great northern

Peterborough North

Gilbert,

as we look at it is the right hand smoke deflector loose or is it an optical illusion.

8 hours ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Gilbert,

as we look at it is the right hand smoke deflector loose or is it an optical illusion.

Just sprung away a little Derek, but as usual the camera makes it look much worse. It will be going in to works shortly, as someone forgot it should have a different diagram boiler, so all can be remedied then.

• Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, great northern said:

Sea Eagle is at the head of the first sleeping car express of the evening, so our man recorded the formation, though I think he may have done it before.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_12/496844780_2rake2.JPG.e72d5d04f7f6b29a8a2bc13c149ab4e5.JPG

Gilbert,

It's good to see the sleepers again. I hope they're coping with your curves OK now?

Andy

5 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Gilbert,

It's good to see the sleepers again. I hope they're coping with your curves OK now?

Andy

After adjustment of the couplings, Andy,

They ran fine. Lovely work by the way.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1

What track are you using, scratched pointwork or commercial?

8 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Gilbert,

Andy

Yes, Tony has made sure they do. I really would like another slleping car formation, but I really fancy the Gresley 66ft 6 cars, which creates a large problem.

2 hours ago, phil.c said:

What track are you using, scratched pointwork or commercial?

Norman Saunders of Just Tracks built the pointwork on the station side. If I remember correctly it is C&L based, but a lot of it was scratchbuilt. Fiddle yard side is Peco code 75.

3 hours ago, great northern said:

Yes, Tony has made sure they do. I really would like another slleping car formation, but I really fancy the Gresley 66ft 6 cars, which creates a large problem.

I've spoken to Andy at Isinglass about 3D printing the Gresley 66 footers and he was quite positive about the idea. If that comes off, I'm sure I could knock one or two up for you.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, great northern said:

Norman Saunders of Just Tracks built the pointwork on the station side. If I remember correctly it is C&L based, but a lot of it was scratchbuilt. Fiddle yard side is Peco code 75.

That looks like SMP Finescale then?

1 hour ago, phil.c said:

That looks like SMP Finescale then?

It's nearly ten years ago, but yes, I believe it is.

9 minutes ago, great northern said:

It's nearly ten years ago, but yes, I believe it is.

I think SMP as still trading but under another name, all my track is SMP phosphor bronze flexi plus scratch built points, nearly thirty years old now :huh:

On 03/12/2019 at 08:37, great northern said:

Today I shall be shopping, followed by paddling and a bit of shivering. At PN though, it is still a balmy evening, as Cambridge's B2 Framlingham enters with the Colchester- Glasgow.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_12/771131250_716031.JPG.76fb171effb4195a29f633cd3d12550e.JPG

It is a long train this evening, though most of it is still parcels traffic, so the B2 ends up standing well clear of the platform.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_12/628165609_816032.JPG.d99048fab72df8f4afc8ac024a8f0f80.JPG

How would the driver have known where to come to a halt?

Did the guard help?

Edited by JeffP
Stupid auto correct

3 minutes ago, JeffP said:

Did the guard help?

I would assume so Jeff, though if the driver was a regular visitor to PN he would have a good idea himself probably. No doubt our ex railwaymen will be able to give us a definitive answer.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JeffP said:

Did the guard help?

In them thar days there was a concept foreign to 2019 - platform staff, and plenty of them. They'd have given handsignals to the driver. 

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, phil.c said:

I think SMP as still trading but under another name, all my track is SMP phosphor bronze flexi plus scratch built points, nearly thirty years old now https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/emoticons/default_huh.png

SMP is still available. The brand is now owned by Marcway (usual disclaimer).

http://www.marcway.net/smp.php

On 03/12/2019 at 08:37, great northern said:

Today I shall be shopping, followed by paddling and a bit of shivering. At PN though, it is still a balmy evening, as Cambridge's B2 Framlingham enters with the Colchester- Glasgow.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_12/771131250_716031.JPG.76fb171effb4195a29f633cd3d12550e.JPG

It is a long train this evening, though most of it is still parcels traffic, so the B2 ends up standing well clear of the platform.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_12/628165609_816032.JPG.d99048fab72df8f4afc8ac024a8f0f80.JPG

A balmy evening indeed .  The Colchester - Glasgow would have been passing through at around 9.30, I think and it’s still almost broad daylight . It must be mid to late June when the pictures were taken, so well done to your photographer for staying out late to provide us all with such superb shots, and he didn’t even have a digital camera.

Looking at the other photo of Sea Eagle with the first of the sleeping car expresses its interesting to note the amount of overnight Anglo Scottish traffic there was in the late 1950’s . There we’re seven overnight sleepers on weekdays, plus one sleep- your- seat  and only eight daytime through trains. 

1 hour ago, jazzer said:

A balmy evening indeed .  The Colchester - Glasgow would have been passing through at around 9.30, I think and it’s still almost broad daylight . It must be mid to late June when the pictures were taken, so well done to your photographer for staying out late to provide us all with such superb shots, and he didn’t even have a digital camera.

Looking at the other photo of Sea Eagle with the first of the sleeping car expresses its interesting to note the amount of overnight Anglo Scottish traffic there was in the late 1950’s . There we’re seven overnight sleepers on weekdays, plus one sleep- your- seat  and only eight daytime through trains. 

But there are some of us who can remember double daylight saving time. According to records that was last tried from 1968 to 1971, bu I reckon that is a typo and that it actually started in 1958. That being the case, there was still plenty of light on a fine evening, even in August.:jester:

• Funny 4

6 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

In them thar days there was a concept foreign to 2019 - platform staff, and plenty of them. They'd have given handsignals to the driver. 

Things don't change much except it's the passengers giving the signs these days.:mocking_mini:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

1958 or now, I still see people waving at 'special' trains. The child in me loves this and I will wave at some superb steam loco's crew and the passengers as they pass in a rush of steam, smoke and sometimes, lights. 

Sadly I sometimes wave at aircraft passing over 36E and they maybe 30+ thousand feet above me! Don't ask...….:crazy_mini:

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Gilbert

The only way I can tell that the top three are of the model, is the porter with the barrow. I assume that the bottom one is genuine, but the others look so realistic.

Lloyd