great northern

Peterborough North

5 hours ago, FarrMan said:

King Gilbert

That double slip looks excellent. Must have been a nightmare working out the geometry. Congratulations. It just shows that not only is it an excellent model overall, but there is such fine detail to be found all over it.

Your humble servant

Lloyd

The slip was Norman Saunders' work Lloyd, nothing to do with me, except showing him that it had to be included.

25 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Isn't Peterborough normally like that?

image.png.10c967d9042de3ccc412db6ef2470cf3.png

Nope, it is like this on a Saturday night.

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Funny 7

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Isn't Peterborough normally like that?

Only when it is, Clive. Sometimes it is worse than that.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

10 hours ago, great northern said:

Time for another WD, on the Down slow as usual, and almost inevitably with coal empties. The only slightly novel thing is that these started from New Southgate.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_11/1536938468_1WD.JPG.9d5274a9a117fc94d1b244ac9329ebc6.JPG

Another forecourt view, but from ground level this time.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_11/975342755_11low.JPG.68078ef9ebe96907dd78e4b69b7dae00.JPG

That wierd looking man has to go. He came from Tetley's Mills, but even so he will be sent to stand somewhere far less conspicuous.

With a raincoat like that, and lurking around a corner - it's got to be the Phantom W*lly Waver !!!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, great northern said:

Another day nearly gone, and no golf club drama again. I could start to like this. Anyway, only three more months to do. I didn't feel like running trains today, I think I must have caught it off Clive, but we have plenty in store.

The 4.40pm Doncaster - KX was next on the sequence, at which point it ceased to be Friday, and became another weekday. Why? Because on Fridays this train contained eight TSOs, and I don't have that many, whereas on other days it loaded only to six, which is easy. That means Sun Castle's fireman should be having a nice easy shift.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_11/1463270036_25231.JPG.c1647b353827e9be221d992c62487d5f.JPG

I had to rescue this image from the recycle bin. How it got in there, I do not know. A strange formation this, only six cars, but two are CKs, and a third an FK. Why such a high proportion of first class seating, I wonder?

Next, we shall stand at the end of Station Approach, and well er..... look at the station.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_11/2104078554_12stationapproach.JPG.0f1cd6a8bfcd763c555516eda2ce33a8.JPG

Hello Gilbert,

I have run trains this evening. I didn't last night as I was at the model railway club, but I did have an afternoon session yesterday which was most enjoyable. Not too sure if I will tomorrow but I am off to the Spalding Show for inspiration.

10 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hello Gilbert,

I have run trains this evening. I didn't last night as I was at the model railway club, but I did have an afternoon session yesterday which was most enjoyable. Not too sure if I will tomorrow but I am off to the Spalding Show for inspiration.

Spalding show? I though it was next weekend, because it usually is, so I've got other things on, and won't be able to get there. My regards to all present.

There is a significant number of plonkers on RMweb, Gilbert, but IMHO you are not among them. I hope this helps.  

• Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

29 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

There is a significant number of plonkers on RMweb, Gilbert, but IMHO you are not among them. I hope this helps.  

But I cannot tell a lie Ian. I plonked the camera down in that spot, so what does that make me, in this context anyway? Perhaps placed would have been a better word, but there we are.

We also have plenty in the golf club, by the way.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

22 hours ago, great northern said:

A nice quiet day, though there was a need to revisit the law of contract involved. It is only 53 years since I sat my Law Society exam, so I had remembered some of it. Invitation to treat, for anyone interested.

The Compound looks a treat as it waits for the guard's whistle.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_11/900721154_611572.JPG.7e702e9515ab8d86c6ac0a9ac00241b5.JPG

but this one strikes me as a trifle boring.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_11/1830653305_16corner.JPG.88a62a920fef6e2412b87f3ee160469c.JPG

Invitation to treat ? Has that old trouble maker Mrs Carlill been on about a rebate on her cheap day return to Cleethorpes again , or are you involved with some private owner wagons from the Carbolic Smoke Ball Company ? ;)

More importantly , a question if I may about the Derby Lightweight you showed running in from Skegness a couple of pages back. Was that a bit of modellers licence or do you have a record of Derby Lightweights running in Lincolnshire in 1958? The reason I ask is that according to some sources ( e.g . Railcar UK)  all the Derby Lightweights had left Lincolnshire by about April 1957 but my memory tells me I saw them running through Market Rasen , which couldn’t have been earlier than the early sixties. 

1 hour ago, jazzer said:

Invitation to treat ? Has that old trouble maker Mrs Carlill been on about a rebate on her cheap day return to Cleethorpes again , or are you involved with some private owner wagons from the Carbolic Smoke Ball Company ? https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/emoticons/default_wink.png

More importantly , a question if I may about the Derby Lightweight you showed running in from Skegness a couple of pages back. Was that a bit of modellers licence or do you have a record of Derby Lightweights running in Lincolnshire in 1958? The reason I ask is that according to some sources ( e.g . Railcar UK)  all the Derby Lightweights had left Lincolnshire by about April 1957 but my memory tells me I saw them running through Market Rasen , which couldn’t have been earlier than the early sixties. 

A golf club member who has been giving us grief did not have his membership renewed. He thought we couldn't do that. He was wrong.

By 1958 Lincolnshire had a lot of 114s, but my memory tells me I still travelled on Derby lightweights, the view from behind the driver being spectacular. I may of course be wrong.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

1 hour ago, great northern said:

A golf club member who has been giving us grief did not have his membership renewed. He thought we couldn't do that. He was wrong.

By 1958 Lincolnshire had a lot of 114s, but my memory tells me I still travelled on Derby lightweights, the view from behind the driver being spectacular. I may of course be wrong.

Good evening, Gilbert. I have just consulted the following book. ‘Lightweight DMU’s, The Early Derby Works And Metro Cammell Units’ by Evan Green-Hughes. On page 32, it states the first three sets went from Lincolnshire to East Anglia on the first class 114’s arriving, but it took two years before all of the lightweights had been transferred to E. Anglia. That will help to explain your memory of being sat behind the driver and enjoying the  view after 1957. I hope this is of some help.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Informative/Useful 4