Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, great northern said:

Committee v Juniors this afternoon. They won, as usual. Most of them are about twelve years old too.

Time for a local from Grimsby, a job for a run down Immingham B1. This train left Grimsby at 5.49am, and stopped almost everywhere on its way to PN, save for three halts. Three hours later it staggered in, as seen here.

1882184439_101143.JPG.2a878737ddd626d1cfb8418037474b36.JPG

Fifteen minutes later, in comes the Grimsby- KX, which left an hour later, only stopped six times, and nearly caught up with it.

429299307_1111301.JPG.cf5c8ca3b7849e3cea5a292ad08aa513.JPG

Should our eminent denizen of Saltfleetby wish to take a virtual journey back to 1958, he would first have had to get to Theddlethorpe to catch the loop line train to Willoughby, as it didn't stop at his station. Assuming he couldn't afford a car back then, its a two mile walk to be at Theddlethorpe by 6.59am. Get off at Willoughby, and six minutes later the express should arrive, and whisk him to London by 1035.

More like 4 miles from where I am, and the Friday bus doesn't arrive until 1.59 pm. I am two miles form Saltfleetby station despite being on the same road.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

More like 4 miles from where I am, and the Friday bus doesn't arrive until 1.59 pm. I am two miles form Saltfleetby station despite being on the same road.

Why use the bus? You could ride the horse...

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Why use the bus? You could ride the horse...

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

What me on one of them........they are not designed for fat bald blokes.

But remember this is a virtual Clive. No point in going to anywhere on the old E.Lincs or the Mablethorpe loop now, as there is nothing left in most places.

In 1958 a slim fit and hirsute Clive would have leapt on his bike, and covered those four miles in no time at all.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, great northern said:

But remember this is a virtual Clive. No point in going to anywhere on the old E.Lincs or the Mablethorpe loop now, as there is nothing left in most places.

In 1958 a slim fit and hirsute Clive would have leapt on his bike, and covered those four miles in no time at all.

Not sure if I could ride a bike when I was one year old.

Only Mablethorpe station has gone, the others are all now dwellings. Most the crossing keepers cottages are still standing, except the one where Pam and Paul live, that burnt down in the 1960s. We nearly bought the one at Saltfleetby All Saints.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Not sure if I could ride a bike when I was one year old.

Only Mablethorpe station has gone, the others are all now dwellings. Most the crossing keepers cottages are still standing, except the one where Pam and Paul live, that burnt down in the 1960s. We nearly bought the one at Saltfleetby All Saints.

I was thinking more of the track bed Clive. The last time I looked, there was almost no trace anywhere.

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, great northern said:

I was thinking more of the track bed Clive. The last time I looked, there was almost no trace anywhere.

Very true, when you are at a point where the level crossings use to be you can make out where it went. Unlike a lot of other lines even looking at things like goggle satellite it is hard to trace, because it has been sold off to the local farmers who have been able to incorporate it into the fields as it is so flat here. In other places even the slightest undulation will result in a small cutting of embankment so is left alone by the farmers.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, manna said:

G'day Folks

Following on of your disenchantment of Golf.............how many loco's can you get for a bag of golf clubs ?????????

manna

My disenchantment with golf is temporary, or always has been up to now anyway. I've had to buy quite a lot of new stuff recently as well, and I'd make a thumping loss if I tried to sell those at present. Anyway, I don't need any more locos, and, as  all of you well know my ability to resist temptation is legendary, most of the time. Well, quite often anyway.

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, great northern said:

Seagull rolling slowly through passes 61130 which is about ready to continue its journey, next stop Huntingdon.

1141227354_1733andB1.JPG.5ef0d919689c055e4eeb613686ad0309.JPG

We still have someone up on the bridge too.

471723773_18frombridge.JPG.b70e91b69b465d9b479566793494643d.JPG

There is no prize for spotting extraneous objects which I forgot to move.

That nice new road barrier that doubles up as a pair of tweezers?  Behind the LMS van.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Jeff,

Go left from the post box and just over half way to the first tree. Gilbert even photoshopped around them.

That's because there were other intruders too, but I couldn't see a way of getting rid of the tweezers without making things look very strange, in which case you would have spotted that as well.

7 minutes ago, great northern said:

That's because there were other intruders too, but I couldn't see a way of getting rid of the tweezers without making things look very strange, in which case you would have spotted that as well.

You know I like a Photoshop challenge, Gilbert.

What tweezers?

471723773_18frombridge.JPG.b70e91b69b465d9b479566793494643d.jpg.c13d3746585beba1dba2915e00dc9e61.jpg

Cheers

Scott

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, great northern said:

I looked along the back of the photo because that is where you would dump stuff when operating the train set. :sungum:

• Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 2