Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

60515 is one filthy engine!

I am not sure though whether I have complimented it or insulted it.

Edited by Bogie
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well done Gilbert. 500 quid, no matter where you had to spend it, is better than nowt!

Cheers

Tony

PS the last lot of B17 pics were rather nice.  More pretty please?

• Agree 5

On 06/06/2019 at 09:27, great northern said:

Deltic having a rest, while Huddersfield Town arrives with the Ely-Birmingham.

1596048570_51653anddeltic.JPG.069355a715c497db30723a1d607ff586.JPG

followed by another angle on the same view.

194079419_6anotherangle.JPG.1f031189a9f222c5da4e5e6d7b118068.JPG

I don’t like the look of that blue roary  thing. I hope that idea never catches on;)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, trw1089 said:

Well done Gilbert. 500 quid, no matter where you had to spend it, is better than nowt!

Cheers

Tony

PS the last lot of B17 pics were rather nice.  More pretty please?

The local spotters say about an hour to wait, then there are the two Harwich trains, at least one of which should produce a B17.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Shouldn't the big blue roary thing be carrying loco lamps?

I think it should be discs Clive, and I know where they are. They are in the little bag of parts which I cannot find, I know I have seen it somewhere though,

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Clive,

Gilbert recently told us he has lost the little baggy thing.I would suggest it is called a Vacuum Cleaner that he is looking for.:hunter:

Regards,Derek.

It is more likely that I can't find them because I sucked them up with the vacuum cleaner Derek.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

I think it should be discs Clive, and I know where they are. They are in the little bag of parts which I cannot find, I know I have seen it somewhere though,

It were lamps http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/dp1-59.htm

And as for what you do with the vacuum cleaner, this is a family friendly site. :scared:

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, great northern said:

Two more of the early morning images I tried on Thursday. This first one is definitely less affected by glare.

1664422275_3deltic.JPG.d74ce485525ecaabe3972e619b727931.JPG

The second is a bit dark and muddy, but looks OK in black and white.

230804179_5C12.JPG.183543fab14fbcec42a5b2d273d4e6aa.JPG

I think the word you are looking for is moody, not muddy.  As a consultant I can always find ways to make little changes to words to make them sound far better than they really should be, I think it is called the art of bull$h1t.  Let me know if there are any other words that need improving, I can offer special discount rates for friends, 1% off my normal rates...

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, trw1089 said:

I think the word you are looking for is moody, not muddy.  As a consultant I can always find ways to make little changes to words to make them sound far better than they really should be, I think it is called the art of bull$h1t.  Let me know if there are any other words that need improving, I can offer special discount rates for friends, 1% off more than my normal rates...

Edited.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

And as for what you do with the vacuum cleaner, this is a family friendly site. :scared:

I should have known better Clive, than to query the acknowledged expert on things that go roar roar, or brmmm  brmmm for that matter. I shall put some lamps on, unless I drop them and vacuum them up by mistake first.

20 minutes ago, trw1089 said:

I think the word you are looking for is moody, not muddy.  As a consultant I can always find ways to make little changes to words to make them sound far better than they really should be, I think it is called the art of bull$h1t.  Let me know if there are any other words that need improving, I can offer special discount rates for friends, 1% off my normal rates...

But I'm a retired lawyer Tony, which means of course that I am unable to do any other than tell the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Gilbert

Clive is correct, I have looked at all the archive photos I have of the Prototype Deltic DP1 on the ECML and they all show it carrying lamps.

It did have an earlier spell on the WCML and it may have had disks then, but I have no photos of this period.

May I please without offending you make one tiny I hope constructive criticism, that is cover that coupling pocket on the front of DP1 with the vacuum pipes and the other small detail fittings that come with the loco, it does improve it looks considerably.

Great photos as usual, just as I am fairly new to model railways I am even newer to Golf, took it up about two years ago.

I am still not sure which is the most frustrating of the two hobbies, but like you I played last Friday in driving rain.

My handicap at the moment is just trying to hit the golf ball straight.

Regards

David

4 hours ago, landscapes said:

Hi Gilbert

Clive is correct, I have looked at all the archive photos I have of the Prototype Deltic DP1 on the ECML and they all show it carrying lamps.

It did have an earlier spell on the WCML and it may have had disks then, but I have no photos of this period.

May I please without offending you make one tiny I hope constructive criticism, that is cover that coupling pocket on the front of DP1 with the vacuum pipes and the other small detail fittings that come with the loco, it does improve it looks considerably.

Great photos as usual, just as I am fairly new to model railways I am even newer to Golf, took it up about two years ago.

I am still not sure which is the most frustrating of the two hobbies, but like you I played last Friday in driving rain.

Regards

David

The attached at Colwich on the WCML also shows it sporting lamps.

http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/dp1_12-9-58.htm

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, landscapes said:

Hi Gilbert

Regards

David

Railways win at the moment David, simply because I don't get rained on while operating it.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

7 hours ago, landscapes said:

Hi Gilbert

Apparently when Thompson was designing his Pacifics in the mid 1940’s he made provision for headcode discs, then someone pointed out to him that the Rule Book didn’t make provision for discs other than on the GE section and any signal man seeing no lamps would stop the train, so the idea was dropped. However the Rule book must have been changed by the time the Brush Type 2’ s were starting to run on the GN mainline , which would be about 1958/9. 

It therefore seems that when DP1 was built , 1955 provision was made for lamps only  but when the rule books were changed shortly afterwards it wasn’t worth modifying DP1 as its days were numbered anyway. 

• Informative/Useful 2

Hi Gilbert, I've just received 'Last years of Steam on the Eastern Region' as an early birthday present. Cracking photos and lots of photographic  evidence the King's Cross locos were not always clean.

Edited by davidw