Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, landscapes said:

Hi Gilbert 

I hope you are keeping well.

I will show my ignorance now when it comes to rolling stock  but there are some lovely examples in your photos.

Modelling an MPD I don’t have very much use for them apart from a cameo views on the main running lines going past the depot.

The First coach behind the locomotive I know is a Greeley design, can you please tell me is it a kit built of RTR.

Regards

David

I think I'm responsible for the first one - it's a 52'6" Brake Third, built from an RDEB kit (available from Wizard Models).

• Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, 31A said:

I think I'm responsible for the first one - it's a 52'6" Brake Third, built from an RDEB kit (available from Wizard Models).

Sorry Steve, of course it is. I deliberately put it on this train as it originated from the GE section too. Iam making some very silly mistakes at the moment.

• Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, 31A said:

Hi

I can only admire your skills and workmanship it really is a superb piece of railway modelling 

Regards

David

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, landscapes said:

Hi

I can only admire your skills and workmanship it really is a superb piece of railway modelling 

Regards

David

Thank you David, very kind of you to say so!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, great northern said:

Early pictures tonight, as there is a programme on TV about Eel Pie Island at 9.30. We have 60090 off on its way, taken from the safety of the sand drag area.

1879887309_690leaving.JPG.3ba328cedae4d32974b6f40fd02e3de1.JPG

That frees up platform 6 for 61635 to bring in the 8.35 arrival from March.

803182946_71635.JPG.76877c1eb3d7f328036a05a58e6fc19f.JPG

We'll have a look at the stock, which should actually be used quite a lot on the East shuttle as the day progresses.

1336442487_8stock1.JPG.28a80cf61b2daf80730de0d498bb6cd2.JPG

1241934979_9stock2.JPG.66d700f923f40416777d87f6d9618024.JPG1478482763_10stock3.JPG.2d4caa3abe912459f01b0ab7c0b31d29.JPG90944907_11stock4.JPG.e7376eb6f707f54787bb0a45406a3679.JPG

All fairly normal, though some nice Gresleys to be seen, but why a non corridor coach tacked on the end, I wonder?

Hi Gilbert. A few thoughts on the non corridor tacked on the arrival from March. Some of my childhood hood holidays were spent with friends in Market Rasen, who lived in a veritable train spotters paradise in a house just over the road from the station. On Bank holidays there was always a stream of excursions from the Midlands to Cleethorpes, often with a variety of stock cobbled together and occasionally there would be a non corridor coach or perhaps two in the formation. I assume it was due to finding enough stock on a Bank Holiday weekend , but the point is it did occasionally happen, although I often wonder what happened to the unfortunate punters who had spent the afternoon in the boozer, staggered into a non corridor coach and then had to wait perhaps a couple of hours to get home to Birmingham or somewhere !

However, to return to your train I suppose it depends on the starting point.. I seems that only a few originated at March which of course is only about 20 minutes or so from PN a corridor stock would not be important. If it started from further afield it’s more difficult to explain, but using my Market Rasen example it sort of seems that those assembling the trains were not too fussed what they cobbled together. On the one occasion I travelled from Ely to PN via March behind a Brush Type 2 there were only three ancientbGresley  corridors, and only three passengers including me so I don’t suppose passenger comfort was at the top of anyone’s mind for such unremunerative travel !

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, bigwordsmith said:

What was the programme you mention gilbert?

Good to hear from you Peter. How are things progressing?   The programme was about Eel Pie island in the 1950s and 60s, and the bands who played there. It was on BBC4  9.30 to 1030 last night. I found it quite interesting, but it focused mainly on jazz and blues. The Who only got one mention the whole way through, and they played there quite a lot.

Hi Gilbert

I'm slowly getting back on my feet - everything is exhausting, but I've managed to get infant of the laptop today so an element of normality returns

I will say it's a right storm out there!

Thank you for keeping us all inspired.

Peter

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, bigwordsmith said:

Hi Gilbert

I'm slowly getting back on my feet - everything is exhausting, but I've managed to get infant of the laptop today so an element of normality returns

I will say it's a right storm out there!

