great northern

Peterborough North

34 minutes ago, JeffP said:

Going back to the A2's, how much easier will their introduction as models make the construction of 60113 in it's final guise?

The short answer is no easier at all Jeff.

There is almost no commonality of parts. The drivers are a different diameter (6' 8" on the A1/1; 6' 2" on the A2/2, and all the other Thompson Pacifics), the wheelbase is different (the A1/1 had a longer overall wheelbase than a P2!), the connecting rods are longer, as are the coupling rods, the smokebox/boiler/firebox arrangement is different (60113 had an A4 boiler and firebox - the latter smaller than the A2/2s), the cab, though similar to an A2/3, is not the same - flat-fronted, yes, but with beading and no rivets, the large smoke deflectors are unique to 60113 (no large handrails and a completely different shape to the A2/3 style) and GREAT NORTHERN didn't have the lower handrails on the firebox. However, its tender was similar to that towed by 60501/2. 

473125472_RM005GREATNORTHERN.jpg.66327dcae9cb1b7ce89fa4aad2dfb0cc.jpg

Dare I stick my neck out and say that this loco will NEVER be available RTR? 

I made it from a Crownline kit, and Ian Rathbone painted it.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Funny 2

2 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

The short answer is no easier at all Jeff.

There is almost no commonality of parts. The drivers are a different diameter (6' 8" on the A1/1; 6' 2" on the A2/2, and all the other Thompson Pacifics), the wheelbase is different (the A1/1 had a longer overall wheelbase than a P2!), the connecting rods are longer, as are the coupling rods, the smokebox/boiler/firebox arrangement is different (60113 had an A4 boiler and firebox - the latter smaller than the A2/2s), the cab, though similar to an A2/3, is not the same - flat-fronted, yes, but with beading and no rivets, the large smoke deflectors are unique to 60113 (no large handrails and a completely different shape to the A2/3 style) and GREAT NORTHERN didn't have the lower handrails on the firebox. However, its tender was similar to that towed by 60501/2. 

473125472_RM005GREATNORTHERN.jpg.66327dcae9cb1b7ce89fa4aad2dfb0cc.jpg

Dare I stick my neck out and say that this loco will NEVER be available RTR? 

I made it from a Crownline kit, and Ian Rathbone painted it.

Regards,

Tony. 

I never expected to see a RTR Hush Hush or Duke of Gloucester, let alone Thompson pacifics. Nothing would suprise me anymore.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

As I have a spare P2 kicking around I do wonder, if one could by any chance get hold of an A2/2 body, would it be relatively simple to chop it around a tad to end up with this?

P2 V2.jpg

• Like 9
  • Funny 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bigwordsmith said:

Interestingly Tony I cannot find a link to Wright writes anywhere on RMWeb - would you mind sharing one?

ATB

Peter

Hi Peter

You may have accidentally clicked on the “ignore this topic  “ button at the top of the page, it’s in a red box below the reply to topic button in a yellow box.

I have done this a few times just find a link back to Tony’s thread open it and check, if you have re click on it and all should be OK.

Hope this helps you. 

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes
Additional information

41 minutes ago, bigwordsmith said:

As I have a spare P2 kicking around I do wonder, if one could by any chance get hold of an A2/2 body, would it be relatively simple to chop it around a tad to end up with this?

P2 V2.jpg

WTH is that? It looks beautiful.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

WTH is that? It looks beautiful.

Happy New Year Phil, and indeed all my fellow RMWebbers

We are very fortunate at the Bluebell to have an excellent artist - I'm sure his name is Martin Cousins, anyway, he  also enjoys playing around with a bit of photoshoppery.

THis one started life as a photo of Green Arrow in BR days and he got to musing, 'what if?'

I'm itching to produce one for Waverley East as and when it gets back out of hibernation!

Edited by bigwordsmith
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

45 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi Peter

You may have accidentally clicked on the “ignore this topic  “ button at the top of the page, it’s in a red box below the reply to topic button in a yellow box.

I have done this a few times just find a link back to Tony’s thread open it and check, if you have re click on it and all should be OK.

