great northern

Peterborough North

I'm usually quietly content to "Like" your photos Gilbert, but as other's have commented, that earlier shot is quite special, and deserves to be singled out.

Great work!

Regards

Scott

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

Gilbert

That last photo from Spittal Bridge is more or less as I remember it from sitting on my bike at the end of the parapet, and is so realistic. The only two bits that I am seeing standing out are the gap between the two lines on the right, and the gap behind the water tower. Have you got a suitable old photo that you could use as a backscene there? I would have thought that there should be a good few taken from that spot over the years.

Thanks again for giving me and others so much pleasure.

Lloyd

• Thanks 1

I really like that Gilbert, somehow puts me in mind of Cuneo’s famous painting of Clapham Junction - but a much better engine! :) I’ve cropped it a bit tighter to see how that looked. Or maybe let the engine come a bit farther...

Excellent photo though, one of my favourites of all you’ve done!

AAD60A96-BF8B-44EE-951B-28B76A103CFC.jpeg.4037fe18c876ee732c0308c0f714a874.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

I really like that Gilbert, somehow puts me in mind of Cuneo’s famous painting of Clapham Junction - but a much better engine! :) I’ve cropped it a bit tighter to see how that looked. Or maybe let the engine come a bit farther...

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_09/AAD60A96-BF8B-44EE-951B-28B76A103CFC.jpeg.4037fe18c876ee732c0308c0f714a874.jpeg

Hi Gilbert 

Great Photo, I do think the cropped version looks a little better.

But a very nice photo showing the extent of your layout all the same.

Regards

David

• Thanks 1

To crop, or not to crop?  I tend to alternate, because some people have said that they like to be able to see the whole extent of the layout.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FarrMan said:

Gilbert

That last photo from Spittal Bridge is more or less as I remember it from sitting on my bike at the end of the parapet, and is so realistic. The only two bits that I am seeing standing out are the gap between the two lines on the right, and the gap behind the water tower. Have you got a suitable old photo that you could use as a backscene there? I would have thought that there should be a good few taken from that spot over the years.

Thanks again for giving me and others so much pleasure.

Lloyd

This image intrigues me Lloyd. Can you help with it. A bit of the parapet appears on it, so is it possible that someone is standing on something, and thus able to get a different angle?604770824_V2SpitalBridge.jpg.262627ca8ba0b5332024a9e45871c265.jpg

Photo is copyright of Andrew C Ingram.

This is what we'd have seen if we'd been lucky enough to be there in the mid/late 50s. It could well be 1958, as 60902 had its last general at Doncaster in Jan 57, and may still be black. Look at the horizon. I worry when I can't get it sharp, but on this and other photos it can hardly be seen. With Spital Bridge shed just to the left, and all the other smoke being produced in the area as well, is this what things looked like most of the time?

• Like 9

9 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_09/AAD60A96-BF8B-44EE-951B-28B76A103CFC.jpeg.4037fe18c876ee732c0308c0f714a874.jpeg

I see that you've retained the flock of starlings Trevor...

• Funny 2

4 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I see that you've retained the flock of starlings Trevor...

That's what happens when you enlarge the thing, as I well know. It also happens when I hit "sharpen" at the end of the shopping. Things then appear that I couldn't see before. It is then, of course, not possible to do any further editing.

• Friendly/supportive 3

12 hours ago, great northern said:

This image intrigues me Lloyd. Can you help with it. A bit of the parapet appears on it, so is it possible that someone is standing on something, and thus able to get a different angle?https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_09/604770824_V2SpitalBridge.jpg.262627ca8ba0b5332024a9e45871c265.jpg

Photo is copyright of Andrew C Ingram.

This is what we'd have seen if we'd been lucky enough to be there in the mid/late 50s. It could well be 1958, as 60902 had its last general at Doncaster in Jan 57, and may still be black. Look at the horizon. I worry when I can't get it sharp, but on this and other photos it can hardly be seen. With Spital Bridge shed just to the left, and all the other smoke being produced in the area as well, is this what things looked like most of the time?

Gilbert

I think that the photographer must have had a step ladder. It is possible that they were particularly tall - remember that at that time I was not very tall, in fact I never have been, but it gives me the impression of being from more than just above the parapet.

