Peterborough North

great northern

I hope it’s another A3 that we all never tire of but in 1961 condition with those attractive German style smoke deflectors that should have been fitted at the same time as the kylchaps . 

(Why did they call them SMOKE deflectors when it seems to have been drifting steam that was the major problem ):unsure:

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, jazzer said:

I hope it’s another A3 that we all never tire of but in 1961 condition with those attractive German style smoke deflectors that should have been fitted at the same time as the kylchaps . 

(Why did they call them SMOKE deflectors when it seems to have been drifting steam that was the major problem ):unsure:

I'm one of those who felt that the deflectors ruined a lovely locomotive, so no, not that either.

Edited by great northern
to correct spelling
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

One more look at 41157 before it goes off to complete its journey.

1029916612_711572.JPG.f790d22ff92e1a97f4b23bad95732ca8.JPG

I do remember Compounds from my earliest spotting days in 1955. Nottingham Midland had 41143/44, and they were to be seen at Lincoln St Marks, particularly 1144. There they rubbed shoulders with D11s, and other exLMS classes.We were so lucky to see them in their last days, but sadly too young to really understand that.

Next we have another source of frustration. Along comes the West Riding behind Copley Hill's A1 Pommern. It correctly carries the headboard, which I set up with great care before it left the fiddle yard. By the time the camera saw it though, it managed to slip like this.

1025809672_11331.JPG.361bb8fd352cd1a1ec4e269201546138.JPG

I was sufficiently pi**ed off by this that I didn't bother being careful with the processing, and the whole thing is a bit of a mess. I'm wondering also whether this view is worth while anyway, as it requires a lot of cropping, which leaves the loco well away from the centre of the composition, as it really should be.

I see the train name thingy is all wonky, has it got bounced crossing at Retford?

Edit , forgot to say, the Compound is not a Midland one but a LMS Standard. The two classes differed in the size of the driving wheels. On other railways where locos looked similar but only the wheels were different they would have been called the Semi Detached and the End Terrace classes.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I see the train name thingy is all wonky, has it got bounced crossing at Retford?

Edit , forgot to say, the Compound is not a Midland one but a LMS Standard. The two classes differed in the size of the driving wheels. On other railways where locos looked similar but only the wheels were different they would have been called the Semi Detached and the End Terrace classes.

Bird strike Clive, but it must have been a very big one.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

Must have been hit by an emu then..........

Stewart

It would have to be a very large one to get that high up without being totally splattered first! A Condor perhaps, it does have the advantage of being able to fly. They are a bit thin on the ground round here though.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, great northern said:

It would have to be a very large one to get that high up without being totally splattered first! A Condor perhaps, it does have the advantage of being able to fly. They are a bit thin on the ground round here though.

No the Condor ran on the Midland. :dontknow:

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 6