great northern

Peterborough North

1 hour ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Gilbert,

I trust the Wet Suit isn't wet any longer,but a Rowing boat may be a better option.

Hose pipe bans to be announced next week ?

Regards,Derek.

The wet suit is very wet Derek, as I have just been out shopping, and it is coming down very hard indeed. My pond is starting to become part of the patio, so I may soon need the rowing boat to access the rest of the garden. Hose pipe ban next week? No, you're exaggerating there. It'll be at least a fortnight.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

If it's any consolation, I am 350 miles south of you, and while we've had less rain, it is very damp and chilly. Mind you, it got a bit warm in the adjacent village (3 km away) last night when the local factory burnt down. 600 jobs are now at risk.

• Friendly/supportive 4

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, great northern said:

The weathering on Woolwinder, is I think, the finest work Tim has done. He has made the engine look both dirty and clean at the same time, with a soot and ash coating on the upper boiler yet an oily sheen along its lower half. A wiped-clean cab and tender side yet track dust and dirt coating the area just above footplate height. The wheels and motion are an overall drab, with none of the "artsy" highlights so many other modellers, myself included, would be tempted to add. Simply superb work.

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Agree 6

4 hours ago, great northern said:

Truly awful this morning, pouring down, and feels like February outside. Good old England.

We have a photo of a Leicester Midland based Standard 4 on its way there having taken over the Ely-Birmingham.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_06/1564671119_65060.JPG.0819cfe52e4edfa47bfb737e6183eb33.JPG

I'm having to ration things at present, as there has been no light for photography the last couple of days, and I'm supposed to be golfing tomorrow and Thursday. That seems increasingly unlikely at the moment though.

I've never before seen a standard 4 fitted with condensing apparatus! Such an unusual design too - must have been tight through the tunnels...

Stewart

• Funny 2

3 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

The weathering on Woolwinder, is I think, the finest work Tim has done. He has made the engine look both dirty and clean at the same time, with a soot and ash coating on the upper boiler yet an oily sheen along its lower half. A wiped-clean cab and tender side yet track dust and dirt coating the area just above footplate height. The wheels and motion are an overall drab, with none of the "artsy" highlights so many other modellers, myself included, would be tempted to add. Simply superb work.

Do you know, Martin, I nearly made a comment like that myself when I looked at it closely. Yes, if not the finest Tim has done, it is right up there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stewartingram said:

I've never before seen a standard 4 fitted with condensing apparatus! Such an unusual design too - must have been tight through the tunnels...

Stewart

Oooh, you are awful:jester: I spent quite a while composing this, and it was the least worst I could come up with. There is so much clutter at this end that avoiding one problem just brings in another. That water crane actually does need cutting down somewhat, but it will still intrude after that has been done.

• Friendly/supportive 3

Damn, Sun Castle again, thought I was going to get a new cop!

• Friendly/supportive 2

15 minutes ago, trw1089 said:

Damn, Sun Castle again, thought I was going to get a new cop!

Yeah, I copped it in 1961!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

Shouldn't those driving wheels be spinning?  <g>

Cheers, great thread, thanks!

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

10 hours ago, robmcg said:

Shouldn't those driving wheels be spinning?  <g>

Cheers, great thread, thanks!

It's only got five on! Even one of Thompson's finest would struggle to slip with that sort of load.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Something different. I have at least one family of woodpeckers visiting my feeders at present, and one family has had two fledglings perched on the fence while Mum or Dad gets provisions from my peanut feeder. Sometimes the adult also shoots off into a tree, so there may be more young still in the nest. Anyway, a bit earlier, one of those on the fence got tired of waiting to be fed, so decided to help itself.

12668416_woodie1.JPG.b72bed7b0110b11793586f64c49ed557.JPG

Quite a distance away, low light and hand held, so this was the best I could do, but I thought it was worth sharing.

• Like 16

Thanks for all the help on my Thompson kitchen car from people on here a few weeks ago. It’s now finished, so I thought I’d show the final result.

C8BD1184-3D0E-4F88-8669-B8674A068328.jpeg.4d0e997dc59c43745ef5f4818d4d2ff6.jpeg

A8368846-E508-46C7-8E56-99B05298FD18.jpeg.ddf0b43df0945d8ffa2ba5b6430cdd0e.jpeg

32C263EE-F3A0-44DF-91F5-1F4F4110E237.jpeg.201752b6d801e94c5fde3c3cd7f26f66.jpeg

I managed to sort out the underframe fairly well. Jonathan’s trick of twisting the dynamos with pliers seemed to work well - thanks! I had some problems with getting it to go round curves without the bogies fouling the underframe which I don’t remember on these conversions before. But some ruthless filing away of plastic seems to have sorted it.

Not having to bother with an interior is definitely a time saver.

Andy

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

On 12/06/2019 at 22:26, great northern said:

A whole round of golf without getting wet. What's more, we finished only one point behind the winners, and finished........ninth.https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/emoticons/default_shok.gif Some old fool three putted four times on the back nine too. This evening though, the monsoon has returned in full force.

Here is another shot of Sun Castle, as it starts away towards Grantham.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_06/823340000_9523.JPG.c0b33a613663ebbb0ebbfa551eddea77.JPG

What did you expect? Honeyway? Ocean Swell? No such luck.

How about 60521 Watling Street racing through Peterborough North Station.

942D22F9-8C46-48ED-99CB-A8F6F36DDBD6.jpeg

• Like 12

My limited understanding of PN in Gilbert's timeframe says that nothing ever raced through due to the track config.  

• Agree 7

28 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

My limited understanding of PN in Gilbert's timeframe says that nothing ever raced through due to the track config.  

15 mph speed limit for those reverse curves. Major consideration in the rebuild of the station.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, landscapes said:

Not racing, as noted below, but a loco which in a previous incarnation was Watling Street still runs on PN.  It was 60521 when it ran on Stoke Summit, and Tony offered it to me many years ago when he was upgrading to DJH A2s. When the present PN started, I decided to change it to 60513 Dante, a much more common sight. Tony was most understanding, I'm pleased to say, even though it had been one of his early locos.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

15 mph speed limit for those reverse curves. Major consideration in the rebuild of the station.

20 mph actually, as can be seen below.

img20190614_22094044.jpg.ebefb04f0b528208ac926387d68168ef.jpg

Why do I worry about strong light?

• Like 14