Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Gilbert,

I don't normally make locomotives which derail, but it looks like that's what's happened to the second axle of the B12's bogie. How? 

It's back on in the next picture of it!

Regards,

Tony. 

Good evening Tony. We can be sure of two things. I will have been responsible, and I will not have noticed. I surmise that I decided to move the loco a bit by hand, and thus disturbed the bogie. This I did not notice at the time, and either I did as the train moved off, and put it right, or possibly it dropped back on of its own accord.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Thank you Gilbert for venturing to the wilds of nowhere. I had a good time chatting, even if not many trains were run.

The problem is Clive that you have done so many interesting things in your life that I enjoyed hearing about, there wasn't enough time for trains. Anyway, I kept disturbing your concentration by chatting while you were trying to drive them.

11 hours ago, great northern said:

A lovely day in mainly sunny North Lincs, and the natives were friendly. Unfortunately we were without a duck, but the time flew by nevertheless. I also realised that the plan Clive used as the basis of Sheffield Exchange is one I had considered myself many years back. Lots of potential there, and I look forward to seeing the layout develop further. I decided on a different route home, to avoid the Lincoln and Newark by pass logjams, but it turned out to be so much longer that I saved no time at all. I never learn, and am now fatigued once again.

Oh yes, PN happenings. We are back from pulllman to prosaic, and events witnessed from the Midland lines. Another Ivatt 4 is seen at the very beginning of the long journey to Yarmouth.

112288435_1Ivatt.JPG.32ab361dc0b2e6fb84a4afaf4bc3772a.JPG

and yet another WD on its way to Ferme Park.

123732734_2WD1.JPG.79f5bc6ed6372af21667bd042a4e4761.JPG

The photographer has excelled himself with the picture of the Ivatt class 4.  It’s amazing that something designed as 100% utility can somehow capture the attention so well.  Lovely pictures as ever.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, A Murphy said:

That J3 is indeed lovely Gilbert. What a treat.

Alastair M

Some may remember that a while back I mentioned the millionaire philanthropist Sir Archibald Loco- Holic. Well, he phoned me after reading this post, and told me that he had bought the J3 four years back, and leased it back to BR. Very much ahead of the times, Sir Archie. He also told me that he too would like to see more lovely pre grouping classes like this, so we'll have to see if he puts his hand in his wallet again.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

You know I love pictures of your coaching stock. It’s particularly good to see the Thompson RK as I’m just trying to work out what I need to put underneath my nearly completed version in the way of battery boxes etc... is there any chance you could provide a picture of the coach ‘belly up’ to give me a good view of the underfloor arrangement? I know that if Tony is following he would say that I shouldn’t copy another model, but pictures of the real thing are almost as rare as hen’s teeth!

All the best,

Andy

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Gilbert,

You know I love pictures of your coaching stock. It’s particularly good to see the Thompson RK as I’m just trying to work out what I need to put underneath my nearly completed version in the way of battery boxes etc... is there any chance you could provide a picture of the coach ‘belly up’ to give me a good view of the underfloor arrangement? I know that if Tony is following he would say that I shouldn’t copy another model, but pictures of the real thing are almost as rare as hen’s teeth!

All the best,

Andy

No problem Andy, but it will be Friday before I get a chance to do it.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, great northern said:

The  9.47 Newcastle was a relief to the main train at 9.55, seen entering behind A1 60143 in typical Gateshead condition.1978355935_91431.JPG.4d2cc216590bd0fd0e86dc58937999d0.JPG

The train stopped for five minutes, so there was time for another shot. Another wonky lamp that wasn't when I put the loco on the front of the train. Very rough riding loco, obviously.1240643613_101432.JPG.18ee165e97c6fd22a00a5ee98af5ba2a.JPG

Good evening Gilbert,

What is it about human perception in that our vision is always drawn to things which aren't 'right'?

Though the top picture is an absolute 'cracker', it's let down (in my view) by the unrealistic lamps (though at least the A1 carries them) and 60143's lack of front coupling, cylinder drain cocks (even though the operating mechanism below the offside valence is present) and front steps, and the conduit leading to the top lamp bracket. Any real picture of an A1 in service will reveal those as always present, the last-mentioned (like 60143) on locos still fitted with electric lighting.  The second picture also reveals the lack of wiggly pipes (the technical description?) on the smokebox's sides. 

Though, as you know, I'm not a Bachmann A1 user, I still have this one.

1806068373_BachmannA160125.jpg.5b9176b86f3c0fd83b646732018e2aa6.jpg

Somewhere along the line the offside guard iron has been lost, and, I admit, the front coupling is a bit on the 'chunky' side (Bachmann's own item), though the picture does illustrate (I hope) what I'm getting at. I renumbered/renamed/weathered this one, and also fitted etched brass deflectors (spare from a DJH A2/2 or A2/3 kit). I also jacked-up the rear end so that the footplate/soleplate matched, close-coupled the loco to tender and replaced the poor bogie wheels. The much-nearer-scale lamps are from Dave Franks' 'LMS' range. 

With a man of Tim's many talents as your 'loco-improver', might it be worth asking him?

I offer the above in the spirit of 'constructive criticism'. 

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I do at least know where some drain cocks go Tony, I have a box with quite a number looking for a good home. I do find Bachmann's A1s particularly difficult to rail up, and the front bogie is one of the main culprits. No doubt it is my heavy handed efforts that have caused things to go missing. I can certainly do better with the lamps, indeed I wonder why I haven't already done so.

When Tim next visits we intend to start on a check of everything, so I'll note 60143 for attention then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

G'Day Folks

Not that I know 'Anything' about Golf, was 11, over or under ???

Those cattle wagons have lasted well, is that 'Lime wash' on your 'Up Scotch Goods' wasn't it banned around 1920 !!

manna

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Not that I know 'Anything' about Golf, was 11, over or under ???

Those cattle wagons have lasted well, is that 'Lime wash' on your 'Up Scotch Goods' wasn't it banned around 1920 !!

manna

Par for our first hole is four. Off my handicap, it is effectively five. Eleven is therefore not very good.

The cattle wagons are from Bachmann, and rather naively I assumed that they would get them in the right condition for BR days. There must surely have still been some method of cleaning and disinfecting them?

• Thanks 1