Jump to content

great northern

Peterborough North

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, great northern said:

 

I was about to say that filth does have a certain fascination, but I won't, as it might provoke replies which involve wilful misinterpretation.

 

 

 

One man's filth is another man's art...

  • Informative/Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, phil.c said:

That's a nice bridge, kit built I assume?

 

Phil

The basis of it is a Roco kit. I first bought one in the early 80s, as even back then I was thinking about the possibility of modelling PN one day. That one eventually got put on the loft layout, and was transferred down to PN when that project started. Then I bought another kit, and in consultation with Peter Leyland decided to start again and do a job tailored to its new location. Fortunately the span is just right for the tracks it has to cover, so Peter used that part of the kit, and then scratchbuilt the rest around it.

 

 

  • Informative/Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Quote ;-  "Sun Stream as usual. It is possible that York may acquire another loco or two in about twelve months time, so its monopoly may be broken "

By 60512 Steady Aim, 60522 Sun Castle or Even 60524 Herringbone.

first two most likely as the third one is a bit fishy.:heart_mini:

522 was Straight Deal, Derek. I'd like Steady Aim, which was the one I saw most often, but if Hornby do it as stated it has the wrong boiler for 1958. York also has the possibility of an A2/2 or a V2, or possibly even both, so the A2/3 might be a local one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may be very naive, but even after 74 years experience to the contrary, I still try to think the best of people. Many thanks to both Derek and Clive, who have sorted what was a genuine misunderstanding in the first place. My faith in human nature is at least temporarily restored.:sungum:

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, great northern said:

Many thanks to both Derek and Clive,

 

 

If you think I'm going to let that opportunity pass, you've got another think coming!

 

image.png.99e72603b69bdf823d8e06fc87fee1a1.png

 

As I was saying:

One man's filth.

Another man's art.

Edited by jukebox
  • Like 4
  • Funny 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, great northern said:

 A crowded scene looking North from on high.

 

 

1510453390_171.JPG.55b9a76cf85b9fdb80700f67dd955614.JPG

The Ivatt will no doubt be off along the M&GN shortly, and a BG is being reversed onto the Ely-Birmingham stock at Platform 6. An A4 with headboard gives the scene added anticipation.

 

 

1083431162_272.JPG.32e6f065b069c9414d9b63f0a6d7fde8.JPG

Close enough now for the spotters to be disappointed, but surely they wouldn't shout "scrap it" at Sir Nigel, would they? That forest of signal arms would be daunting for a driver who didn't know the road, I should think.

Sorry if this is a daft question, but I don't know the answer. Wouldn't the Scotsman or any other named train be in maroon? Or would that be more likely by 1960?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, davidw said:

Sorry if this is a daft question, but I don't know the answer. Wouldn't the Scotsman or any other named train be in maroon? Or would that be more likely by 1960?

It probably "should" be all maroon David, officially that is, but most 1958 photos seem to show a mixture nevertheless. Mine has 8 maroon to 3 crimson and cream, but two of the latter happen to be at the front of the train.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks I've just been leafing through a Keith pirt colour album and one on York. You're quite correct. I think only when seeing in model form, do I then really look at prototype pictures.

Edited by davidw
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, davidw said:

Thanks I've just been leafing through a Keith pirt colour album and one on York. You're quite correct. I think only when seeing in model form, do I then really look at prototype pictures.

 

David, 

He normally is with prototype research. I think it goes with the territory of his profession !!

  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/02/2020 at 22:15, great northern said:

Gayton Hall arrives with the Ely-Birmingham.

 

 

1265739450_71641.JPG.7352c24005775da9a2f5e55faa6974f2.JPG

and is captured again before uncoupling and heading off to the sheds.

