Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, phil.c said:

Lots of variables needed when trying to match up perspective, exact scale, distance and track curvature, the right lense and angles etc etc, but this a pretty good :)

I've moved the signal box a tad to get it closer, still not exact due to size etc.

A3.jpg.e1742377c89107cf1264078c4706c3de.jpg

Well, that's astounding!  I suppose angles and perspective would mean that what looks right from here might not from elsewhere, but I'm even more determined now to get something on that back wall, as it makes such a huge difference.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The sidings under the bridge are at the right angle/level compared to the other picture which was taken I think at a higher view, now if only this picture of the sidings were at a high resolution then printing them as a backscene would become a possibility :)

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, phil.c said:

The sidings under the bridge are at the right angle/level compared to the other picture which was taken I think at a higher view, now if only this picture of the sidings were at a high resolution then printing them as a backscene would become a possibility :)

So do I need to try to track down the original Phil? I may be able to do that.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 minutes ago, great northern said:

So do I need to try to track down the original Phil? I may be able to do that.

Anything is possible, however you would be limited to the size that could be produced from it, in other words, if it was printed out to the correct proportions to fit your back wall when viewed from the same camera position it would look right under the bridge, but there would be nothing either side if it so if the camera was moved left or right there would be a blank wall.

it would be possible but very time consuming to create the scene with track coaches and mock up buildings, and with artistic license with Photoshop, because of the distance, detail wouldn't be so important, this would of course be in colour :) it would however need to be printed out with a large printer!!!

That's a good idea, if you can find an artist good enough, he would need to copy the angle of the sidings correctly, he would also need to know the size, this can only be done with a sketch placed up against the wall behind the bridge, this is most important to get the distance right.

12 hours ago, great northern said:

Well, that's astounding!  I suppose angles and perspective would mean that what looks right from here might not from elsewhere, but I'm even more determined now to get something on that back wall, as it makes such a huge difference.

I'm not too well versed in modern photo technology,  but wouldn't it be easier to add the scene by Photoshop or whatever. You could then manipulate it to suit the picture you've taken

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

I'm not too well versed in modern photo technology,  but wouldn't it be easier to add the scene by Photoshop or whatever. You could then manipulate it to suit the picture you've taken

It's time consuming, that's the problem, much better if the scene is already there and also better when running trains :)

• Agree 1

Getting back to the scene under Crescent Bridge.

Some thoughts to ponder.

I think where you are probably having difficulty is getting the perspective right.

Your track curves away but you are trying to put a backscene on a flat wall behind which is too far away

How about getting a piece of hardboard, perhaps about nine inches high (or even stiff card to experiment) and curve it from behind Crescent SB to match the curvature of your track.

Then apply the backscene.  I would even try a slightly curved mockup of a very short, low relief, scaled down, part of Crescent Station protruding just beyond the signal box.

That would fill up a little bit more space against the backscene.

If you can print off reasonably quantities of the Nene Sidings photo in black and white perhaps you could get someone to go over them in water colours to bring out a bit of detail like carraige ends so that the photo doesn't look so bland.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Donington Road said:

Getting back to the scene under Crescent Bridge.

Some thoughts to ponder.

I think where you are probably having difficulty is getting the perspective right.

Your track curves away but you are trying to put a backscene on a flat wall behind which is too far away

How about getting a piece of hardboard, perhaps about nine inches high (or even stiff card to experiment) and curve it from behind Crescent SB to match the curvature of your track.

Then apply the backscene.  I would even try a slightly curved mockup of a very short, low relief, scaled down, part of Crescent Station protruding just beyond the signal box.

That would fill up a little bit more space against the backscene.

If you can print off reasonably quantities of the Nene Sidings photo in black and white perhaps you could get someone to go over them in water colours to bring out a bit of detail like carraige ends so that the photo doesn't look so bland.

More food for thought. Thanks Mick. I hadn't considered curving the backscene, but I'll certainly try it. I had though given serious thought to including Crescent station in some way, and the more I think about it, the better option that becomes. I'll need to talk to Peter Leyland about how we do that, and things generally.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, great northern said:

More food for thought. Thanks Mick. I hadn't considered curving the backscene, but I'll certainly try it. I had though given serious thought to including Crescent station in some way, and the more I think about it, the better option that becomes. I'll need to talk to Peter Leyland about how we do that, and things generally.

Providing you have enough pictures and at the same angle, it's possible to merge them together.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Gilbert,

I seem to recall that a Top Shed turn bought a Pacific to Peterborough, which then ran light engine to Grantham before returning to Kings Cross on an Up express.

The old brain cells may be letting me down,but I seem to think it was the "Heart of Midlothian" or the "Northumbrian"

Regards,Derek.

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Gilbert,

I seem to recall that a Top Shed turn bought a Pacific to Peterborough, which then ran light engine to Grantham before returning to Kings Cross on an Up express.

The old brain cells may be letting me down,but I seem to think it was the "Heart of Midlothian" or the "Northumbrian"

Regards,Derek.

The Heart of Midlothian definitely changed engines at PN Derek, so  I think that would be the one. The more I think about it, a light engine movement would be more likely than putting it on a two coach local.

• Like 1