Peterborough North

great northern

15 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Lloyd

One must remember that Grantham's famous resident was not for turning, so the turn table was removed. With an allocation of pacifics and many visiting ones the turntable was too small. Instead of installing a suitable sized one ( I do not know why) there was a strange triangle scissors crossing arrangement. The 1965 OS map shows this layout despite the tracks having already been lifted. https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/491383/334905/12/100954

Edit you will need to zoom out

Clive, many thanks for this explanation. So it is in effect a triangle narrowed in one direction by using a scissors crossover. This now makes sense to me.

Lloyd

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Hi Clive,

The BS+CL sounds great interesting. Can you show or direct me to a picture?

Andy

Hi Andy

They did appear about three years ago on "Sir's" thread, in fact photographed by him on LB.

I hope Gilbert doesn't mind, but I think these coaches would be of interest to many who follow this thread, after all they were built for Kings Cross outer suburban services and could well have found themselves as far north as Peterborough. They are based on diagrams 107 (Brake Second) and 108 (Composite Lavatory), I will apologise now because without checking I plonked the CL body on back to front when taking the photos. The posh passengers end should be towards the J50 which busily shunting them.

100_5819a.jpg.55d20756db9d81c624904957f6b3c207.jpg

Unlike the CL of bogie coaches there was no side corridor where all passengers had access to the toilet. Only the two compartments either side of the loo could spend a penny. So using a Hornby or Kirk CL body would be wrong.

100_5820a.jpg.2af85bffb0518f98b64353a201a94d75.jpg

100_5822a.jpg.bed2789a2318edff723b17e65163583e.jpg

The sides are mirror images of each other. The CL was made from 2 Hornby "shortie" CKs and the BS from 2 BCKs. The fourth compartment on the BS despite the 1 on the door is a second/third class one. The odd thing about the Hornby shorties is the compartments are correct size, they appear to have made the toilets shorter and on the corridor side made the windows short. With the compartment sizes being right they are ideal for cut and shut non-gangway coaches of the types not available.

100_5824a.jpg.0a516fa2da1a92a0d7f852e405ea9f59.jpg

The new chassis is simply some plastic card laminated. I have reused the Hornby bogies, to me they look like Gresley bogies. I believe the center one should be a heavy duty one but on a moving train can you tell if a bogie is a heavy duty one?

100_5825a.jpg.3442d7c97a23ecd8562a9ad5e8b3ff6f.jpg

The center coupling, pivot or what ever is very simple.

100_5826a.jpg.82a9ced496f4a3fa59cd5cd80a9aca7d.jpg

The bodies, still waiting the beading on the ends and on the van end, that is sheer laziness on my behalf as the micro strip is sat just behind the photographer. Interior is still to be made, it will not be fancy. I have reused the Hornby roofs, I found by cutting the roof at the point where the dome end starts they work out the right length for 51 ft non gangway coaches, and more to the point the ventilators are almost in the right places, so I ain't gonna move them. 

Thanks Gilbert for allowing me to share this on your thread.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 13

On 19/06/2019 at 08:45, great northern said:

If Keith Pirt had been at PN now, we can all be sure where his camera would have been pointing. Our south end man also wanted to record the shine on Lord Faringdon, and a five minute stop gave him plenty of time.

1509035418_14342.JPG.d022b73d5b78f87ef2f1d7ebee6b8a4e.JPG

After 60034 left, there was just a four minute wait before 60039 came in with the Up Northumbrian.

1887122374_15391.JPG.cbe6102bbe4108090dda37f3337eed66.JPG

That headboard looked straight, both to my eye and through the viewfinder, but obviously it wasn't.

Hi Gilbert

Some nice photos, what a photographer Keith Pirt was, his photos were just stunning he had a style of his own.

I can always tell a KP photo just be the quality and composition.

Regards

David 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 19/06/2019 at 22:33, great northern said:

The Northumbrian contains the third triplet to be found on PN, and is unique in having been fitted with a standing bar, though that may not be obvious in the picture below.