Hope this helps you. 

Regards

David

Got it - Thanks David - you guessed correctly!

If anyone hasn't yet seen the fertility of Matthew's imagination this  page is well worth a visit!

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

I like the picture of the J50.  Whilst not technically perfect I'm sure, it is very atmospheric.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi Gilbert

You share a photo of a pretty Ivatt 0-6-0 loco, followed by what must be Gresley's ugliest loco a J50. When you think of it a J50 is only a Ivatt 0-6-0 buried under those disproportionate sized water tanks.  I have one on Exchange, it brings in the coal trains now and then for the loco sidings.

• Informative/Useful 1

We called the J50's "Coffee Pots". The J52's were more common round Doncaster.

22 hours ago, bigwordsmith said:

If anyone hasn't yet seen the fertility of Matthew's imagination this  page is well worth a visit!

It's a long term goal that should hopefully come to fruition this year between a 3D printer, a Hornby P2 and a Great British Locomotives A2, but I intend to give the version of Mons Meg a crack. It's always seemed the nicest proportioned of the lot of photoshops, and very much a look of what could have emerged had Peppercorn rebuilt the P2s with parts avaliable to him at the time, such as a Dia. 118 boiler.

Though this does leave me to wonder if I should go all out and go for it being a 'P3' with a new name and number rather than a rebuilt 'P2/4'-I've always wanted to use the name 'Will 'o the Wisp' on a loco.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, great northern said:

My guest today was Andy, The Green Howards, so not unnaturally there was much talk of train formations, cassettes and the like. We also discussed Hornby A2/2 and A2/3, and the temptation placed in our paths. I even stopped talking long enough to run two or three trains, which did not fall off too often. A very pleasant day indeed.

A different angle from the bridge cuts out the floating part of Crescent Bridge, but places the main point of interest even further to the side of the composition.

1904965223_9frombridge2.JPG.7b08d3a688c5c11fc09bd796ef8fc7b0.JPG

No such problems when one comes back down to ground level.

1850114094_9508last.JPG.dc99f8eb1d42598a680de8a7757f1fe4.JPG

Thanks for your hospitality today Gilbert. As you said, some interesting discussion on formations and their variation from day to day and I found your description of how the cassettes work good food for thought. I need to work on getting the best out of mine.

I can confirm that we had two long coal trains circulating continually while we discussed a wide range of issues.

Andy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Gilbert

You share a photo of a pretty Ivatt 0-6-0 loco, followed by what must be Gresley's ugliest loco a J50. When you think of it a J50 is only a Ivatt 0-6-0 buried under those disproportionate sized water tanks.  I have one on Exchange, it brings in the coal trains now and then for the loco sidings.

Ugly?!!!! I think you mean purposeful at worst. Nothing the great man designed could be called ugly. And compared with those ugly waddling copper clad ‘duck’ things on the railway which must not be mentioned they are positively beautiful!

• Agree 5
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

G'Day Folks

J52's were called 'Coffeepots' around KX,  J50's were called 'U Boats'. Loved 'em all.

manna

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, great northern said:

Now comes a loco that is very much in the news at present. Its progress  was closely followed as it came in from the North.

10_700_1.JPG.b89e3ce2f50eca4f635a201bbe8cad6c.JPG

This time my new efforts to make shopping of lattices easier worked better.

193032688_117002.JPG.75855060f25660600c349079bad3be4d.JPG

Still those overlapping signals give problems from this angle, but the result is nevertheless better than before.

Another visitor today, who has kindly agreed to give me a tutorial.

Very enjoyable today, Gilbert,

Thank you for your hospitality. 

'Another visitor today, who has kindly agreed to give me a tutorial.'

Not so much a tutorial, but a recommendation to change those ghastly tension-lock couplings. They cause derailments and seem to come apart with gay abandon. 

I think the best course of action is to identify which cars' couplings to change, then I'll set about making replacements.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Very enjoyable today, Gilbert,

Thank you for your hospitality. 

'Another visitor today, who has kindly agreed to give me a tutorial.'

