Peterborough North

great northern

On 04/12/2019 at 22:16, great northern said:

Nice views, but pigs to photoshop.

So in the TV/movie industry, bluescreening gave way to greenscreening, but the idea is simply to take a colour which isn't found in the shot you're masking.

If you hang (or velcro) some contrasting cloth/curtains around the room (say, bright orange) for these shots, might that make it easier to 'shop in the new sky?

(Don't you ever get tempted to add in a Dakota or a Tempest patrolling up there?)

Edited by FoxUnpopuli
Dreams of flight...
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, FoxUnpopuli said:

So in the TV/movie industry, bluescreening gave way to greenscreening, but the idea is simply to take a colour which isn't found in the shot you're masking.

If you hang (or velcro) some contrasting cloth/curtains around the room (say, bright orange) for these shots, might that make it easier to 'shop in the new sky?

(Don't you ever get tempted to add in a Dakota or a Tempest patrolling up there?)

I did try that a while back. I positioned some bright yellow card behind all those lattice signals, thinking it would, as you say, be such a contrast that shopping would be easy. Owing to my incompetence, or that of the programme, more likely the former, I just got thin but extremely visible yellow borders round each lattice.:sad_mini2:

Never thought about aircraft, I have to say. We did have some starlings a few pages back though.

• Like 1

As long as the background is reasonably uncomplicated with clutter etc and looking at your early pictures of the room, the walls are clear, then it's easy enough to erase the background and super impose whatever sky you like there. ;)

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, phil.c said:

As long as the background is reasonably uncomplicated with clutter etc and looking at your early pictures of the room, the walls are clear, then it's easy enough to erase the background and super impose whatever sky you like there. ;)

It's hard to explain, Phil. Erasing the background often  takes some doing, as colours all seem to turn to shades of grey. That includes my blue walls, and the white blinds recently installed to hide my bookcases. Then there are the lattice post signals, which at some angles get superimposed one upon another. Behind them is the darkest corner of the room, and that's when things get beyond my capabilities.

• RMweb Premium

Tonight we get a look at the V2 which has stood pilot all day, waiting for the call that never came.

797022480_21V2.JPG.841c444b6a3f42d89ce868c50e4b6017.JPG

Then we come to Wednesday, when I decided I had to get some more photos taken. About 2.30pm the sun was bright but very low, and shining cleverly through the slats of the blinds. A 9F appeared with a York parcels, and we leaned out from Crescent Bridge to get this shot.

1097081213_12177.JPG.b70ea4600da0282e0eb7981fda75d08a.JPG

I never set the camera to auto, but this shot came out with such peculiar tones that it wouldn't have been worth showing. Messing about with Digital Photo Pro I changed it from daylight setting to auto, and it transformed itsef into this. Most peculiar. Here's what it looked like before I did that.

IMG_2056.JPG.ab80cfd2e234a362262d88260744520a.JPG

• Like 16

1 hour ago, great northern said:

It's hard to explain, Phil. Erasing the background often  takes some doing, as colours all seem to turn to shades of grey. That includes my blue walls, and the white blinds recently installed to hide my bookcases. Then there are the lattice post signals, which at some angles get superimposed one upon another. Behind them is the darkest corner of the room, and that's when things get beyond my capabilities.

If you have Photoshop, (I can't speak about other programs but they have similar tools) the magic want tool can work good providing as I said, the background isn't cluttered which yours isn't,  a tolerence of 30 seams to be the norm, just click on an open area, it will be selected, i.e.  Marching ants around the circumference, then hit delete on the keyboard, signal  lattice work etc is easy, you just click on the areas to be deleted. The tolerence can be higher education or lowered if the selection isn't quite right.

The original picture needs to be copied and then turned off, a picture of your chosen sky is added as a layer and dragged underneath the copy, so that when the selected areas are deleted, the sky show through.

Edited by phil.c

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, phil.c said:

If you have Photoshop, (I can't speak about other programs but they have similar tools) the magic want tool can work good providing as I said, the background isn't cluttered which yours isn't,  a tolerence of 30 seams to be the norm, just click on an open area, it will be selected, i.e.  Marching ants around the circumference, then hit delete on the keyboard, signal  lattice work etc is easy, you just click on the areas to be deleted. The tolerence can be higher education or lowered if the selection isn't quite right.

The original picture needs to be copied and then turned off, a picture of your chosen sky is added as a layer and dragged underneath the copy, so that when the selected areas are deleted, the sky show through.

That's what I'm doing, but with Paint.Net rather than Photoshop. Being a free programme it may well be less accurate I suppose, or it could just be me.

18 minutes ago, great northern said:

That's what I'm doing, but with Paint.Net rather than Photoshop. Being a free programme it may well be less accurate I suppose, or it could just be me.

The other way but it takes a little longer is to create a path by adding nodes around the main area, then selecting it and cutting it.

1 hour ago, great northern said:

The ECS from Delaval sidings to Holloway is next, with a rather neglected KX V2 doing the job.

2062569503_18621.JPG.cb0205663923f3bf485cddf1a52b1848.JPG

I really must ask the photographer what was the point of taking the next one.

2024613575_2862dot.JPG.9c905b17c966e57e4baa21d60c48bf67.JPG

He had one frame left on his film, and wanted to finish it so as to be able to take it out and put a new one in quickly.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, phil.c said:

1162533206_loco13.jpg.e707cf5a150b8ba9fb7b49f9beace7c7.jpg

G'day Folks

Not something you really see on a Model railway. Weather. You get the odd snow scene or a bit of added rain, but a threatening sky, when it's about to chuck down........

If it was Kings Cross, you would expect the tunnels are about to be filled with water !!

manna

17 hours ago, SVR C & W said:

There are a few more videos uploaded by the same guy on vimeo. One of the best ways to spend 25 minutes a time. 

Sigh...I start watching those, click on another, then another, migrate to cabrides and half a day is gone...

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1