Peterborough North

great northern

Hi Gilbert. Some time ago, in pre-Covid-19 days, there was a brief discussion here on the "Up" version of the "Scotch Goods". I cant find the posts, offhand, but Railway Memories 28 on Tyneside has a lot of information on freight traffic, and it refers to the return train leaving Niddrie at 6.05 pm.

It also refers to 2 trains a day from Aberdeen to London known as "Scotch Beef". The main train called at Newcastle at 5.pm, with a relief half an hour earlier 9 or half-hour later on Saturday). 

Hope this is useful, though you may, of course, already know this. The info is from the 1960 WTT, but I don't suppose things were much different in 1958. Like the fish trains, they had preference over all trains save East Coast Passengers.

Best wishes 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, rowanj said:

Hi Gilbert. Some time ago, in pre-Covid-19 days, there was a brief discussion here on the "Up" version of the "Scotch Goods". I cant find the posts, offhand, but Railway Memories 28 on Tyneside has a lot of information on freight traffic, and it refers to the return train leaving Niddrie at 6.05 pm.

It also refers to 2 trains a day from Aberdeen to London known as "Scotch Beef". The main train called at Newcastle at 5.pm, with a relief half an hour earlier 9 or half-hour later on Saturday). 

Hope this is useful, though you may, of course, already know this. The info is from the 1960 WTT, but I don't suppose things were much different in 1958. Like the fish trains, they had preference over all trains save East Coast Passengers.

Best wishes 

Many thanks, that's very helpful. It seems what I thought might be the Up Scotch goods isn't. The two meat trains, according to my WTT, didn't get to Peterborough until the early hours in 1958, and it seems that the Goods will be the same.

I've checked my WTT, which is summer 1956, and it shows the Aberdeen fish passing at 1244am, followed by meat at 1259. There was then a7.35pm from Niddrie, and that didn't get to PN until 7.09 am. If I started my sequence a quarter of an hour earlier I could include that one. There is also a FO Q meat from Aberdeen shown through at 1034pm, which is just a bit too late.

• Informative/Useful 2

You've mentioned loco crews, Gilbert; ModelU are also doing some very good members of the general public if you fancy a scattering along the less well used platforms. 

Depending what make they are, taking some of the cars apart, spraying a satin or even matt varnish and filing small flats onto the bottom of the tyres helps.... twist the front wheels slightly so they're not quite perfectly straight on also helps.   Light dusting of powder just to emphasise body seams. 

To pick up on a theme from elsewhere, point rodding?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

You've mentioned loco crews, Gilbert; ModelU are also doing some very good members of the general public if you fancy a scattering along the less well used platforms. 

Depending what make they are, taking some of the cars apart, spraying a satin or even matt varnish and filing small flats onto the bottom of the tyres helps.... twist the front wheels slightly so they're not quite perfectly straight on also helps.   Light dusting of powder just to emphasise body seams. 

To pick up on a theme from elsewhere, point rodding?

That's brilliant Jonathan. I would never have thought of the cars, but, as you say, they are a project in itself. Figures too, as I am beginning to gain more patience at doing things, which will help with the painting. Point rodding is a different matter, I think, as it would be a huge job, complicated by the fact that a lot of it is set in channels. I don't see how I could achieve that without taking track up, which is out of the question.

A really big help there, so thanks again.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, great northern said:

That's brilliant Jonathan. I would never have thought of the cars, but, as you say, they are a project in itself. Figures too, as I am beginning to gain more patience at doing things, which will help with the painting. Point rodding is a different matter, I think, as it would be a huge job, complicated by the fact that a lot of it is set in channels. I don't see how I could achieve that without taking track up, which is out of the question.

I have to say I agree with you on the point rodding. It looks fantastic when done, but I don't notice its omission. I think it's too big a job for Gresley Jn, even if I ever get the rest of the scenery up to an acceptable standard, so I will live without it.  I would stick to your guns and accept that what you have is a truly remarkable model railway and that it makes up for the lack of point rodding in other ways.

• Agree 4

52 minutes ago, great northern said:

Wall to wall sunshine yet again, not that I'm complaining. As of now, it looks as though this lockdown will exist in some form or another until a vaccine is available, and that seems to be a long time away. Very important then for me and many others in the same position to have a strategy for occupying a lot of time for the foreseeable future.  So, what can I do to improve and/or enhance Peterborough North? It may have to be things I can do myself, which will put a limit on ambitions. but I'm still interested in perceptions of how I could move forward.

Here are our morning images. W P Allen progressed under the roof, but for some reason it was darker than usual under there, and he can't be seen too well.

1354819013_9114under.JPG.448339c89978962292e43c5dad5c7083.JPG

He was folowed by fish empties.

337578848_1fish.JPG.d004559b68d183093928d18ff14473ac.JPG

and I didn't get the balance right on this one either, so we will have a third, featuring our only Heaton visitor of the day, Book Law on the 7.43 Up Sunderland.

2_88_1.JPG.b20eed9b11b700a7480326dcba432a0d.JPG

I can't find much to grumble about with this one, other than the number of lattices I had to photoshop.

Quit making me jealous! Love these shots. particularly love the long goods rakes.

I'm having to restart my layout (again) due to damage during a move and storage.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, great northern said:

Gilbert have you ever looked at any of the modelling on P4 New Street?

The vehicles on there are so lifelike.

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, JeffP said:

Gilbert have you ever looked at any of the modelling on P4 New Street?

The vehicles on there are so lifelike.

No, I've never looked at Jim S-W's layout since he threw his toys out of the pram and left here. I try to stay out of controversy, but I didn't like the way that he and some others have since treated Andy Y, so I now have nothing to do with them. It's a shame, as it is a fantastic model, so maybe long enough has elapsed now for me to take another look.

• Friendly/supportive 4

I know what you mean, having been the target of one or two on here and on WT...I come across as abrasive, due, probably to my impatience, and lack of communication skills. I try, but I still ruffle feathers.

I managed to have a fall out with Andy Y too, long time past, and got banned. While working abroad I sneaked back on, behaved impeccably, then messaged Andy to apologise and show him I COULD do it right.

Still here after he forgave me.

Anyway, Jim's model isn't just trains. On one set of pics he has modelled a very nice WMT bus shelter, complete with a crushed Coke can on it's roof! How's THAT for still life?

Best regards. Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I have spent a happy half hour or so looking carefully at prototype pictures. Except when showing it actually exiting one of the signal boxes, point rodding is almost impossible to detect, so there won't be any attempt to do it. Signal cabling? Now that is another matter entirely, but I don't fancy doing that either.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, great northern said:

I have spent a happy half hour or so looking carefully at prototype pictures. Except when showing it actually exiting one of the signal boxes, point rodding is almost impossible to detect, so there won't be any attempt to do it. Signal cabling? Now that is another matter entirely, but I don't fancy doing that either.

The other day I did offer Gilbert the services of Mr Duck, Steve 31A and myself to build his point rodding....he made a good choice in saying "go away , leave me and my train set alone" or words to that effect. :stop:

• Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The other day I did offer Gilbert the services of Mr Duck, Steve 31A and myself to build his point rodding....he made a good choice in saying "go away , leave me and my train set alone" or words to that effect. :stop:

I don't think you would have liked it if I had taken you up on it Clive. There's far too much of it, even if most can't be seen. And we'd have to do all the bits of boarding which were put down to stop people tripping over it. There's lots of that too. Let's stick to esoteric buffet cars. There aren't that many of them. And they are bigger and much easier to see.

• Friendly/supportive 2