Not so much a tutorial, but a recommendation to change those ghastly tension-lock couplings. They cause derailments and seem to come apart with gay abandon. 

I think the best course of action is to identify which cars' couplings to change, then I'll set about making replacements.

Regards,

Tony. 

I must agree with Tony, when I was running long trains on my Waverley to Ricardinho line, the tension locks were forever coming apart. I tried swapping to kadees, but with mixed results.

ive read some Tony’s articles in couplings and am just glad I didn’t go for wholesale conversion of 200+ coaches, as it looks like a big engine shed is all I’m going to have room for!

32 minutes ago, bigwordsmith said:

I must agree with Tony, when I was running long trains on my Waverley to Ricardinho line, the tension locks were forever coming apart. I tried swapping to kadees, but with mixed results.

ive read some Tony’s articles in couplings and am just glad I didn’t go for wholesale conversion of 200+ coaches, as it looks like a big engine shed is all I’m going to have room for!

The problem seems to be several-fold...........

The derailing/splitting carriages on PN today were, with one exception, all Bachmann Mk.1s (which, one might think, should be compatible?). 

I've not fully-investigated the couplings  - other than immediately removing them and chucking them away off any Bachmann carriage (or any other RTR vehicle I might have), but they seem to be attached to a sprung collar around the bogie's pivot, which extends on entering curves. This (it would appear to me) restricts the bogie's free swing, causing jumping and subsequent derailing. Not only that, as the couplings extend, they appear to droop, causing them to part.

My advice to Gilbert is to embark on a process of my making replacement couplings (of my own design) and replacing the horrid tension-locks. It could be some time - Gilbert counted over 300 carriages today!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

33 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I've not fully-investigated the couplings  - other than immediately removing them and chucking them away off any Bachmann carriage (or any other RTR vehicle I might have), but they seem to be attached to a sprung collar around the bogie's pivot, which extends on entering curves. This (it would appear to me) restricts the bogie's free swing, causing jumping and subsequent derailing.

That's the close coupling mechanism. It's really good if used properly, but as supplied can cause problems. The intention is to close the coaches right up close on straight track so there isn't an unsightly gap between the gangways, but still let the coaches go round set-track radius curves. Unfortunately, they don't work properly with tension locks.

What actually goes wrong is with weight on the drawbar (perhaps something that doesn't run freely, or is particularly heavy, or just a long train), the coaches want to pull apart, and the springs aren't strong enough to keep the couplers in-line. With both couplers kinked to the side, the train then arrives at the next curve. There's a 50% chance the couplings are on the wrong side (compared to which side they'd go to on the curve), and when this happens you may get a derailment or decoupling.

Replace the tension locks with something that keeps the coupling in line and doesn't let it twist on the straight, and the problem goes away. Bachmann provide a fixed bar (which looks a bit like a vacuum hose) in the box -- this works really well (but obviously results in fixed sets). I am using the Hornby R8220 coupler (the one that looks like a Roco clone) -- I found this the best "easy" compromise in Bachmann Mk1s.

I didn't have great luck trying kadees -- they had the same problem, not keeping the pockets in-line.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Hornby diesels now come with a similar close coupling mechanism. Perfectly fine when pulling coaches or longer wheelbase 4w wagons like MGR hoppers. However, get a lager wagon with small bogies like a 100t tank and the coupling often pulls the bogie off on corners.

Again, it's due to the coupling not re centering and remaining kinked to one side.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Let's have the evening images first, before contemplating TW putting his patent couplings on in excess of 300 carriages. There's one more view of 60700.

863099802_127003.JPG.311364d1319d610079195b3f69eb8120.JPG

Now here's a train that behaved perfectly, but that was several days ago when no visitors were observing. It was followed by the 8.00am Newcastle, with 60065.

915914787_12a651.JPG.7c6118d30d4a22b3a4b7208d0fe1dd52.JPG

This one disgraced itself in front of both Andy and Tony by both derailing and parting. Tony did manage to cure one car which kept falling off, but on the next circuit two more, which had hitherto behaved, flung themselves off with gay abandon.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3