I love the N1/N2, but they’re more mean and purposeful than graceful. I’ll go for an ex NER N8 - a classic Victorian old lady.

0D59B909-F43C-4F7E-8D69-7F625C92DFB9.jpeg.a5b354c35d8eee9db7b4bb8685c79df2.jpeg

It was nice to have an excuse to get this model out. I built it as a kid, but it rarely sees the light of day now that I model the GN area.

The Southern E4 would run it a close second.

Andy

• Like 11
33 minutes ago, JamieR4489 said:

Nothing beats an N2 although the N1s come close.

24 minutes ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Has to be an N1  although the N2 runs it close.:D

So that's a dead heat then.

• Like 2

The N2 was present for inspection at the Cross for the unveiling of SNG's statue and I got to "cab" her.  I had a feeling  she was cosier and  more "friendly" feeling than many larger locos. 

As a boy, I saw (and heard!) many N1s and N2s and  wanted to be an engine driver, so I found myself imagining driving her along the stretch from Stroud Green to Crouch End, maybe whistling so my Mum could hear.  So although there are other worthy contenders, it has to be the N2 for me.

• Like 4
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, thegreenhowards said:

The Southern E4 would run it a close second.

Indeed but perhaps not quite so elegant as the E5, with 5'6" drivers. Given that the first of these radials was actually Stroudley's effectively posthumous 158 "West Brighton", with 4'6" drivers, the fact that the four Billinton Radial classes were individually quite successful makes this a very strong blood-line. 

[When we looked at 0-6-0s, I could not propose the C2x as anyone's idea of pretty, but 50 years ago colleagues would talk of the sound of one in Star Lane cutting, which must be walkable from your residence, I imagine.]

10 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I could not propose the C2x as anyone's idea of pretty

Nor could I - not with two domes!

11 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Star Lane cutting

Suicide Alley.

• Agree 1
26 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

[When we looked at 0-6-0s, I could not propose the C2x as anyone's idea of pretty, but 50 years ago colleagues would talk of the sound of one in Star Lane cutting, which must be walkable from your residence, I imagine.]

Certainly is. I'm pretty close to where the quarry line and slow line cross each other.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

Certainly is. I'm pretty close to where the quarry line and slow line cross each other.

My paternal grandparents lived in Church Lane Avenue, Hooley and are buried in Chipstead churchyard.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1
  • RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Suicide Alley.

Netherne & Fairdene mental hospitals close by, not to mention the Covered Way (long since uncovered, of course!) crossing the grounds of Cane Hill! 

Coulsdon was the southern limit of my area in my Control days, 1969-73.

• Agree 1
4 hours ago, JamieR4489 said:

Nothing beats an N2 although the N1s come close.

N2 for me too, but then I am ever so slightly biased, given I'm modelling a few....