great northern

Peterborough North

Just now, great northern said:

Unpleasant things going on at the golf club at present, so I'm not a very happy bunny.

It strikes me that it is a good thing that you have Peterborough North with which to calm your ire - I thought that golf was supposed to be a relaxing sport ?!?

I'm glad that anything competitive - especially if it involves balls - has always done absolutely nothing for me !

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

It strikes me that it is a good thing that you have Peterborough North with which to calm your ire - I thought that golf was supposed to be a relaxing sport ?!?

I'm glad that anything competitive - especially if it involves balls - has always done absolutely nothing for me !

Regards,

John Isherwood.

It's the politics and personalities John, not the game itself. As Chairman, I'm there to be shot at, and some people do just that. Only two months more of my term left though.

• Friendly/supportive 9

G'Day Folks

Pssssssssst, wanna buy a hot firearm, with ammo, only cost you a K2.

manna

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

manna

Free postage from Oz?

• Funny 4

44 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Free postage from Oz?

Tracked and signed for? :D :P ;)

• Funny 5

3 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

manna

A K2? No way. Now if you had said a Pannier, that might be different.:jester:

• Funny 4

After a couple of weeks in Sherry's flat, where I use a MacBook Pro laptop for Internet access, I am now back home - and the 27" screen on the iMac makes Gilbert's pics stand out even more. These are so good!

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 21/11/2019 at 22:22, great northern said:

Unpleasant things going on at the golf club at present, so I'm not a very happy bunny. There are some nasty people on this planet. Never mind, I will concentrate on more pleasant happenings, such as those on a fine evening in the summer of 58. Here's the Immingham B1 again.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_11/2105044683_210982.JPG.43254b86bbf76b5d7ffbd6cdf6355b2c.JPG

while the D16 won't be leaving for a few minutes yet.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_11/317066421_32530.JPG.62d96ea65764d65a17841d540bcd1999.JPG

On a second look, something I never noticed the first time , although it was staring me in the face , was the burnished smokebox door brackets of the B1 , with a few soot smuts on them apparently . So typical of certain sheds of the period as they tried to brighten things up as the country dragged itself out of rationing and austerity. This is a tiny detail that really gives layout authenticity but very rarely seen in model form

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jazzer said:

On a second look, something I never noticed the first time , although it was staring me in the face , was the burnished smokebox door brackets of the B1 , with a few soot smuts on them apparently . So typical of certain sheds of the period as they tried to brighten things up as the country dragged itself out of rationing and austerity. This is a tiny detail that really gives layout authenticity but very rarely seen in model form

This is what Immingham did with a few of their B1s, mainly those which where rostered to the Kings Cross trains. They looked a bit peculiar when the loco was very run down though. Tim and I now do everything from photos, and his eye for small detail is very good indeed, so I have the good fortune to run locos like this. Actually, a run down one has just backed on to the stock for the last Grimsby local during today's operatiing session, so that one may well feature in a few days time.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, great northern said:

Here's another shot of the fish. I've fiddled with this for ages, but I can't get it to look right, so comments welcome as to why it doesn't work, and the same applies to having a fiddle with it yourselves.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_11/126272659_4fishunder2.JPG.ee26fa1bb95c9604ceeff9da0173bba2.JPG

It almost looks moonlit to me.

Then it is time for another WD.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_11/1618766671_5WD.JPG.8de875523d6e501f3ea0b088a4b5909e.JPG

The background is too bright on this one, but if I tone that down I lose all detail. Perhaps I should accept that sometimes there just isn't enough light?

Gilbert

I am far from being as expert as some of those who regularly contribute here for our enjoyment, but I wonder if the fish looks fishy with being a head on view on a tight curve. The front wheels of the bogie are obviously too far to the left leaving that bare space under the right buffer. Apart from that, there is something atmospheric about it.

Keep up the enjoyment yourself, and please continue to share it with us.

Lloyd

Very nice, the only thing that really gives it away is the wheel thicknesses, I've often wondered if narrow wheels are possible? Do you intend adding a backscene at some point, if so what type?

Edited by phil.c

2 hours ago, phil.c said:

Very nice, the only thing that really gives it away is the wheel thicknesses, I've often wondered if narrow wheels are possible? Do you intend adding a backscene at some point, if so what type?

Backscenes have been mooted many times, but despite some experiments I've never found satisfactory solutions, with the exception of the low relief buildings behind the District Engineers area. I'm still messing about with the view through Crescent Bridge, and I'm reasonably confident something may come of that. I'd also like to do something where Spital Bridge shed used to be, but there are difficulties with perspective from different angles, and in getting suitable photos to work from.

That leaves one area on the other side, to the rear of Station Road. Photos of that area are almost unknown, and there is the added complication that I don't want to compromise the view from the central viewing area.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Have you tried Photoshopping the backscene with anything, just to see what works?

Have you posted a trackplan?

Edited by phil.c