, and I suspect they may feature again in future.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Phil147 said:

Exactly what I thought https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/emoticons/default_biggrin.png

I've been browsing for a while now looking at this amazing layout.

Spent a lot of time going through the thread, not every page as I would still be back in 2015... 

The quality of this layout, everything about it, is just fantastic. 

Gilbert, my congratulations to you and all the other talented folks who have worked on this. And your photos are absolutely brilliant, there were times when I was looking through the thread when I did a double take to see if it really was the model!! And I really mean that.

Going through the thread like I have done I can see how you've improved as a photographer, not that you were that bad to start with, and I can only sincerely say how impressed I am.

I'm very much an armchair modeller at the moment so enjoy looking at other people's achievments and understanding how they got there.

Great stuff and keep the photos coming but also most importantly make sure you keep enjoying the layout and spending time doing what you want to do on it.

Phil

There are days when I'm a bit down, and need something to lift my spirits. Your kind and generous words have done that for me, and I am very grateful. That was a real boost, just when needed.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

10 hours ago, calvin Streeting said:

do you manualy remove background. ? as wonder if one of those moder 2 lens cameras would do it automaticaly :) 

I'll try to find out. That would be brilliant if it is possible. I do it all manually, and it can be very time consuming and sometimes very difficult and frustrating.

There  murmurationing I believe. Or should that be Infuriating.  :crazy:

Golf is only a Game ? The legendary Bill Shankly said of Football "it's not just a game it's more important than life itself.:hunter:

16 minutes ago, CUTLER2579 said:

There  murmurationing I believe. Or should that be Infuriating.  https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/emoticons/default_crazy.gif

Golf is only a Game ? The legendary Bill Shankly said of Football "it's not just a game it's more important than life itself.https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/emoticons/default_hunter.gif

No, he didn't.

• Informative/Useful 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

No, he didn't.

OK he actually said  "'Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that".'

Edited by CUTLER2579
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, CUTLER2579 said:

OK he actually said  "'Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that".'

He was so very wrong, the matter that is far, far more important than football is finding an automatic coupling/uncoupling system that works on your model railway. Empires have risen and fallen over this greatest of philosophical and mechanical challenges.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Accurate quote but not put in context. He was answering what he, rightly, considered to be a silly question from a journalist. He did not really mean it. Scottish humour can be a bit "special".

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

The paint and lining finish on that Pullman is gorgeous.

More of Tim's work Martin.

• Thanks 1

On 17/05/2019 at 09:48, great northern said:

I did not notice all the mess in the sky.

Those look like a murmuration of starlings.  Though how you make a 1:76 scale starling is beyond me.

On 16/05/2019 at 08:06, stewartingram said:

Just a thought if I may?

Stewart

I have only heard this anecdotally , so I can’t say 100% , and please correct me if anyone knows better , butmy understanding is that regulations relating to headcode discs only applied to the Eastern section, and then probably trains coming to the London area.

Its seems probable to me though, because there is plenty of photo graphic evidence of trains on the MGN lines , carrying lamps rather than discs, and they would have come through Peterborough. Also the LTSR section, which by 1958 came under the Eastern region always used lamps.

I am only summising but it seems that discs were introduced primarily for route indication on the busy lines out of Liverpool St where coloured as well as plain discs were used to identify route of suburban trains  but they don’t seem to be used as much North of Cambridge , except on the Norwich line.  

• Informative/Useful 1