Jump to content

great northern

Peterborough North

Recommended Posts

Gilbert

 

This came to mind as you mentioned trying to photograph at this time of year:-

 

NOVEMBER

 

No sun - no moon!
No morn - no noon -
No dawn - no dusk - no proper time of day.
No warmth, no cheerfulness, no healthful ease,
No comfortable feel in any member -
No shade, no shine, no butterflies, no bees,
No fruits, no flowers, no leaves, no birds! -
November!

 

Thomas Hood

  • Like 9
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
2 hours ago, Anthony said:

Gilbert

 

This came to mind as you mentioned trying to photograph at this time of year:-

 

NOVEMBER

 

No sun - no moon!
No morn - no noon -
No dawn - no dusk - no proper time of day.
No warmth, no cheerfulness, no healthful ease,
No comfortable feel in any member -
No shade, no shine, no butterflies, no bees,
No fruits, no flowers, no leaves, no birds! -
November!

 

Thomas Hood

Also, from Flanders and Swann:

 

Dark November brings the fog,

Should not do it to a dog.

  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, phil.c said:

Have you tried Photoshopping the backscene with anything, just to see what works?

 

Have you posted a trackplan?

My photoshopping abilities are very limited. I can just about manage to add a sky background, and that's it, so  I'm afraid I haven't done anything like that. It would have to be what was really there in 1958, and hardly any of that is still there now, so I'm not sure how it could be done at all frankly.

 

I think there is a very rudimentary track plan about 886 pages back in the thread, but I've never posted a full plan on here, though it has appeared in various magazines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Anthony said:

Gilbert

 

This came to mind as you mentioned trying to photograph at this time of year:-

 

NOVEMBER

 

No sun - no moon!
No morn - no noon -
No dawn - no dusk - no proper time of day.
No warmth, no cheerfulness, no healthful ease,
No comfortable feel in any member -
No shade, no shine, no butterflies, no bees,
No fruits, no flowers, no leaves, no birds! -
November!

 

Thomas Hood

What about no golf? No black Friday would be good though.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

G'Day Folks

 

Come to South Australia, November is beautiful, the cold of winter is gone and the Heat of summer hasn't built up yet, long days, short nights, perfect.

 

manna

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, great northern said:

What about no golf? No black Friday would be good though.

 

Hmm - no cricket would be my concern, but perhaps rhyming would be the greatest challenge!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

 

Come to South Australia, November is beautiful, the cold of winter is gone and the Heat of summer hasn't built up yet, long days, short nights, perfect.

 

manna

 

3 hours ago, Anthony said:

 

Hmm - no cricket would be my concern, but perhaps rhyming would be the greatest challenge!

Adelaide Test starts on Friday!

 

However, Sydney hasn't altogether been the place to be for the past couple of weeks, what with the bush fire danger then yesterday a storm cell that in 8 minutes caused 1500 power interruptions affecting over 70,000 customers. Our power is still off, although fortunately we don't seem to have suffered any structural damage.

 

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/plan-to-be-without-power-ausgrid-warns-sydneysiders-after-storm-wreaks-havoc-20191127-p53ege.html

  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, great northern said:

My photoshopping abilities are very limited. I can just about manage to add a sky background, and that's it, so  I'm afraid I haven't done anything like that. It would have to be what was really there in 1958, and hardly any of that is still there now, so I'm not sure how it could be done at all frankly.

 

I think there is a very rudimentary track plan about 886 pages back in the thread, but I've never posted a full plan on here, though it has appeared in various magazines.

You are right, there's not many pictures of the area in 1958, I found one of the station area but very low res, I've added it below.

 

I couldn't find the trackplan, roughly what is the overall size?

1302136228_test2.jpg.561ee9843017fde807074fb1a6c7392a.jpg

 

 

Edited by phil.c
  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, phil.c said:

You are right, there's not many pictures of the area in 1958, I found one of the station area but very low res, I've added it below.

 

I couldn't find the trackplan, roughly what is the overall size?

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_11/1302136228_test2.jpg.561ee9843017fde807074fb1a6c7392a.jpg

 

 

The layout is 25ft by 10, and basically it is station on one side and fiddle yard on the other. Inevitably it is much compressed, loads of sidings are missing, and there are sharp curves at each end where none should be. However, the basic running lines are all in the right places, so I can run the right trains more or less in the correct manner, and that is what I wanted to be able to do.

 

You've made a very nice job of that image, but unfortunately that background belongs on the East side of the station, not the North. Behind Spital Bridge very few buildings were in view, as the main running lines ran dead straight, while to the right was the entrance to the huge New England yards. Getting the right backgrounds in the correct places is proving to be very difficult indeed.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A solitary image again this morning, and as yet another horrible wet day has nearly dawned, getting any more done may prove to be difficult. Nevertheless, a bit of significant progress will take place later.