There was often quite a bit of steam about, and I do not remember what was seen beyond Crescent Bridge or much of what was to the left of the station from that location, though I was of course much more interested in the trains than the surroundings at that time.

Going back to a theme of some time ago, Looking at this photo, I do not see much obvious point rodding, but what does stand out, and I also remember it now that i have been reminded, is the signal cables almost forming a fence to the right of the train. Was this the boundary between GNR and MR?

Lloyd

23 hours ago, FarrMan said:

Gilbert

I think that the photographer must have had a step ladder. It is possible that they were particularly tall - remember that at that time I was not very tall, in fact I never have been, but it gives me the impression of being from more than just above the parapet.

There was often quite a bit of steam about, and I do not remember what was seen beyond Crescent Bridge or much of what was to the left of the station from that location, though I was of course much more interested in the trains than the surroundings at that time.

Going back to a theme of some time ago, Looking at this photo, I do not see much obvious point rodding, but what does stand out, and I also remember it now that i have been reminded, is the signal cables almost forming a fence to the right of the train. Was this the boundary between GNR and MR?

Lloyd

:scared: Don't mention the point rodding Lloyd.  I really don't fancy that at all, and I don't really see how it could be done at this stage either. As to the signal cables, yes, I think you are right, those formed the boundary. Now I have thought about doing those, but 25ft of them?  That's enough to make me keep putting it off.

• Friendly/supportive 1

48 minutes ago, great northern said:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/emoticons/default_scare2.gif Don't mention the point rodding Lloyd.  I really don't fancy that at all, and I don't really see how it could be done at this stage either. As to the signal cables, yes, I think you are right, those formed the boundary. Now I have thought about doing those, but 25ft of them?  That's enough to make me keep putting it off.

Gilbert

I meant to imply that the point rodding, which I agree not to mention any more (!) is not noticeable in the photo, so it's omission is not important. I understand the difficulty of the signal cable, or on second thoughts, is it actually a fence? but it is more prominent. If I had the skills and was nearer to you, I would offer to do it for you, but I am sorry that both counts rule it out. Perhaps one of your very able fans will be able to help you out.

lloyd

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, great northern said:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/emoticons/default_scare2.gif Don't mention the point rodding Lloyd.  I really don't fancy that at all, and I don't really see how it could be done at this stage either. As to the signal cables, yes, I think you are right, those formed the boundary. Now I have thought about doing those, but 25ft of them?  That's enough to make me keep putting it off.

Dear Gilbert,

While totally sympathizing with your dilemma regarding how the signalman is able to indicate to the drivers if the line is clear and which line they are going to be sent down plus how he is going to enable the trains to go different directions without signal wires and point rodding I have only one thing to say. 

Just get on with it.  

• Funny 2

10 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Dear Gilbert,

While totally sympathizing with your dilemma regarding how the signalman is able to indicate to the drivers if the line is clear and which line they are going to be sent down plus how he is going to enable the trains to go different directions without signal wires and point rodding I have only one thing to say. 

Just get on with it.  

With what should I get on Clive? Doing signal wires and point rodding, or as is my wont, doing nothing?

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, great northern said:

With what should I get on Clive? Doing signal wires and point rodding, or as is my wont, doing nothing?

The choice is your Gilbert, but as a viewer I think point rodding and signal wires would look good.

You are going to say next I need to add them to my train set......well sir I do not but I do need to add the point machines and trunking for the cables.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The choice is your Gilbert, but as a viewer I think point rodding and signal wires would look good.

You are going to say next I need to add them to my train set......well sir I do not but I do need to add the point machines and trunking for the cables.

They would Clive, but for a layout this size it would be an enormous task.  I know Tony W has found doing the point rodding on Little Bytham onerous enough, so I can imagine how long mine would take.  Actually, I spent time today looking at prototype photos again, which reinforced my memory that most of the rodding seems to be laid in channels, and thus is not very visible. I suspect that it would have been necessary to put the channels in before laying any track if it was to be done at all.

• Like 3

G'day Folks

Get a certain Mr TW to do it for you, I'm sure a couple of Quid should do it................

manna

• Funny 3