Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, bigwordsmith said:

Sea Eagle must have been going at a helluva lick to blow those lamps halfway up the irons!

Doncha just love the camera!

SWMBO is of on errands this am so I might just get to go up the loft.....

Yes, awful aren't they Peter. For some reason they do shake out of position on the way round from the fiddle yard. Neither tacky wax or any form of blu whatsit seems to stop it.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, great northern said:

It were close this one, but the local favourite, the K2, won by a short head from something called a 43XX, with the K4 coming in third.

Today, we shall consider which was the most attractive and graceful Atlantic tank.

Easy one - C12

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Gilbert Said,

( Morning pictures start with something slightly unusual, as there has been a slight step back in time.  60139 Sea Eagle is coming in with a Hull express, but this can't be August 58, as 60139 by then had a different boiler fitted by then. So, this is from the archives, and gets put in the middle of the sequence for some unexplained reason )

You have opened a real can of worms for me Gilbert with that comment. It is something I have never considered with my four O Gauge A1's.

I look up things like A3 Boilers & Tenders A4 Tenders, A1 Split Hand Rails & Number Plate positions. Number position on cabside of V2 60854 in 1962,but A1 Boilers.  It has never entered my head. Thank You so much for that information Gilbert.  :crazy::devil::devil: :crazy:

Edited by CUTLER2579
60854 not 60853
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, great northern said:

It were close this one, but the local favourite, the K2, won by a short head from something called a 43XX, with the K4 coming in third.

Today, we shall consider which was the most attractive and graceful Atlantic tank.

If I were to continue stirring the pot I'd nominate the GWR County tanks but in all honesty they were neither attractive nor graceful to my eyes.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Atlantic tanks? The Brighton I3! The loco that, between Willesden and Rugby, showed the mighty LNWR why they needed to start superheating! And as elegant as you could wish for, clerestory roof et al. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Gilbert Said,

( Morning pictures start with something slightly unusual, as there has been a slight step back in time.  60139 Sea Eagle is coming in with a Hull express, but this can't be August 58, as 60139 by then had a different boiler fitted by then. So, this is from the archives, and gets put in the middle of the sequence for some unexplained reason )

You have opened a real can of worms for me Gilbert with that comment. It is something I have never considered with my four O Gauge A1's.

I look up things like A3 Boilers & Tenders A4 Tenders, A1 Split Hand Rails & Number Plate positions. Number position on cabside of V2 60854 in 1962,but A1 Boilers.  It has never entered my head. Thank You so much for that information Gilbert.  :crazy::devil::devil: :crazy:

For this information, Derek, I am indebted to a certain Mr Wright. Please direct any further enquiries in that direction.:jester: Sea Eagle had its original boiler from building until August 1958, when it emerged from Doncaster with a Dia 117 instead. It's all in the green book, but, like you, it is one thing I forgot to check. My others are all OK, but there had to be one, didn't there?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Being more of a Midland man than GN, I must admit that I was reading about H A Ivatt yesterday. This lockdown must be getting to me.....

I would hope, Peter, that the rational enthusiast, as well as having his/her favourite line, might expect to look over the fence occasionally and acknowledge greatness in details of others' railways, too. My preferences for the LBSCR have been demonstrated in recent pages of Gilbert's discussion, but Marsh, the I3's designer, had of course been Assistant to H A Ivatt. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I too am a fan of the LNER (exGNR) class C12 - the subject of my first "00" scratch-build attempt in the mid 1960s.

But again there are a couple of other very attractive locos that actually get my vote this time - in ascending order:

- LBSCR I3 - a very smart and purposeful locomotive.

- LT&SR Thomas Whitelegg No.79 Class - specifically No.80 "Thundersley" as preserved.

and finally, my no.1 -

- SR (ex LSWR) Adams "Radial" tank  - (think 488 on the Bluebell Railway).

Regards

Chris H

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

If I were to continue stirring the pot I'd nominate the GWR County tanks but in all honesty they were neither attractive nor graceful to my eyes.

9 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Now don't tell anyone but I also like a GWR County Tank they are just so ugly. :secret:

Quite so.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My lovely little C12 has a big smile on its face this morning, having been declared hands down winner of the Atlantic Tank Stakes. I'm surprised and delighted that quite a few others share my affection for them.

What next then? This one may be much closer, the tender variety of 4.4.2 folks. Off you go.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Pull my chain on Atlantics and it has to be the D E Marsh variety, which of course were fairly directly descended from those built at Doncaster. I prefer the H2 with its straight running plate. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2