 

 

1499590519_816412.JPG.0bb30884db3386ed96982d97cca2070f.JPG

 

There were certainly some strange train services in 1958 . Who in their right mind would be wanting to travel from Ely to Birmingham back in them days ?  A few years after that  I travelled from Ely to Peterborough behind a (Green) Brush Type 2 / class 31 towing three wonderful old Gresley coaches apparently deputising for a failed DMU. There was literally nobody else on it apart from me (train spotter) and two other boys apparently going swimming in Peterborough. It only stopped at March where nobody got on or off. There must have been times when it had no passengers at all.

Why they needed to pay Dr B.Ching  £24 k a year to tell them these services were uneconomic is beyond me . I could have told them that for nothing. 

A wonderful opportunity to model B17’s in their dying days though..........

Lovely pictures.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jazzer,

it was called a service, if Mrs Jazzer needed to attend a hospital appointment in Birmingham,she could get there from her palatial home in Ely. If her next door neighbour wanted to work in Essendine he could get there by train. If Mrs Cutler a resident of Peterborough wanted to visit the "Ship of the Fens" (Ely Cathedral) she could get there  by  - you've guessed it by CAR.

:D                                                            

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jazzer said:

 

There were certainly some strange train services in 1958 . Who in their right mind would be wanting to travel from Ely to Birmingham back in them days ?  A few years after that  I travelled from Ely to Peterborough behind a (Green) Brush Type 2 / class 31 towing three wonderful old Gresley coaches apparently deputising for a failed DMU. There was literally nobody else on it apart from me (train spotter) and two other boys apparently going swimming in Peterborough. It only stopped at March where nobody got on or off. There must have been times when it had no passengers at all.

Why they needed to pay Dr B.Ching  £24 k a year to tell them these services were uneconomic is beyond me . I could have told them that for nothing. 

A wonderful opportunity to model B17’s in their dying days though..........

Lovely pictures.

 

There was a reasonably frequent service from Birmingham to Leicester anyway, and one from Leicester to Peterborough, so one would expect local traffic to be picked up between those points. To take the service on to Ely would also provide a route from the West Midlands through to East Anglia, with connections to Cambridge and Norwich. Perhaps there wouldn't be many people going the whole way, but the train needs to be looked at as a series of shorter journeys, I think.

 

I believe this train, or something very like it, continued for some years after the end of steam, so there must have been a viable income from it. Wasn't it quite well known as being one of the last loco  and carriages trains in the area? A Brush 2 and four or five cars, as I recall?

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In 1969 I certainly caught a mid-afternoon New Street - Norwich service and travelled throughout. But the train didn't serve Ely, cutting straight across to the Norwich line. 

  • Informative/Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/02/2020 at 12:01, Clive Mortimore said:

She turns up on a Mod's Lambtretta only to go and ride some Rocker's Bantam. I would loved to see her ride her scooter around the wall of death.

 

I remember my dad taking us to the wall of death at Southend, boring. I wanted to go back to Victoria and watch the trains.

 

Hi Gilbert, hope all is well with you. Been a lurker right from the start of PN, but sadly my technical knowledge on stock is limited, so I just watch the trains go by.....

 

However, as a mod back in the 60's, I'm not totally convinced that is a Lambretta...(pedant mode).

 

My first two wheeler was a Lambretta D and then an LD and I can't recall ever seeing a Lambretta with a fixed front mudguard as per the video. My TV175 was later and that was fixed, but not the early ones.

 

Can't put my finger on it and I be way off, but wondered if it was an NSU or similar whose name escapes me....

 

Someone here will know....

 

Edit: Could be the rest of the day written off now. Peugeot, BMW, Heinkel or Puch come close, but not exact.......:D

Edited by gordon s
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I travelled from Ely to BNS and return regularly in the early 2000s.   It was generally a 2 car 170 or on a bad day a 158 by then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still searching but the nearest I've got is this pic of a KTM....

 

https://doyoulikevintage.postx2.com/image/130889691374

 

Front end looks OK, but the panel vents are different.

 

Either way, it's a very rare beast.

