great northern

Peterborough North

Hi Gilbert

I too have been out in the garden......pulling ragwort before we let the 'orses mow the lawn. 

The other day after all that rain I was pulling ragwort in one the paddocks. It was like working in a paddy field, the water was six inches deep.

• Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Gilbert

I too have been out in the garden......pulling ragwort before we let the 'orses mow the lawn. 

The other day after all that rain I was pulling ragwort in one the paddocks. It was like working in a paddy field, the water was six inches deep.

That's what comes of living in the fens. I suspect that your home may have been under the sea until they were drained, or at best just an expanse of mud and creeks. And we don't need any naughty persons suggesting that's what it is now.

1 hour ago, great northern said:

That's what comes of living in the fens. I suspect that your home may have been under the sea until they were drained, or at best just an expanse of mud and creeks. And we don't need any naughty persons suggesting that's what it is now.

Hi

It was marshland not the fens :) but you are quite right it was probably under the sea at some point.

Cheers

Paul

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, great northern said:

More Scotch goods tonight, but  no more commentary, as I'm not in the mood for it.

814523007_2goods2.JPG.ade3a2715d5704643c7274183d29059f.JPG

560319967_3goods3.JPG.a56eff921b56179c9dcf364b8d25d937.JPG

Morning Gilbert

I do like that first photo of 60003 on the goods, is that a new angle on your layout you have photographed?

Regards

David

1 hour ago, landscapes said:

Morning Gilbert

I do like that first photo of 60003 on the goods, is that a new angle on your layout you have photographed?

Regards

David

I've tried it before David, but I don't much like the way the sky comes right down to the baseboard. There needs to be a backscene there, but I can't work out how to do it.

5 hours ago, great northern said:

I've tried it before David, but I don't much like the way the sky comes right down to the baseboard. There needs to be a backscene there, but I can't work out how to do it.

Hi Gilbert

i do agree with You although I did not want to comment for fear of causing offence.

But the photo i still superb all the same.

I had a similar situation with Haymarket so I built some narrow relief background buildings using card covered in brick paper and the other building using bass wood scribed and weathered to look like an old warehouse.

photos enclosed to show what I mean all at very little cost.

Regards

David

98306FC0-3F77-481B-A1CA-D37B07B09211.jpeg

ACB4A8FC-2509-4B3D-BEF4-7CDF45C4941B.jpeg

• Like 14

Hi Gilbert 

Another alternative is to build an embankment using polystyrene or a similar construction to what Tony did on Little Bytham

i then built and old dilapidated fence I used the large match sticks you can buy as the fence posts and the wooden coffee stirrers you get from cafes cut down to form the fence panels.

You can build this structure  as high as you like by adjusting  the embankment height.

Again a few photos to demonstrate.

I hope these photos may be of some help to give you a few ideas on what you can do.

Regards 

David

FFBA91AA-8B56-49C1-AB65-9684F5584418.jpeg.a7265429a6b59aa5bda641ce545d661f.jpeg

CECFE3A8-D844-4961-A6B0-9A3F958A7DE9.jpeg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

1 hour ago, landscapes said:

Hi Gilbert 

Another alternative is to build an embankment using polystyrene or a similar construction to what Tony did on Little Bytham

i then built and old dilapidated fence I used the large match sticks you can buy as the fence posts and the wooden coffee stirrers you get from cafes cut down to form the fence panels.

You can build this structure  as high as you like by adjusting  the embankment height.

Again a few photos to demonstrate.

I hope these photos may be of some help to give you a few ideas on what you can do.

Regards 

David

FFBA91AA-8B56-49C1-AB65-9684F5584418.jpeg.a7265429a6b59aa5bda641ce545d661f.jpeg

CECFE3A8-D844-4961-A6B0-9A3F958A7DE9.jpeg

My usual problem intrudes David. I will only include what was actually there, and the prototype views through and beyond the bridge which I do have show the front on ends of stock in the carriage sidings, so that's what I need. I've fiddled about a bit with end on photos of stock in my fidddle yard, and minimising them to get the right effect, but so far without much success.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

29 minutes ago, great northern said:

It's raining again, and the peonies have been battered to death. Smart meter to be fitted today, but I pity the poor person who has to work outside on it in this weather. Still, by this evening I should have yet another gadget which is smarter than me.

At PN, A4s rule again. Silver Fox has backed onto the Glasgow.

1991985768_517.JPG.d3660e5e492bf8ec5ee65245ec257705.JPG

and then Mallard rolls through with the Talisman.

98967295_622.JPG.9a51f9617044e24fdaba84f0789a75e6.JPG

Hi Gilbert

How long have you known our Phil, aka Mallard? You know he can't roll anywhere with his wonky leg.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Gilbert

How long have you known our Phil, aka Mallard? You know he can't roll anywhere with his wonky leg.

But this is 1958 Clive. Phil were nobbut a spring chicken back then. Well, spring duck in his case.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

Seen by the side of the road a few minutes ago, a car sporting a sign saying that it is " For SAIL".   Have we now reached nadir?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 minutes ago, great northern said:

Seen by the side of the road a few minutes ago, a car sporting a sign saying that it is " For SAIL".   Have we now reached nadir?

Just down the road to me there is a small yacht for sale and their sign says "For Sail" but I think they did that on purpose.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, great northern said:

Many years ago in Yorkshire I saw a sign outside a small garage offering "Puntcher repairs".

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

There's been a sign on Northallerton station warning people about the danger of standing too close to the platform edge because of 'turbulance' for over 10 years.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Informative/Useful 2

7 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Just down the road to me there is a small yacht for sale and their sign says "For Sail" but I think they did that on purpose.

That could have been useful a few days back?

Limp Duck

6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Many years ago in Yorkshire I saw a sign outside a small garage offering "Puntcher repairs".

Best one I have seen was in Greece, at a very small and far away resort popular with windsurfers. Rooms for Rend.

Yea.

LD