Peterborough North

great northern

4 hours ago, great northern said:

Just possibly an A2/3 David, but I can't see an A2/2 ever appearing, particularly as no two were alike.

Hi Gilbert

Do you think there is any chance of a RTR Thompson A2/3 in the near future.

I know some time ago Tony Write ask on one of the forums for member to express their interests in a RTR version and he was I believe talking to one of the two big RTR suppliers.

Regards

David 

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, landscapes said:

Hi Gilbert

Do you think there is any chance of a RTR Thompson A2/3 in the near future.

I know some time ago Tony Write ask on one of the forums for member to express their interests in a RTR version and he was I believe talking to one of the two big RTR suppliers.

Regards

David 

I doubt it David. It is some years since Tony did his sales pitch, and though apparently a manufacturer showed intial interest, nothing came of it. 15 engines, two of which would require some different tooling, BR only, and a relatively short life. It doesn't tick many of the boxes that seem to apply now, and it certainly isn't an iconic class such as the P2, for example. I'd like to be proved wrong, but I shan't be holding my breath.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, great northern said:

I doubt it David. It is some years since Tony did his sales pitch, and though apparently a manufacturer showed intial interest, nothing came of it. 15 engines, two of which would require some different tooling, BR only, and a relatively short life. It doesn't tick many of the boxes that seem to apply now, and it certainly isn't an iconic class such as the P2, for example. I'd like to be proved wrong, but I shan't be holding my breath.

BR only  not quite !!

Dennis Lovett when at Bachmann blanked the idea no real reason given. As they already have the correct tender it is a poor decision at best.

They have done the A2 in LNER livery x2 yet one AH Peppercorn 525 was a LNER for one day, and Sugar Palm 526 was a Loco  BR when introduced, so again bizarre reasoning as to why they ever done them, especially 526.

I am grateful to Bachmann's A2 and Graeme King's conversion kits  as a result I have more than enough of all the Thompson Pacific's in my fleet.

post-7186-0-92299600-1530897701.jpg                                                                                                    

• Like 10

13 hours ago, great northern said:

Every now and again, the camera is pointed through the arch separating Platforms 4 and 6. We've had some views of A3s and A4s, and now we get this.

1768669212_14arch.JPG.37ead0e2e56bbc9d4f2012f013a0e779.JPG

I don't think anyone could call that elegant. After it had disappeared northwards, it was the turn of the rundown Immingham B1 to head for home, though it is a bit slow on the uptake.

122460660_151143.JPG.c8ca962a142e86d40021295e8fe9176d.JPG

Hi Gilbert

I do like the red background to the nameplates on 60505, it sets it of well.

Regards

David

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, landscapes said:

Hi Gilbert

I do like the red background to the nameplates on 60505, it sets it of well.

Regards

David

Yes, I remember this. Tim said it had red backed plates, and I said it didn't, as they were restricted to A4s. Then he showed me the photo, as a result of which, it has.

• Informative/Useful 1

34 minutes ago, great northern said:

Another try at the Nene sidings background. More promising, I think? Some of the tracks in the foreground of the prototype shot need to be cut out, and it needs to extend further to the left, but otherwise not bad?

Doesn't help when I'm doing colour images though.985916828_newback2.JPG.7769d21ad02b03bfddf482be09568c8d.JPG

I'd say that the image needs rotating around three degrees anti-clockwise; basically, such things as signal posts need to be vertical.

X.JPG.ad8faad637679622f01253a189886580.JPG

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, cctransuk said:

I'd say that the image needs rotating around three degrees anti-clockwise; basically, such things as signal posts need to be vertical.

X.JPG.ad8faad637679622f01253a189886580.JPG

Regards,

John Isherwood.

It is a very rough mock up at present John. I still think a painted scene is the likely best option.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 31A said:

The backscene looks very good to me in the B2 picture!

It's getting there Steve. I've a free day tomorrow, and will try to tweak it still more. It doesn't even look as jarring being in b&w on a colour image now. There will be a solution, I'm sure.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Odd corner fan reporting in.  Or is that an odd fan, of corners.....:laugh:

And it is odd corners that date a model. These days everything that isn’t used has been razed to the ground, so even busy areas look empty. Thus Gilbert’s corner theme has a merit in reminding us further of the plethora of structures and compounds that were part of every railway scene in them thar days. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

Your backscene idea, I have been thinking about it.  Would a colour photo where most the colour has faded be better. Except on very clear days stuff in the distance always seems to be a lighter colour.

I bet someone has already suggested this but I have missed the post......sorry if you have.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Gilbert

Your backscene idea, I have been thinking about it.  Would a colour photo where most the colour has faded be better. Except on very clear days stuff in the distance always seems to be a lighter colour.

I bet someone has already suggested this but I have missed the post......sorry if you have.

Thanks Clive. I think you are right. My problem though is that photos like this are rare as hen's teeth, and I haven't yet seen one in colour. I will carefully search the Peterborough Images website to see if I can find one. In the meantime, the post below shows my latest effort.

• Like 1