Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold

It has to be the Class 52, Western for me . A good looking and powerful loco unlike Class 40s etc that were overweight and underpowered. Hardly an advance on the steam locos they were replacing. 

Bazza

G'Day Folks

Class 40's great fun to shunt around and drive and full of character, class 47, great loco for any job. but for me a class 46, quiet, comfortable, loved them, but unappreciated.

manna

• RMweb Premium

Lots of people got involved in this poll, and there were three stand out candidates. Until towards the end it was close, but the Western then pulled away to win fairly comfortably with 10 votes. The Class 40 got 7, and the Class 47 in all its manifestations came third with six.

So we move on to Type 5, any Britiish type included. Remember, we are looking more for appearance and style here than for performance. I've mentioned grace before, but I'm not sure that applies to diesels. That is not intended as a derogatory remark, by the way. Impressive is nearer the mark for diesels, In my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yep, me too.   I had a Lima one, you know.

When I was about 10, so 1976-ish, my mother and I went to London to stay with my uncle.   Standing on Darlington station, I could hear this dull rumbling getting louder, then I started to feel it through the soles of my feet.   It came under the canopy in a deafening roar and this huge shiny blue wall swept past me in a blast of heat and magnificence.  I’ve never forgotten it and that sound still does something to me.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I don't like prejudging things, but the identity of the winner of the type 5 category already appears to be rather clear. Nothing wrong with that of course, there are some locos which really do seem to most people to stand out from the crowd.

I wouldn't want anyone to be put off voting because they think the result is a foregone conclusion though, so how about a separate poll for non passenger working type 5s? The two can then run side by side.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, great northern said:

Oops, forgot the tea break image. It features the one that got away, our little J3, that the official records would have you believe was scrapped several years ago. It is running tender first along the engine road, on its way to do some light shunting down at south yard, or possibly Fletton.

1749331737_11J3.JPG.418a9a07b86cda64eca3610f5e695408.JPG

Now, and in retrospect, that is what epitomises the railway to me - be it branch or main line.

You can keep your gleaming Pacifics - the staple diet of us trainspotters was the mundane and unremarkable - even if we did deride such locos at the time.

A wonderful, atmospheric photo.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 8
  • Thanks 2