Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Hold your horses! That's a Type 3. We're still on Type 2s.

Just a type 2 with a bigger engine and no steam heating????

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That wasn't easy. So many very detailed responses to consider. In the end, the stand out was Brush type 2, Class 31 with 6 votes. It also had one for the skinhead version only, and another for the full headcode box type only, so I gave those two half a point each, making seven. Class 26 got 4, and Class 27 3, so if you put those two together there would be a tie, but there were objections when it was suggested that should happen. Class 24 and 25 together got 4, and others a bit less.

What shall we do today?  Class 3?  Not many classes, but I think quite a lot of variations within them, particularly Class 37. How about allowing specific sub classes, so say, Class 37/5, but not "the ones with the little plate covering the whatsit" if you see what I mean? Please let's clarify that before we get under way. I need help here from people who know lots more than I do about diesels. Clive! Where are you?

• RMweb Gold

Gilbert, can I ask what sort of detail you put on your slides?

Presumably it details the prototype train and formation?

How to make it up from the fiddleyard and or cassettes?

Suitable motive power?

Anything else?

Thanks.

• RMweb Premium

Type 3?  English Electric Type 3.

Gilbert, I think your pictures this morning with the 'fading light' effect work very well.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

BRCW Type 3, aka Crompton or, if you must, Class 33. Mainstay of Southern's diesel era, really. The Slimline version, specifically able to traverse the narrow-minded railway between Tonbridge and Bo-Peep Junction, added a certain quirkiness. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Taz said:

Gilbert, can I ask what sort of detail you put on your slides?

Presumably it details the prototype train and formation?

How to make it up from the fiddleyard and or cassettes?

Suitable motive power?

Anything else?

Thanks.

I found that what was needed depended on whether it was just going to be a prompt for me, or a guide for visitors who like operating the layout themselves. If the latter, lots more information needed. No vistors for the foreseeable future of course, and 99% of the time it will be just me, so it comes down to:-

Sequence number

Locomotive number - all locos are in "sheds" and individuallly identified, so I can put my hand straight on the one I need.

Origin of train ie fiddle yard number. Destination, which will again usually be a FY road.

Make up of train, if not a fixed formation in the FY. So, if cassettes needed, identified by "CP".  If no such prefix, it will be from loose stock stored in drawers, but again I know exactly where to find it. So it might read. CP2 CP4 RF SO CP11 BSK.

Route and signals to be set. I use NCE macros, so simple numbers suffice. Up main would be 66. 1 .23. for example. If an individual point is involved, Acc** is shown. Signals also have accessory numbers.

Brief move description, eg "runs non stop via down main", or "runs to Platform 2 and stops".

Train description eg 1000 KX- Edinburgh The Flying Scotsman.

Time. 1115 for the example above.

It all sounds complicated, but actually goes comfortably onto one slide.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, great northern said:

Getting late here now, as it was at PN all those years ago. The last but one train of the sequence was the 1002 arrival from Grantham, the light having miraculously held out so that we can see the arrival of Knight of Thistle.

730610520_1651.JPG.313529effb02d4933a55d7431aca14fc.JPG1362811769_2652.JPG.2eb058acdc1816e8bbf525733177c9d8.JPG

The line of vans in the Midland sidings was not intentional, but I think it does a lot for both of these images. Just ties everyhting together nicely, if you see what I mean.

Just to show that I am paying attention: those vans are on the Down Goods

• Like 1