 

Thanks for posting the video, Clive. An enjoyable trawl through a misspent youth...:D

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Jazzer,

it was called a service, if Mrs Jazzer needed to attend a hospital appointment in Birmingham,she could get there from her palatial home in Ely. If her next door neighbour wanted to work in Essendine he could get there by train. If Mrs Cutler a resident of Peterborough wanted to visit the "Ship of the Fens" (Ely Cathedral) she could get there  by  - you've guessed it by CAR.

:D                                                            

 

Ah but if Mrs J. had a palatial home in Ely I would never have met here as I only went there once and never went off the station. Therefore I would have had a lot more spare cash so instead of a bit of track in the garage that may one day resemble a model railway, I could have knocked two rooms into one and had my own Peterborough North instead of drooling over someone else's. :D

  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to know just where in Ely there is a palatial home....this is the Fens y'know

 

Stewart

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, great northern said:

There was a reasonably frequent service from Birmingham to Leicester anyway, and one from Leicester to Peterborough, so one would expect local traffic to be picked up between those points. To take the service on to Ely would also provide a route from the West Midlands through to East Anglia, with connections to Cambridge and Norwich. Perhaps there wouldn't be many people going the whole way, but the train needs to be looked at as a series of shorter journeys, I think.

 

I believe this train, or something very like it, continued for some years after the end of steam, so there must have been a viable income from it. Wasn't it quite well known as being one of the last loco  and carriages trains in the area? A Brush 2 and four or five cars, as I recall?

 

According to the Summer 1960 timetable there were 3 DMU  week day services plus a Fridays only DMU between Ely and PN . The first of these were all stations the others called at March only so the stations at Chettisham , Black Bank and Manea seem to have only one train per day. All of those originated at Cambridge, but only one ran through to Birmingham. In addition there was the loco hauled Colchester-Glasgow and two late trains from Liverpool St that reached Peterborough in  the early hours. There couple of trains that originated for from places like  Hunstanton,  and Yarmouth through to Birmingham but these cut out Ely and joined the route at March. 

I suppose in the pre-motor way era and before the days of widespread car ownership  people depended on these routes more than we might imagine today.

The Brush 2 hauled train you mention could well have been the1.55pm ex-Cambridge via St Ives, (not Ely) -Birmingham  which didn't rumble in  to its final destination until 7.5 pm. or a replacement for a failed DMU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

I travelled from Ely to BNS and return regularly in the early 2000s.   It was generally a 2 car 170 or on a bad day a 158 by then.

 

 Could have been a 142. :o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Could have been a 142.

 

Then I could have claimed compensation.

  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jazzer said:

 

According to the Summer 1960 timetable there were 3 DMU  week day services plus a Fridays only DMU between Ely and PN . The first of these were all stations the others called at March only so the stations at Chettisham , Black Bank and Manea seem to have only one train per day. All of those originated at Cambridge, but only one ran through to Birmingham. In addition there was the loco hauled Colchester-Glasgow and two late trains from Liverpool St that reached Peterborough in  the early hours. There couple of trains that originated for from places like  Hunstanton,  and Yarmouth through to Birmingham but these cut out Ely and joined the route at March. 

I suppose in the pre-motor way era and before the days of widespread car ownership  people depended on these routes more than we might imagine today.

The Brush 2 hauled train you mention could well have been the1.55pm ex-Cambridge via St Ives, (not Ely) -Birmingham  which didn't rumble in  to its final destination until 7.5 pm. or a replacement for a failed DMU

We moved to Cambridge (when I was 10 in 1959). From memory (and I lived alongside the loop at Milton Road), most Cambridge-March trains went via the St.Ives loop. I seem to recall one journey that we took went via Ely, that seemed very rare and exciting! Trainspotting at Chesterton Junction (the site of the present Cambridge North) seemed to confirm this as most trains on the Ely line were Kings Lynn or Norwich services.

 

Stewart

 

ps most services nowadays on the loop go to St.Ives or Huntingdon, though I saw one last week for Peterborough. I even photted a new electric at St.ives ! (for those not in the know, guided buses....)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.