Peterborough North

great northern

8 hours ago, great northern said:

Tango time. 63957 gets a run through on the main with another load of empties.

33342253_639571.JPG.3922975b5b7d3841e1739ea3e50f29d3.JPG

314851234_739572.JPG.a628a774bac1470ec6bdb08ddcfdb5f2.JPG

I've just had a little panic, as I thought I'd forgotten to pull the signal off to allow the train to proceed, but it turns out that I hadn't.

Just me then Gilbert, who forgets to pull the signals off.

Do like the going away shots.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, great northern said:

Actually, I now have two flying foxes in my aquarium, though they look more like fish to me.

Being a Fox myself, and thus listing all locomotives with 'Fox' in their names and figuring out how I can justify owning them... I have just spent the last fifteen minutes researching tropical fish!  :D

I always loved looking at the neons in aquaria when I was a kid, but I think I'll stick to the model railways. 

Good luck with sorting the pump, Father's been on the Skype this morning, apparently, one of the windows on his home went from 'a bit drippy' to 'a raging flood zone' with all this weather happening.  And the power's just dropped out right here, so there's definitely some weather happening here (as if the noise of the howling gale outside wasn't clue enough.)

Stay safe, PN fans.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Just heard on the news that the Dartford bridge is closed! that'll go down well.....

And Dover ferryport closed too.

Must be bad....I crossed the channel on 30th april 2018, and was told that it was "the worst storm to hit the channel in 100 years".

Crossing took 5 hours after a 3 hour delay at Dover, and needed two tugs to get onto the berth at Calais.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Sherry is just embarking on Mont St Michel at Caen (Ouistreham) and hopes to be in Portsmouth tonight. With a tail wind the vessel may make up some time, having lost an hour coming over from Portsmouth. Apparently a BA 747 has made a new record flight time for NY-London, reaching 825 mph at one point. It's an ill wind....

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, great northern said:

That really was a wild day, with one fifteen minute burst of torrential rain and fierce wind the like of which I haven't seen for a long time. Fortunately it all remained outside, where it belonged.  I shall not be getting up early to play golf tomorrow though.

Flying Fox again tonight.

That tender just doesn't look right. Behind the A3 came the afternoon local from Hitchin, with Madoqua in charge, as it often is. Perhaps not for much longer though, as its progress becomes more erratic each time it runs.

The tender does look strange, doesn't it, although clearly an A3 tender.  We had about 15 minutes of deluge too, including thunder; some of it did try to come indoors, under the kitchen door (only splashing rather than flood water).

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, 31A said:

The tender does look strange, doesn't it, although clearly an A3 tender.  We had about 15 minutes of deluge too, including thunder; some of it did try to come indoors, under the kitchen door (only splashing rather than flood water).

Its a DJH model, ex Stoke and Charwelton, and I've not really noticed this before. I'll get it out and have another look tomorrow.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, great northern said:

Its a DJH model, ex Stoke and Charwelton, and I've not really noticed this before. I'll get it out and have another look tomorrow.

I've just checked my book The Power of the A3s. I think that tender should be almost flush sided, especially along that top 'rave' that loos too pronounced, just below the coal rails and it looks about 6 " too narrow in the side width; the top of the rails should be just a tad above the Cab roof side gutter. See the top and middle picture on P102 of that book G.

P

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

I've just checked my book The Power of the A3s. I think that tender should be almost flush sided, especially along that top 'rave' that loos too pronounced, just below the coal rails and it looks about 6 " too narrow in the side width; the top of the rails should be just a tad above the Cab roof side gutter. See the top and middle picture on P102 of that book G.

P

I've had a look Phil, and it seems very similar in dimensions to a Hornby one. It needs the tender refilling soon though, as there ain't much coal left in there. Perhaps it is that, and the angle of the photo. whicj makes it look strange.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

44 minutes ago, great northern said:

So, after all that rain, today we get some heavy snow, and of course still the wind. What next, one wonders?

Next at PN was the 3.10 Newcastle, a KX top link duty. The two roller bearing A1s were normally in that link, and it is Great Central this time.

1307532865_3561.JPG.20bbe125c414a9bfdc7a21003c14ab7c.JPG

325857284_41562.JPG.ded556a169165c42d0183dfb1680454e.JPG

Looking at these images took me back to the time when this loco could not have been modelled, as nameplates with crests like these just weren't available. It also made me consider, as I often do, if A1s are as numerous on PN as they really should be.

I’ve been stuck indoors flattened with the flu for two weeks and these PN pictures have gone a long way towards helping me keep my sanity ! 

The A1’s must have a strong claim to being among the most attractive looking locos ever built in this country (or anywhere else. ) . A tragedy that most of them only lasted 15/16 years.

Brilliant pictures. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

I like them both equally. Each has a certain attraction of its own. The uncropped one reminds us it’s a model railway, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

All the photos are very good but what really gives it the atmosphere ( to my mind anyway) is the supplementary information about train times, where they originated and are destined, which shed the loco comes from etc. I really think that’s the icing on the cake. Perhaps might be even better if we knew the time it was passing through PN , but that’s not a criticism.

• Agree 3