Peterborough North

great northern

31 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

Not to belittle George, but Rocket was the work of his son, Robert. George played no part in the design. He was a bit busy, building the L&M.

Yes a point we’ll made. Since you mention the L&M lets say then filling in Chat Moss to build the line across it , which I think is still in operation today. The point is those old railways pioneers worked so many things out themselves that still hold good today

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jazzer said:

Yes a point we’ll made. Since you mention the L&M lets say then filling in Chat Moss to build the line across it , which I think is still in operation today. The point is those old railways pioneers worked so many things out themselves that still hold good today

Not so much filling-in Chat Moss - surely it's still there?

What George did was, to all intents and purposes, to 'float' the railway across Chat Moss. OK, it slowly sank to the bottom as more fill was piled on top of the floating base, but the genius was in conceiving the floating foundations. (Though I've a feeling that the Romans did something similar).

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Here is something to complement your room Gilbert. The catalogue for Great Central Auctions 7th December sale dropped through the letterbox this morning. Within is a totem for Peterborough North (one for Peterborough East as well).....tempting?

Peterboro_North.jpg.6c0fef42f53c32cbc10eff7c97a548d4.jpg

I purchased a Totem for 'Sandy' about 6/7 years ago, it cost me about £2000 but it is the cleanest one I've seen. It was a lot of money but I do get a lot of satisfaction when I see it on the wall over the layout.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

Here is something to complement your room Gilbert. The catalogue for Great Central Auctions 7th December sale dropped through the letterbox this morning. Within is a totem for Peterborough North (one for Peterborough East as well).....tempting?

Peterboro_North.jpg.6c0fef42f53c32cbc10eff7c97a548d4.jpg

I purchased a Totem for 'Sandy' about 6/7 years ago, it cost me about £2000 but it is the cleanest one I've seen. It was a lot of money but I do get a lot of satisfaction when I see it on the wall over the layout.

It would be on the "nice to have if I won the lottery" list, but I really do have quite a lot of things which would take priority for that sort of money. It has been a very expensive year!

• Like 1

On 19/11/2019 at 08:31, great northern said:

Another sunny morning. The promised fog has not occurred, and the golf course is open.:sungum: So, with carry bag, a few clubs, and some frogman's flippers, if I can get my hands on some, off I shall go a bit later on.

Not many A4s are seen at Platform 6, so 60010 got snapped again. This is one of the dwindling number of untimmed A4s, and it does show up in this shot.

1716791013_10102.JPG.03bb40b98d7e591264c2ae20f278c8f3.JPG

The 8.30 to Melton Constable is in the bay platform. Until 1957 Melton had some Clauds, though they were mainly, if not exclusively, used on trains to Norwich and the Cromer area. Today there has been a late Ivatt failure, and so one of Spital Bridge's D16s is standing in. Did someone say that it is a New England duty, and that shed has plenty of spare Ivatts? Must be fake news.

23682353_11Claud.JPG.0b592595ecc2b92432ac438fac10a625.JPG

That wonderful picture of the D16 ready to go over the M&GN reminds of a story from R. H.N . Hardy in one of the magazines some years ago.  Long before the days when Elf en Sayftee were invented , when Dick Hardy was Mechanical Foreman at South Lynn, a Claud was due to take a train out when a leaking firebox stay was discovered in the firebox , which would have needed the loco to be taken out of service and the train cancelled. But railwaymen had a strong sense of duty  in those days so the shed foreman, according to Hardy, ordered the fire to be moved across to the opposite side of the firebox, then he wrapped himself in wet sacks, climbed into the fire box hand hammered the rivet in to stop the leak and the D16 took the train out. 

If the story had come from from anyone else other than Dick Hardy I would have difficulty believing it but he has a whole raft of similar personal experiences from the ‘40’s and 50’s of heroic efforts railwaymen made in those time to keep the trains running , often with run down, worn out machinery, to be paid shirt buttons, with no thanks from an unappreciative public. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, great northern said:

It would be on the "nice to have if I won the lottery" list, but I really do have quite a lot of things which would take priority for that sort of money. It has been a very expensive year!

Expensive....I know exactly what you mean :rolleyes:

They're certainly a lottery win item, I had to build a 3 bedroom house before I could buy mine :D 

• Funny 3

Just now, great northern said:

Unpleasant things going on at the golf club at present, so I'm not a very happy bunny.

It strikes me that it is a good thing that you have Peterborough North with which to calm your ire - I thought that golf was supposed to be a relaxing sport ?!?

I'm glad that anything competitive - especially if it involves balls - has always done absolutely nothing for me !

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

It strikes me that it is a good thing that you have Peterborough North with which to calm your ire - I thought that golf was supposed to be a relaxing sport ?!?

I'm glad that anything competitive - especially if it involves balls - has always done absolutely nothing for me !

Regards,

John Isherwood.

It's the politics and personalities John, not the game itself. As Chairman, I'm there to be shot at, and some people do just that. Only two months more of my term left though.

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold

After a couple of weeks in Sherry's flat, where I use a MacBook Pro laptop for Internet access, I am now back home - and the 27" screen on the iMac makes Gilbert's pics stand out even more. These are so good!

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1