Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

The Bloke in the leather jacket appears to be a Wheeltapper or a Safe Mangler!!!!!!

Paul

He is indeed the wheeltapper, and thus does not need a platform ticket. He doesn't seem to do much tapping though.

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear. It appears the crosshead has come away from the slidebar on this side of the engine in the second photo. I hope you were able to get it safely put back without any problems, Gilbert.

Regards,

Rob.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Oh dear. It appears the crosshead has come away from the slidebar on this side of the engine in the second photo. I hope you were able to get it safely put back without any problems, Gilbert.

Regards,

Rob.

No I hadn't Rob, and it continued running OK. I'll look at it in the morning.

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Market65 said:

I’m glad it continued to run ok. It’ll be interesting to see how it is when you take a look. Hopefully it can be repositioned without problems.

Best regards,

Rob.

I hope so too Rob. I reckon it will be a long while before I see Tim again. I had another A4 short circuiting this morning, and I haven't worked that one out yet either. There could be a motive power crisis at this rate, like the real one reported in Railway Observer.

• Friendly/supportive 4

7 hours ago, great northern said:

Following the Elizabethan on its way through.

311082737_3133.JPG.b564c7a9902af7d865b1ca2aa6fce288.JPG

Early morning allows this shot to come out well again. I'm sure you'd like a side on view of number 13 too.

317921121_4134.JPG.40b268f22798da875edf75b7eb47ae39.JPG

Nearly side on, anyway.

One of the less fortunate side effects of being on a large dose of steroids is it robs one of step - 4 hours two days back, 5 last night, hence why I'm at the keyboard at 5. something. 

I watched The Elizabethan movie the other day and noted that throughout the journey the cab sheet between it and tender was in place.It struck me around 03.30, and this got me thinking  that we never model these so I wondered two things - 1 what was the general practice for their use, and 2 is there a readily available model option or do we come down to Blue peter skills? 

Strange thoughts on he's while desperately trying to catch a few more ZZZZZs!

That said I spotted one on here from His Duckness mentioning listening to R4 around that time. I didn't know Ducks were night birds!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, jukebox said:

Hi Gilbert - can you comment on the provenance of the finish on 60013?  Is it a repaint, or another Timmed Hornby factory rework?

Cheers

Scott

It is indeed Tim's work Scott. The brief was to make it absolutely immaculate, and he did.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Report on 60013. Yes,something is out of place, but the loco runs perfectly well. I have tentatively tried to replace into slide bar, but it doesn't want to go, and as I really don't know what I'm doing, I don't want to force it. Stalemate.

• Friendly/supportive 4

1 hour ago, great northern said:

Report on 60013. Yes,something is out of place, but the loco runs perfectly well. I have tentatively tried to replace into slide bar, but it doesn't want to go, and as I really don't know what I'm doing, I don't want to force it. Stalemate.

It's not an uncommon state of affairs with RTR gear, Gilbert.

I had to un-mangle the motion of a Hornby Duchess so that it could run on Shap at Glasgow.

The only way to get it back together properly (in my experience) is to release the eccentric crank, enabling the big end of the connecting rod to be removed from the crank pin. That way, you can then 'wiggle' the crosshead/piston rod back into the slidebars/cylinder. It's not difficult. I've now done it several times in my role as 'loco-doctor'. 

One question, please. Did the A4s have Smith-Stone speedos as early as 1958?

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Regards,

Tony. 

I now have a vision of Walter K Whigham running around in orange and black striped Speedo swimming trunks.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

'Speedo' swimming trunks in 1958?

We just called them a swimming costume then. Much more dignified. 

Sorry Tony, swimming costume puts those Victorian/Edwardian things into my mind. For men and boys, weren't they trunks back in the 50s?

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

It's not an uncommon state of affairs with RTR gear, Gilbert.

I had to un-mangle the motion of a Hornby Duchess so that it could run on Shap at Glasgow.

The only way to get it back together properly (in my experience) is to release the eccentric crank, enabling the big end of the connecting rod to be removed from the crank pin. That way, you can then 'wiggle' the crosshead/piston rod back into the slidebars/cylinder. It's not difficult. I've now done it several times in my role as 'loco-doctor'. 

Regards,

Tony. 

This does not sound like a job for a man with ten thumbs Tony. I think It is going to have to wait until we have freedom of travel again. A4s got those speedos from April 59, which happens to be the very furthest I allow myself to go!  Some anomalies I can put up with.

• Like 4

Gilbert,

after your recent posting (2-3 Weeks ago) I was under the impression R on T golf Club was still open for members to lose their balls

play a round  Exercise by playing Golf. My next door neighbour of 20 years who is a member at Belton Park was quite put out when I said      R on T was still open as  apparently all courses should be closed. I assume I am incorrect in my views. 

Unless of course they are owned by Mike Ashley. :diablo_mini:

Keep Safe

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Gilbert,

after your recent posting (2-3 Weeks ago) I was under the impression R on T golf Club was still open for members to lose their balls

play a round  Exercise by playing Golf. My next door neighbour of 20 years who is a member at Belton Park was quite put out when I said      R on T was still open as  apparently all courses should be closed. I assume I am incorrect in my views. 

Unless of course they are owned by Mike Ashley. :diablo_mini:

Keep Safe

No Derek, we are closed like everyone else, as of 24th March. My post was on 23rd, which we did not realise at the time would be our last game.

• Friendly/supportive 3

9 hours ago, great northern said:

Morning chores completed, so shortly I shall go and see what the damge is to 60013. First though, a cup of tea, and your mid morning still life image.

1893112700_5overgate.JPG.4583cc3ce892dae9e93a70bf2d97cb09.JPG

Does this work? Not far off, I think.

I think it works well Gilbert, a lovely shot.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5