Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold

Saints, Thompson's B1 and the 'Harmonious Blacksmith's' B7, in that order. S15s and (original) Patriots definitely deserve a mention too.

best wishes,

Alastair

Edited by A Murphy

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

I think the Star has it beaten, the front end was more elegant before the outside steam pipes were added....

I have always found the Collett cab more attractive than the Churchward.

• RMweb Premium

With 852 in service it has to be Sir William's Black Five, and just look at the improvements carried out by Mr Ivatt to an already good locomotive design.

Then I do also like Mr Riddles' updated version for British Railways, a nice Standard 5.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I take it the King is of the Arthur type?

Funny emoji isn't enough. Your contributions are priceless, Clive. And of course that's what he meant. Unless he was having one of his little episodes, of course.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

OK I've thought long and hard about this, and going to go with the GE 1500 Class (what later became B12, but as built not as B12/3); although it's very difficult to choose from so many good looking types, just thinking of the Eastern ones without casting the net further.

I'm confused by all these references to GW types, as they all look the same to me. :diablo_mini::jester:

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, 31A said:

OK I've thought long and hard about this, and going to go with the GE 1500 Class (what later became B12, but as built not as B12/3); although it's very difficult to choose from so many good looking types, just thinking of the Eastern ones without casting the net further.

I'm confused by all these references to GW types, as they all look the same to me. :diablo_mini::jester:

Hi Steve

A 1500, in Great Eastern Railway Royal Blue was going to be on my list but everyone, bar you of course, would confuse it with the Gresley rebuild. Only transpotters called them B12s they were always 1500s.

As for GwR 4-6-0s there were less visual differences between a Grange and a Saint than between a LMS 350 hp diesel shunter and a BR 350 hp diesel shunter.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, great northern said:

And the result of the 0.6.2 poll is........ N2, by a short head from N1. The Southern E4/5 put together came in a close third.

We are starting to run out of further options now, I think, so it is time to consider 4.6.0s. Grace and elegance are the criteria once again.

It has to be a GWR Castle for me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Right at the end of GE steam I had just got off at Forest Gate when to my surprise and joy (for mainline steam had almost already gone) I saw a fairly clean B1 with a train of container wagons, presumably on the way to Harwich. I realised this was a moment to savour so I stood and watched transfixed, nay hypnotised , as it slid through gracefully and effortlessly at about 40mph picking up speed from Stratford. That is now one of my clearest memories of steam so the B1 gets my vote. No diesel can ever compare to that.

• Like 2