great northern

Peterborough North

56 minutes ago, great northern said:

Afternoon image shows A1 Sir Walter Scott running in with the Glasgow-Colchester.

1796438696_21431.JPG.f7dcb6ec7aef0796bf93c8b2ae2a33f3.JPG

It really is amazing. I specifically looked at those lamps, and decided they were OK. The camera thinks otherwise.

Today's truly shocking news is that I seem to have more locomotives than duties for them to perform.

I know the feeling, do I need a Baby Deltic for a layout that is supposed to be in Sheffield let alone 17 or so?

Never mind should one breakdown you know you have a spare.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I know the feeling, do I need a Baby Deltic for a layout that is supposed to be in Sheffield let alone 17 or so?

Never mind should one breakdown you know you have a spare.

I'll give you seventeen out of ten for that information Clive.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Another vote for the class 33 from me. Grew up in south London at the time they were introduced so often saw them brand new. First in service in early 1960 a month before my 15th birthday with O-levels still more than a year away. Today I've just passed 75 and a few of them are still in service plus plenty preserved.

• Like 2

Type 3s? With a specific subclass?

Has to be a 37/4. Centre headcode, ETH, tendency to appear in large logo ... what's not to like?

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, RFS said:

Another vote for the class 33 from me. Grew up in south London at the time they were introduced so often saw them brand new. First in service in early 1960 a month before my 15th birthday with O-levels still more than a year away. Today I've just passed 75 and a few of them are still in service plus plenty preserved.

A bit like most of us on here then!

Ive got a railway based in Scotland with a Western and A Warhsip in board!

Original Class 37 with Split Headcode Boxes, Small Yellow Panel as was seen pulling the Master Cutler from Sheffield to Kings Cross in the good old days.

Gilbert, you need cover for locomotives Having Boiler washouts, stopped for repairs away at Works plus umpteen other eventualities.

You know it makes sense.

• Like 2

As the poll is for looks I will go for the Class 33. I much prefer the Class 37 because of the sound but this doesn't qualify!!

• Like 2

Type 3s are all lovely. Hymeks are right up there, I grew up with Cromptons and love them dearly, but I spent much of my youth chasing 37s all over the country so it has to be one of them. They're all lovely, but if I have to chose a sub class then a 37/0 with split headcode boxes in green. I think offering people sub classes is biasing the vote against 37s as 'we' have so many compared to Cromptons and Hymeks. I think you should choose the main class first and then award the sub class as a follow up.

Andy

• Agree 1

EE type 3/class 37/tractor/growler/siphon call them what you will. Simply a great piece of engineering.

• Agree 1

I’m going with the EE Type 3 class 37/0. Split headcode boxes. In original condition as first introduced. Just so right.

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

37/0, I think.

Whatever flavour these coal sector beasties were...

image.png.4e47f4b92b74a966f40daccda72cc24b.png

• Like 2

The most interesting poll count yet, possibly because there were few contending classes. I took the point about the Class 37 vote being split between the many varieties, and so did a separate count for each sub class, as well as an overall total.

The overall result is Class 37 16, Class 33 7 and Hymek 5. Among the Class 37 votes though there were 9 for Class 37/0, more than for the other classes, so Class 37/0 is the clear winner.

Today, you can have a lot of fun with Type 4. I did consider splitting it into passenger and freight classes, but I think the distinction is too blurred really.

• Like 3

D8xx Warship or a Western? Western I think, overall.

Western.    I had one of those, too.   i think it was by Lima.  It lit up at one end.

• Like 1

Type 4.  Hmm.  Either English Electric or Brush.  English Electric I think but the D2xx type not the D4xx type!

• Agree 1

Type 4? Most of the older type 4's don't appeal to me at all, but the 43 class (HST) power cars were classed as separate locos, and I don't think they have any competition for looks, so my vote is class 43 HST power car.

Lloyd

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, great northern said:

The most interesting poll count yet, possibly because there were few contending classes. I took the point about the Class 37 vote being split between the many varieties, and so did a separate count for each sub class, as well as an overall total.

The overall result is Class 37 16, Class 33 7 and Hymek 5. Among the Class 37 votes though there were 9 for Class 37/0, more than for the other classes, so Class 37/0 is the clear winner.

Today, you can have a lot of fun with Type 4. I did consider splitting it into passenger and freight classes, but I think the distinction is too blurred really.

Wot about my vote for the LMS twins? :nono:

1 minute ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Wot about my vote for the LMS twins? :nono:

It was a lonely vote Clive, all on its own.:sad_mini2: I did begin to suspect at one time that you were deliberately choosing the least likely things in all of the polls, but you wouldn't do that, would you? It gave me much innocent amusement, anyway.

• Thanks 1

Type 4? Well seeing the answers so far some of you will need to give your guide dog a good telling off for poor advice.

It has to be a Crompton, no not a class 33, a proper Crompton what in decimal currency is called a Class 45. I would be happy if it was included in the generic group of classes called the Peaks. 

Class 44 ...Peaks

Class 46 ...Brushes.

• Like 1

Type 4 is really difficult. With Westerns, Brush type 4, EE type 4 and 'Peaks' all in contention, it's a hard choice but much as I love the others I'm going with Brush type 4. They never looked better than in the original two tone green, sleek, unfussy but really harmonious design yadda yadda.

Brush type 4,

Cheers all

Alastair

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hmmm. Type 4s. Quite a variety of those, unfortunately quite a few that are as ugly as sin, or simply have way too many wheels for their own good...

I'm going to have to go with a Class 50 on this one. There's something about one that Class 47s (my second place pick) don't have.

Class 47,  specifically the shove duff kind in Scotrail livery

• Like 1