 

 

1718933195_420701.JPG.a7b642798348bf9c3c44b19bb4162b10.JPG

A quite long parcels train has travelled a very short distance- just a mile from East. This K1 seems to be the regular performer on the duty. That background needs to be manipulated, but I haven't a clue how to do it.

  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry about the East and North confussion but I'm not familiar with that area.

 

The problem with the background picture is it's taken at a higher angle, hence the tracks seem to be running up hill, the best your going to get with it would be to drop the whole picture so that the running stock is down close to your baseboard but even then it's not going to be quite right.

 

If your going to add a backscen at some time you are probable going to use a gereric one that's typical of the area in 1958.

 

Edited by phil.c

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, phil.c said:

Sorry about the East and North confussion but I'm not familiar with that area.

 

The problem with the background picture is it's taken at a higher angle, hence the tracks seem to be running up hill, the best your going to get with it would be to drop the whole picture so that the running stock is down close to your baseboard but even then it's not going to be quite right.

 

If your going to add a backscen at some time you are probable going to use a gereric one that's typical of the area in 1958.

 

Gilbert

 

I have not had a proper look at that area for over 50 years now, but, whereas your model is immediately recognizable, that backscene brings back no recollections at all. Unless there is clear evidence to the contrary, I would doubt that it is Peterborough at all.

 

Lloyd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The same everywhere I guess!

 

If you want me to drop the background picture down etc, please PM it to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slightly off topic, but I have been trying to identify where the first photo in the Backtrack feature this month was taken. It appears to show GNR No1 in 1938 when the new coaching stock on the Flying Scotsman was introduced. It claims to be on arrival at Peterborough, and shows No1 front to the right, next to what appears to be a platform on the far side, with behind that a brick building with at least 6 gable ends immediately at the back of the platform. Has anyone any idea where this was taken?

 

Lloyd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's the photo I'm thinking of, it's taken in the platform nearest the windows, platform 6.  The gable ends, if I recall correctly, were on a roof which fell down/was demolished either during or not long after the war.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

If it's the photo I'm thinking of, it's taken in the platform nearest the windows, platform 6.  The gable ends, if I recall correctly, were on a roof which fell down/was demolished either during or not long after the war.

Thanks. That sounds likely, though surely it is facing KC, so 'on arrival' would be a bit inaccurate. I do not remember a roof on that bit, as I was not born until after the war.

 

Lloyd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

Thanks. That sounds likely, though surely it is facing KC, so 'on arrival' would be a bit inaccurate. I do not remember a roof on that bit, as I was not born until after the war.

 

Lloyd

 

 

Neither was Mr Wealleans.  Was that the  2nd Boer War though?

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I've seen pictures of it in that platform facing both ways.   It ran a number of tours after the 1938 press stunt, so the pictures could have been taken on any of those occasions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jwealleans said:

If it's the photo I'm thinking of, it's taken in the platform nearest the windows, platform 6.  The gable ends, if I recall correctly, were on a roof which fell down/was demolished either during or not long after the war.

Spot on Jonathan, except that the collapse occured in the mid 50s. I have a photo of a 9F passing when it is still fully intact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

Visitor from the north checking in.

 

No goods trains running during the daytime today as the engineers took a possession at the south end of the station to attend to the ailing down bracket signal.

 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_11/WP_20191127_12_03_31_Pro.jpg.788b900398874aaeda2180df218b3f5f.jpg     https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_11/WP_20191127_12_04_11_Pro.jpg.f2bfd723f962abf9d5228b5d5b9ea972.jpg

 

That's better. Crew knocked off for a hearty lunch pending connecting up of the actuating rods

 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_11/WP_20191127_13_10_42_Pro.jpg.08e4b99faec5cd6f9ea99a00c21dd092.jpg

 

Lines now given back. Hopefully there'll be a train or two along shortly.

 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_11/WP_20191127_15_21_18_Pro1.jpg.256ecdb6e0a6823d2439ba9749c409c2.jpg

 

'Tis the North end actually, but still a lovely job, for which I am very grateful, as looking at the old one had got my teeth grating. I was much impressed by your determination to get it dead right, the considerable manual dexterity, the lack of complaint while squashed into unnatural contortions, and the total absence of inappropriate language, even when things were not co-operating.

 

Of course it does now show up all the others, so I look forward to that being remedied in due course. Once again, many thanks Graham.

  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

 

Adelaide Test starts on Friday!

 

I'll be there for Day 1! Although forecast doesn't look great for the remaining days - so might actually have a 5 day Test? By that I mean we might get a few shower interruptions, like a normal English summer day.

 

Andrew

Edited by Woodcock29
typo
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.