great northern

Peterborough North

I seem to have forgotten to vote for a tank engine.  V1 / V3.

2-6-2 tank locomotive. How about those nice class 3 ones made by Sir Henry or Sir William? Or even Mr Ivatt and Mr Riddles class 2 locomotives?

I think today it will be one of Sir Williams class 3 engines, they looked lovely but apparently were useless. Surely that makes them the strongest contender......None of this GWR Prairie malarkey or even the LNER V1 and V3s, despite my model one being a superb performer.

On 17/05/2020 at 19:28, mullie said:

Did I miss the 2-4-2, 0-4-4 and 0-4-0 loco poll?

Martyn

This vote has a way to go yet. Did we do Atlantic's, maybe I missed that, then there is best diesel, l know , I know I can hear cries of anguish from some of you, Deltic, Western, Warship,Class 21, ok maybe not Class 21! then maybe best train, Silver Jubilee? Coronation, Edinburgh Glasgow Class 27 pushpull!?

• Like 1

G'Day Folks

A V2 and the V1/3 for me.

manna

15 hours ago, great northern said:

Two more shots of Wild Swan this morning, again trying to make use of opportunities at the South end. First one is from a different angle to the one I posted last night, and with the loco repositioned. Looks better to my eye, but what do others think?

2113183694_1921south2andbetter.JPG.e36cfb0ab0dd7c6e0d125b3e1d83da3e.JPG

I reckon that is a brilliant shot Gilbert, despite the curves it shows the bridge off really well without the ends disappearing into space.

Andrew

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

I've already voted for the V4. To be honest, I can't think of any 2-6-2T that is graceful and attractive so I"ll pass on that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, David Bell said:

This vote has a way to go yet. Did we do Atlantic's, maybe I missed that, then there is best diesel, l know , I know I can hear cries of anguish from some of you, Deltic, Western, Warship,Class 21, ok maybe not Class 21! then maybe best train, Silver Jubilee? Coronation, Edinburgh Glasgow Class 27 pushpull!?

Yes, Atlantics long gone, I'm afraid.  I suppose we could do diesels, but as with EMUs, I don't know that much about them. I have a pressing problem to sort out, but will think further later.

The tender engine poll was easily won by the V2 with sixteen votes, by far the most we've had for any engine. Tank engine was closer, but just won by the Standard 3MT, with V1 a close second. It would have been joined by a GW prairie, but the votes were split between big ones and little ones.

For today's poll, let's take up Peter's suggestion, and go for Garratt/articulated engines, and spread it worldwide, though of course lots of them were built here.

I had a busy day yesterday, so missed the 2-6-2 poll which is a shame because V2’s are my second favourite steam engines, so if I’m allowed a late vote you can make it 17 for the V2. I didn’t have a strong opinion on the tank as long as it didn’t have copper on the chimney!

I like the idea of a diesel vote - you could even make it five votes for Types 1,2,3,4 & 5 to keep the competition going.

Andy

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, great northern said:

For today's poll, let's take up Peter's suggestion, and go for Garratt/articulated engines, and spread it worldwide, though of course lots of them were built here.

Hmm "articulated" and "worldwide".

OK then. Harz Mallet

452859661_Alexisbad12995906.jpg.6134664bd52cc5469c4cf6c02addc08b.jpg

• Like 3

For Garratts, the NSWGR AD60 class.

For articulated locos other than Garratts, the Chemin de Fer du Vivarais Mallets.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 31A said:

OK then. Harz Mallet

Is that Alexisbad, Steve? On our tour a lady was much amused by the place name, having a nephew called Alex!

Sachsen IVk for me. 

• Like 2

Just now, Oldddudders said:

Is that Alexisbad, Steve? On our tour a lady was much amused by the place name, having a nephew called Alex!

Sachsen IVk for me. 

Yes indeed Ian, Alexisbad it is, in 2007.  I think it was on some kind of special, a least we didn't travel behind it, but all the trains on the line were carrying that headboard commemorating 120 years of the Selketalbahn.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Despite the general lack of artics in the UK predisposing one towards one or other of the Big two's creations, I'm actually going to vote for the South African Railways Class GMA 4-8-2+2-8-4

Built by Beyer Peacock and shipped out to South Africa these were the mainstay of their fleet and hugely efficient engines. We never really had the train sizes, gradients and distances to justify these in the UK, but they did a sterling job in SA and other African countries.

If you accuse me of hearkening back to better days then I stand guilty!

612357965_Screenshot2020-05-19at09_49_26.png.8d9cccd9a3b0f22e62de0413b54887d3.png

2076590002_Screenshot2020-05-19at09_51_14.png.e3d9ffd8fcb9c1f74c8cf7abb560b4a2.png

• Like 6

If articulated engines include those of the narrow gauge then I would vote for the Ffestiniog Railway's Double Fairlies.

If it's strictly Standard Gauge only then I'd say the U1.

• Like 1

Articulateds are nearly as hard as Pacifics I reckon, the Algerian example mentioned earlier is right up there, Union Pacific Challengers with deflectors in two tone grey, Queensland Railways Garratt, NSWGR AD60s.  Ok a choice, South African GEAs, very well proportioned.

• Like 1

Most elegant articulated loco, and we're allowed to go worldwide?

I'm going to have to cheat and nominate two -- one Garratt and one Mallet.

First choice: QR Beyer-Garratt 4-8-2+2-8-4:
Garratt_1009_at_Ipswich.jpg

Second choice: UP Challenger 4-6-6-4:
up3977-wes1.jpg

• Like 5