great northern

Peterborough North

Standard 4mt tank for me.

Martyn

Standard tank for me too, although the SR W is a very close second.

LT&S Section 3-cylinder Staniers

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

ISTR the standard tanks were built at Brighton.....

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

Some but not all I think, Ian.

The W had slipped my mind, rather a tasty loco - hmmm, can I change please sir?

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Anyone mentioned a Fairburn 2-6-4T yet?

I did, but chose the 6th type in the Fowler/Stanier/Fairburn/Riddles class 4 2-6-4Ts, the LMS/NCC class WT. 

Now if the LMS had made 2-6-0 versions of the class 4 tanks then wouldn't have they been great, just like the W class 2-6-0s were.  

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Some but not all I think, Ian.

The W had slipped my mind, rather a tasty loco - hmmm, can I change please sir?

Oh all right then. I tried to order a few yards of Peco Code 75 today.......

15 minutes ago, great northern said:

Another look at 61282.

356640645_412822.JPG.ab111185b45e361a00ba08aa961f7a5e.JPG

And then the carriages. It won't take long, as there are only four, but all Gresley stock.

1067419583_5rake1.JPG.cdb75a594322981215c140c5b7ff15e7.JPG2024210374_6rake2.JPG.43b4cb43a6416e3ca662909d488005fd.JPG1067419583_5rake1.JPG.cdb75a594322981215c140c5b7ff15e7.JPG1067419583_5rake1.JPG.cdb75a594322981215c140c5b7ff15e7.JPG

That's eight!! :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

25 minutes ago, great northern said:

Oh all right then. I tried to order a few yards of Peco Code 75 today.......

Hi Gilbert

It has been reported that Peco suspended production of track and have been making PPE.

• Informative/Useful 3

8 minutes ago, HSB said:

That's eight!! :rolleyes:

How the hell did that happen? I didn't see it before I posted them, and there were only two images shown below.

G'Day Folks

As a model, I like the Thompson L1, but as a full sized loco, well the less said the better. The BR 4MT is a pretty good balanced design, which gets my vote.

manna

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I did, but chose the 6th type in the Fowler/Stanier/Fairburn/Riddles class 4 2-6-4Ts, the LMS/NCC class WT. 

Now if the LMS had made 2-6-0 versions of the class 4 tanks then wouldn't have they been great, just like the W class 2-6-0s were.  

Stanier did, and Riddles was his protege was he not?  A great 5P/4F 2-6-0 from 1933..Or was it 4P/5F? I think in BR days it was 5MT.

Apologies for straying from the true path of 2-6-4T deliberations.

Edited by robmcg

6 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Most of them but not all.

4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Most of them but not all.

11 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

10 were built at Doncaster, 15 at Derby and the remaining 130 at Brighton.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, RFS said:

10 were built at Doncaster, 15 at Derby and the remaining 130 at Brighton.

Thanks Robert, I didn't get round to checking the exact numbers!

Very conclusive. 12 votes for BR standard 4, far more than we've had for anything else, and no more than a couple for the works of Fowler Stanier Thompson and others.

The last poll of this sort has to be, I think, 0.8.0s. Other wheel arrangements don't seem to have the number of classes to make them viable. So, Q in LNER classification.

Do we leave it there?  This does seem to have generated plenty of interest and amusement, not just in votes, but in the number of views there have been. This thread has become my opportunity to give something back to others in these strange and troubling times, and while you enjoy what I can give, I want to keep it going in this way. Jonathan has suggested a poll on carriages, but I don't know as much about them as I do about locomotives. Can I have some help on how we could frame that please?  Any other ideas are very welcome too. I'm happy to head things up as I have been doing, if I know what to do! What about railway architecture by the way? Would that be of sufficient interest?

3 minutes ago, great northern said:

Very conclusive. 12 votes for BR standard 4, far more than we've had for anything else, and no more than a couple for the works of Fowler Stanier Thompson and others.

The last poll of this sort has to be, I think, 0.8.0s. Other wheel arrangements don't seem to have the number of classes to make them viable. So, Q in LNER classification.

Do we leave it there?  This does seem to have generated plenty of interest and amusement, not just in votes, but in the number of views there have been. This thread has become my opportunity to give something back to others in these strange and troubling times, and while you enjoy what I can give, I want to keep it going in this way. Jonathan has suggested a poll on carriages, but I don't know as much about them as I do about locomotives. Can I have some help on how we could frame that please?  Any other ideas are very welcome too. I'm happy to head things up as I have been doing, if I know what to do! What about railway architecture by the way? Would that be of sufficient interest?

How about the best looking pre 1975 overhead EMU?

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

Never mind how many classes. I don't believe it possible to design an elegant 0-8-0. The proportions just can not be right. The Great Northern probably got closest.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

G'Day Folks

I'm going to pick a loco that disappeared in the mid 30's, 20+years before Gilberts masterpiece, A Q1/Q2.

manna

PS. Since I took this pic, I've fitted a new chimney and boiler bands.

DSCF4728.JPG

Edited by manna
Extra info.
  • Like 2

NER Q6

Q6 for me as well Gilbert.

Re future polls, compared to many folk I don’t have a great knowledge of either carriages or architecture but I would certainly be interested.

Bridges might be a category?

• Thanks 1