Thank you for keeping us all inspired.

Peter

Are you back home then Peter?

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, 31A said:

Hi Steve and all

100_5803a.jpg.ccf1d55f342df47d94a32aa8fef2a6e3.jpg

I think I better get me ar$e in gear and finish this one....one day.  It is a conversion from a Hornby Railroad Gresley.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, CUTLER2579 said:

The Immingham  J11 64355  is actually sporting a 9G Gorton Shedplate. Rather than a 40B.

Just for information, Gilbert. The Camera can be very cruel,can't it.

Keep Safe.

Thanks Derek. Very unusual for Tim to forget that, and of course it is too small for me to see. I'll see if I have any 40B transfers.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, great northern said:

Thanks Derek. Very unusual for Tim to forget that, and of course it is too small for me to see. I'll see if I have any 40B transfers.

Exactly why I mentioned it Gilbert.I even struggle to see shed plates and mine are 7mm Scale.

Just shows even one of the best  (Mr Easter) can make a mistake. :o

Regards,Derek.

Edited by CUTLER2579
To mention 7mm troubles.

12 hours ago, great northern said:

The Fair Maid is next on the Down side. Today Great Eastern is the loco, not unusual as it is a top link loco, and in appropriate condition. Actually there is another practical reason. , and so isn't happy with heavy trains. The eight cars of this service are ideal. Eventually, it will get added weight, as most of the other A1s already have.

1520326542_81571.JPG.82c6f75eb31558d6a4148739a6d967d5.JPG

Is it just me, or is this far too light?  The second one should be better.

1251129586_91572.JPG.e045d2a03935665e3b2b934d42709f68.JPG

Good morning Gilbert,

I trust you're keeping safe?

'60157 is as supplied by Bachmann'

I don't think this is entirely true. Someone (Tim?) has clearly altered it to represent one of the roller bearing-fitted A1s, with round keeps to the Cartazzi and tender axleboxes and one lubricator removed.

I don't think the top picture is too light (it looks 'natural', though 'The Fair Maid' must be very late through PN to have the sun so far in the west). What stands out to me is the wrong 'lean' to the return crank on this side of the loco (the opposite of what it should be). It can be altered.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to clarify a point
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Gilbert,

I trust you're keeping safe?

'60157 is as supplied by Bachmann'

I don't think this is entirely true. Someone (Tim?) has clearly altered it to represent one of the roller bearing-fitted A1s, with round keeps to the Cartazzi and tender axleboxes and one lubricator removed.

I don't think the top picture is too light (it looks 'natural', though 'The Fair Maid' must be very late through PN to have the sun so far in the west). What stands out to me is the wrong 'lean' to the return crank on this side of the loco (the opposite of what it should be). It can be altered.

Regards,

Tony. 

Sorry Tony, sloppy use of words! Yes, Tim has done the necessary modifications for a roller bearing engine. We can weight it, and do anything else necessary when we are able, but of course the light is a different matter.  I just have to accept that it is completely wrong for morning trains. It is always a relief when I get past noon in the sequence, but as part of my mindfulness course I'm learning not to be too stressed by minor things which are out of my control.

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Ain't life wonderful?  I had a tip off that I could register for over 70s online shopping at Sainsburys, so I phoned the number, and waited 50 minutes till a nice lady answered. No problem, I qualify, jolly good. But then she tells me my e-mail address is already taken. No it isn't, I've had it for years, and as the spelling of my surname is very uncommon, and there aren't that many Gilberts about, the chances of there being another one are very remote.

I'm now waiting for her to call me back, so fingers crossed.

• Friendly/supportive 8

58 minutes ago, great northern said:

No problem, I qualify, jolly good. But then she tells me my e-mail address is already taken. No it isn't, I've had it for years, and as the spelling of my surname is very uncommon, and there aren't that many Gilberts about, the chances of there being another one are very remote.

Could it be, therefore, that by some means or another you are already registered for over 70s online shopping at Sainsburys?

Perhaps, when you previously (?) registered for online shopping, you were required to give a date of birth.

If so, the system will already know that you are over 70.

Just a thought ......

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 1