2114369515_1triplet.JPG.b316e4c6d6d419e2ccea2cd7d8188bb8.JPG

Sandwich also got snapped again as it went round the bend.

887730091_239.JPG.3df30d0b09e9ad117aae272f820c5bda.JPG

I assume the ex-1938 'Scotsman' triplet in 'The Northumbrian' is made from Rupert Brown's sides, etc? 

By 1958 (in fact, from its painting into BR maroon a year or two earlier) it would have carried the BR roundel below each car's branding.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 17:30, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Lloyd

One must remember that Grantham's famous resident was not for turning, so the turn table was removed. With an allocation of pacifics and many visiting ones the turntable was too small. Instead of installing a suitable sized one ( I do not know why) there was a strange triangle scissors crossing arrangement. The 1965 OS map shows this layout despite the tracks having already been lifted. https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/491383/334905/12/100954

Edit you will need to zoom out

I think that is all housing now having lain derelict for a long time. However, at least Grantham still retains some staion atmosphere unlike the horribly modern(?) Peterborough.

P

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I assume the ex-1938 'Scotsman' triplet in 'The Northumbrian' is made from Rupert Brown's sides, etc? 

By 1958 (in fact, from its painting into BR maroon a year or two earlier) it would have carried the BR roundel below each car's branding.

Regards,

Tony. 

It is Tony, and John Houlden built it. As to the roundels, we are back to a situation we have discussed before. I relied on the builder to do the necessary research, instead of instructing him precisely. I have changed my approach now, but there are still things like this to be found on the layout, I'm afraid.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

I think that is all housing now having lain derelict for a long time. However, at least Grantham still retains some staion atmosphere unlike the horribly modern(?) Peterborough.

P

It is great that places like Grantham Newark and Retford still retain a good bit of their GN heritage, isn't it Phil?  The problem at Peterborough though was, I believe that the main buildings opposite the hotel were found to be riddled with rot of some kind, and thus had to be hastily demolished. No doubt the conspiracy theorists would tell us that was untrue though.

I visited Peterborough no more than a couple of times in my spotting days, so my recollections are hazy, but at Grantham one of my abiding memories is being able to look across to the shed and watch the goings on there. For some reason, a vista of soulless modern housing is something I find even more distasteful than when the area was just derelict. It was easier to see what had been in the mind's eye then.

• Agree 2

40 minutes ago, great northern said:

It is Tony, and John Houlden built it. As to the roundels, we are back to a situation we have discussed before. I relied on the builder to do the necessary research, instead of instructing him precisely. I have changed my approach now, but there are still things like this to be found on the layout, I'm afraid.

Thanks Gilbert,

I'd forgotten that................ I forget too many things these days!

Interestingly, my '38 FS triplet is from the same source, on both counts.

1927021637_1938Scotsmantriplet.jpg.bbbe682a43d0dedc3a5f343399056181.jpg

As part of a barter, John built most of this for me. I built the bogies/running gear, as well as (finally - they're not in place here) fitting the handles and grab rails as appropriate. 

1347664897_1938Scotsmantriplet.jpg.b7f65b5f6c92e2c3ce0c7ad9763eeb47.jpg

As part of a further barter, Geoff Haynes painted it for me (look out for Geoff's forthcoming Crowood book on painting models). I subsequently glazed the cars and made the interiors, writing it up in BRM some little time ago. Because most of the work in this set is not mine, I think I can say that it makes a splendid model, as does yours. 

In many ways, I've come across your predicament before, in that a commissioned model does not live up to 'expectations' on the part of he/she who 'pays the piper'. If you recall, I've had to add brandings to some other carriages you've had built by others. You are not unique, and I've done similar things on the behalf of other friends. We've discussed this before, but any painting I've commissioned has been accompanied by notes/instructions/photographs so that there is no ambiguity with regard to accuracy. I'm glad you're taking that approach now.

