Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, great northern said:

I've had a look now Clive. They are both numbered as Dia186 carriages. The crimson and cream one was built by Ian Willets, and he is very careful with his research. The other one is a conversion of a Hornby carriage, and the ventilators appear to be the right ones for a corridor carriage. I can't remember when or how I acquired that one, but it looks like someone has just put etched Dia 186 sides on an otherwise unaltered Hornby all door third. As usual, I have failed to notice. I'm as sure as I can be that the Willets one is correct.

Thank you Gilbert.

That is very helpful, as I am new to this LNER carriage malarkey I am trying to learn as fast as I am modelling. Tonight I cut the roofs to length for my five Railroad conversions, including my Second Open, they are starting to look like coaches, hopefully I will have the time to make some underframes tomorrow and take a few photos. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

I found this image in a very old MRC and wondered if it was of any use? The original, I am sorry to say, is rather poor and printed in a newsprint style.

Dsc04862.jpg.1d23c948a249b87dbb3af9566a2fbf7e.jpg

Thanks Martin. It is always interesting to see these shots, and on this one, that six wheeler in the DE siding immediately caught my eye. I'm wondering if it is one that Bill Bedford does. I'll ask Jonathan, he'll know.

I can't think why the train is "restarting" though, unless there has been a signal check.

On ‎08‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 22:20, great northern said:

Just to finish off the benefits of the work that has been done, the blinds can extend right down to track level if I wish to do that. Obviously, I won't, but I can take them far enough that the shadows caused by the overhang of the bookcases isn't a problem any more. The removal of the one on the window wall has not only helped tremendously with access, its absence has allowed far more light to get down that end. Of course I'm now thinking about what I could do beyond Spital Bridge as has been done at the Crescent Bridge end. We shall see.

I have far more still life photos than locomotive ones at present, so tonight we'll have two of them, the common theme being railings, and views through them.

I still have to do a double take at these, to be sure that I'm looking at your layout and not at the station approach as I remember it as a kid! I half expect to see myself, with my mate, whizzing past on our pushbikes, going to or from the station on a spotting session. Beautiful!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, great northern said:

Thanks Martin. It is always interesting to see these shots, and on this one, that six wheeler in the DE siding immediately caught my eye. I'm wondering if it is one that Bill Bedford does. I'll ask Jonathan, he'll know.

I can't think why the train is "restarting" though, unless there has been a signal check.

No problem Gilbert, I'll always send people pics of interesting stuff relevant to their threads. If you have any old MRCs this one was from Oct 1965, page 275. You may get more info from the original+magnifying glass than from my rather cruel enlargement.

A signal check was what I assumed as it certainly wouldn't have collected or dropped wagons.

I saw the 6-wheeler as well, plus beyond the two ballast wagons what looks like a 4w tool van.

I wondered as well if any of the rooflines or other features of the engineers buildings were new info to you?

10 hours ago, 35A said:

I still have to do a double take at these, to be sure that I'm looking at your layout and not at the station approach as I remember it as a kid! I half expect to see myself, with my mate, whizzing past on our pushbikes, going to or from the station on a spotting session. Beautiful!

Gilbert

I feel just the same. Very many thanks for your continual provision of nostalgia!

Lloyd

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

No problem Gilbert, I'll always send people pics of interesting stuff relevant to their threads. If you have any old MRCs this one was from Oct 1965, page 275. You may get more info from the original+magnifying glass than from my rather cruel enlargement.

A signal check was what I assumed as it certainly wouldn't have collected or dropped wagons.

I saw the 6-wheeler as well, plus beyond the two ballast wagons what looks like a 4w tool van.

I wondered as well if any of the rooflines or other features of the engineers buildings were new info to you?

This was a very popular view point for cameramen from Spital Bridge Martin, so I've already sucked it dry so far as the DE buildings are concerned. I don't think I shall ever get the views I needed, and its too late now, as Peter and I have done it all on a "best guess" basis.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, great northern said:

The C12 has detached from its train, and is waiting for a path to another resting place. Overnight the ski slope at the front has vanished, or nearly so anyway.

975582379_373982.JPG.2ef01fb75b22f72b4695a557e080caf6.JPG

Then we have a bus, but for some reason not on a bridge. The driver is the brother of the guy who drives the DMU, and he hasn't yet got the hang of destination blinds either.

113566183_52bus.JPG.8c72b096632b43abba7ff5eebfbe5851.JPG

Golf in gale force winds now, but I have managed to get the trains in the fiddle yard back in position, so hopefully tomorrow running can recommence.

Ah! Seeing that Bristol LS has reminded me I got out a Eastern Counties Bristol MW coach for you when you came to visit, then forgot to give it to you. It is still sat on the layout by Barnsley Junction. It is going to some place called Excursion, is that near Peterborough?

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

5 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Ah! Seeing that Bristol LS has reminded me I got out a Eastern Counties Bristol MW coach for you when you came to visit, then forgot to give it to you. It is still sat on the layout by Barnsley Junction. It is going to some place called Excursion, is that near Peterborough?

Clive

Barnsley is outside Easter Counties area, so must be an excursion to Barnsley, but why would anyone want to go THERE?

Lloyd

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

Clive

Barnsley is outside Easter Counties area, so must be an excursion to Barnsley, but why would anyone want to go THERE?

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd

That is a good question, I am sure there might be an answer somewhere.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Must be on a Mystery Excursion. Rather like Eastern Counties bus  operations with their helpful destination displays of SERVICE or RELIEF.

Having said that, I do miss dear old ECOC, from an era when we had proper bus services (and buses). And we threw it all away - just like we did the railways.

Progress I suppose.

Stewart

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Near enough, Clive.

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I don't know, but I once drove through a village on April Fools' Day where someone had changed all the village name signs to NOWHERE.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, great northern said:

Ten hours sleep with only one short comfort break folks, and I'm still tired. That won't stop me taking my first real opportunity to get going in the railway room since the changes though. Picture supply is dwindling, but there are still a few, the first being Brancepeth Castle pulling away after taking over from Velocity.

346071606_516262.JPG.5eb3c59d1e5603fbcbb8926e5d30efcf.JPG

When I started the still life series I called it "odd corners". Some of them didn't feature any, but this one certainly does.

1900554004_54darkcorner.JPG.e7f67a9632471e91560b086392c71c7c.JPG

Quite a dark one too. Incidentally, while clearing the bookshelves I found, on the very top shelf, a book entitled How to do Everything with your digital camera. I've already asked it to do the washing up, but it refused. We shall see what, if anything it can teach me about photographing PN.

I do like the reflection in the window.

• Like 3
  • Agree 8

9 hours ago, great northern said:

First thing to do is to show the latest additions to PN's rolling stock, which appeared just before the alterations .

Some time ago our very generous duck, Phil, gave me a number of Comet coach sides from the Aladdin's cave which is his loft, and I asked Steve (31A), to convert a couple of Hornby things into something more bearable. As usual, he rose to the occasion, and here they are.

TSO_1.JPG.09f0545cb1bc7619ed008f57f0e0ac76.JPG

TSO_2.JPG.80380b101e8f58e922abf1e82fbbd0a0.JPG

Lovely job, as always, and some very nice subtle differences in finish. I am now a bit closer to being able to model a train that featured no less than ten of these, but I'll give Steve a break and something different next.

Dia 186?