As for your triplet set; the next time I'm over, I'll fit the roundels. It really is a doddle.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

I too have been out in the garden......pulling ragwort before we let the 'orses mow the lawn. 

The other day after all that rain I was pulling ragwort in one the paddocks. It was like working in a paddy field, the water was six inches deep.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Gilbert

I too have been out in the garden......pulling ragwort before we let the 'orses mow the lawn. 

The other day after all that rain I was pulling ragwort in one the paddocks. It was like working in a paddy field, the water was six inches deep.

That's what comes of living in the fens. I suspect that your home may have been under the sea until they were drained, or at best just an expanse of mud and creeks. And we don't need any naughty persons suggesting that's what it is now.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

That's what comes of living in the fens. I suspect that your home may have been under the sea until they were drained, or at best just an expanse of mud and creeks. And we don't need any naughty persons suggesting that's what it is now.

Hi

It was marshland not the fens :) but you are quite right it was probably under the sea at some point.

Cheers

Paul

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, great northern said:

More Scotch goods tonight, but  no more commentary, as I'm not in the mood for it.

814523007_2goods2.JPG.ade3a2715d5704643c7274183d29059f.JPG

560319967_3goods3.JPG.a56eff921b56179c9dcf364b8d25d937.JPG

Morning Gilbert

I do like that first photo of 60003 on the goods, is that a new angle on your layout you have photographed?

Regards

David

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, landscapes said:

Morning Gilbert

I do like that first photo of 60003 on the goods, is that a new angle on your layout you have photographed?

Regards

David

I've tried it before David, but I don't much like the way the sky comes right down to the baseboard. There needs to be a backscene there, but I can't work out how to do it.

5 hours ago, great northern said:

I've tried it before David, but I don't much like the way the sky comes right down to the baseboard. There needs to be a backscene there, but I can't work out how to do it.

Hi Gilbert

i do agree with You although I did not want to comment for fear of causing offence.

But the photo i still superb all the same.

I had a similar situation with Haymarket so I built some narrow relief background buildings using card covered in brick paper and the other building using bass wood scribed and weathered to look like an old warehouse.

photos enclosed to show what I mean all at very little cost.

Regards

David

98306FC0-3F77-481B-A1CA-D37B07B09211.jpeg

ACB4A8FC-2509-4B3D-BEF4-7CDF45C4941B.jpeg

• Like 14

Hi Gilbert 

Another alternative is to build an embankment using polystyrene or a similar construction to what Tony did on Little Bytham

i then built and old dilapidated fence I used the large match sticks you can buy as the fence posts and the wooden coffee stirrers you get from cafes cut down to form the fence panels.

You can build this structure  as high as you like by adjusting  the embankment height.

Again a few photos to demonstrate.

I hope these photos may be of some help to give you a few ideas on what you can do.

Regards 

David

FFBA91AA-8B56-49C1-AB65-9684F5584418.jpeg.a7265429a6b59aa5bda641ce545d661f.jpeg

CECFE3A8-D844-4961-A6B0-9A3F958A7DE9.jpeg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, landscapes said:

Hi Gilbert 

Another alternative is to build an embankment using polystyrene or a similar construction to what Tony did on Little Bytham

i then built and old dilapidated fence I used the large match sticks you can buy as the fence posts and the wooden coffee stirrers you get from cafes cut down to form the fence panels.

You can build this structure  as high as you like by adjusting  the embankment height.

Again a few photos to demonstrate.

I hope these photos may be of some help to give you a few ideas on what you can do.

Regards 

David

FFBA91AA-8B56-49C1-AB65-9684F5584418.jpeg.a7265429a6b59aa5bda641ce545d661f.jpeg

CECFE3A8-D844-4961-A6B0-9A3F958A7DE9.jpeg

My usual problem intrudes David. I will only include what was actually there, and the prototype views through and beyond the bridge which I do have show the front on ends of stock in the carriage sidings, so that's what I need. I've fiddled about a bit with end on photos of stock in my fidddle yard, and minimising them to get the right effect, but so far without much success.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1