On 23/05/2020 at 20:43, 2750Papyrus said:

In 1964, my first girl friend lived in a  house overlooking FP depot, so I have several reasons for choosing the Searchers' Deltic,  Needles 'n Pinza.

I always thought that it was called Nimbus 'n Pinza.

Lloyd

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
22 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Only one you have built?

Type 1s and Shunters mixed, not to sure on this.

Do I go for

100_5137a.jpg.9c6fecb19a232b921d0f243a8af9acc9.jpg

A BTH

100_5141a.jpg.b3a903e7a15a4f5d244e01e568efa724.jpg

Or Hawk

100_5128a.jpg.75dbecbe37f710b7dfc15c5f1cc5b1e3.jpg

Or a Cayton

100_5068a.jpg.88e57ebcdd0c66344a8b5511b3feb9ad.jpg

Or a NBL

100_5108a.jpg.5434e5dc9ef9d615567650ba5cd9b5bd.jpg

Or English Electric

100_5118d.jpg.b38ad8d404515a810c9c9264511d434f.jpg

Or something a bit more humble like a 350 Jocko

004a.jpg.59dc9c6f8a01b841f54cf98dd2666884.jpg

I think a little Barcaly gets my vote today.

Clive

I am only going on memory, which at my age is dangerous, but was there ever a diesel shunter numbered D12016? I thought that all the D prefixes were 4 digit, and that the older ones, such as 12016 never had a D prefix?

As someone whose modelling skills are VERY poor, and very rusty at that, I hesitate to be thought of as critical, but hope that it is constructive, at least.

Lloyd

The poll was again decided by an overnight vote from down under, which meant that Class 20 edged ahead of Class 15 by 8 votes to 7. There was only one vote for a shunter!

So, today's poll, the idea for which came from Trevor Page, and an excellent one it is. This may exercise your little grey cells a bit more, and it would be interesting to see the reasons for your decision, not just the loco concerned.

Here we go then. Designs which have stood the test of time.  So we are looking for locos  that were, or are, still doing the work for which they were designed at the beginning of their lives, many years on. Passenger or goods work, both are equally important. Which have had the greatest impact on the future of our railways, and which most influenced the development of design after their inception?

Have to be the Class 20.   A 60 year old design moving nuclear waste?  

Generically the two inside cylinder steam 0-6-0 is probably the design which carried railway around the world for a century, but it would be hard to pin down one to vote for.   So this time I'm opting for the Chopper.

• RMweb Gold

How about the class 73 electro-diesels - the first bi-mode locos to operate on BR? Not only is bi-mode the flavour of the day now, but some class 73s, first introduced in 1962, are still running today. Furthermore, a number of them have been re-engineered into 73/9s and will probably be still be around for another 20 years or so. 

34 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

Clive

I am only going on memory, which at my age is dangerous, but was there ever a diesel shunter numbered D12016? I thought that all the D prefixes were 4 digit, and that the older ones, such as 12016 never had a D prefix?

As someone whose modelling skills are VERY poor, and very rusty at that, I hesitate to be thought of as critical, but hope that it is constructive, at least.

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd

You are right D12016 is incorrectly numbered, but not by me but by BR (well one their painters). I only copied the mistake on purpose.

There were a few class 11s also incorrectly numbered with a D prefix to a 12xxx number, all LMR locos.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
4 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Clive, you're just surprised I've built a diseasel at all, aren't you?   It has working lights too. 

Not long after I built mine, I was in Pete Waterman's place at Crewe, walked round the back of a shed and there one was.  I had no idea they'd kept one and I think it was a carriage heating unit.  It was parked next to 'Kerosene Castle' which I also didn't know still existed.  We climbed all over that, but sadly the Swiss had kept all the interesting bits.

I can't find a photo I took of one of my class 15 models sat on the running board of the surviving one when it was based at Mangapps  Railway Museum. It is now at Bury and last year they managed to fire up the engine. When at Mangapps some bight spark removed a lot of the wiring to rewire it, but cleared off before finishing it, leaving the group then trying to preserve it with a massive bill.

• RMweb Gold

I would nominate the HST, front line , high speed service since 1976 and still going strong. Its replacement sadly is inferior in terms of ride and comfort.

Bazza 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
31 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Lloyd

You are right D12016 is incorrectly numbered, but not by me but by BR (well one their painters). I only copied the mistake on purpose.

There were a few class 11s also incorrectly numbered with a D prefix to a 12xxx number, all LMR locos.

Clive

Thanks for the information. I should have known that you would be right!

Lloyd

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Bazza said:

I would nominate the HST, front line , high speed service since 1976 and still going strong. Its replacement sadly is inferior in terms of ride and comfort.

Bazza 

Agree re the HST. 

Sadly the whole 3rd rail units  + TCs +/or diesel add on concept, with all traction units wired for the scheme swappable and interchangeable, which was brought in for the Bournemouth electrification scheme by BR's S Region has failed the test of time.  Then just regarded as a practical solution, now with a fancy bi-mode label, it is my runner up vote.

Edited by john new
Reworded to make better sense.
  • Like 1

I think for an engine that was still working long after it was built it would have to be the J72. First built by the NER and still in production in the 50s. However, I don’t think the design shaped the future of the railways or influenced later designs. For that I’d vote for APT.

• RMweb Gold

I must go for the HST too, the train which revolutionised Inter City for BR, bringing in exceptionally smooth riding carriages at 125 mph, and air conditioning for everyone whether first or second class. It still looks modern even today on GWR or Scotrail.....

Rob.

I am going to go with the Peppercorn A1. Such a good design we built another one in 2008 sixty years after the first one. And who knows how long that is going to be with us?

At the risk of being boring, another vote for the HST.  The current stuff running past my window on the GWML just makes me wish electrification hadn't happened on that line...

2 hours ago, great northern said:

The poll was again decided by an overnight vote from down under, which meant that Class 20 edged ahead of Class 15 by 8 votes to 7. There was only one vote for a shunter!

So, today's poll, the idea for which came from Trevor Page, and an excellent one it is. This may exercise your little grey cells a bit more, and it would be interesting to see the reasons for your decision, not just the loco concerned.

Here we go then. Designs which have stood the test of time.  So we are looking for locos  that were, or are, still doing the work for which they were designed at the beginning of their lives, many years on. Passenger or goods work, both are equally important. Which have had the greatest impact on the future of our railways, and which most influenced the development of design after their inception?

HST.

HST even if it is Triggers Broom now with it's ghastly bus sound decoder.

What it demonstrated so clearly was simple solid engineering as an evolution rather than revolution works - compare with the APT which was too clever for it's own good and as a result got itself into the spotlight.  The APT should have been the future but it landed at just the wrong time due to it's long development and with the HST in fleet service it probably stopped electrification in it's tracks for everything but the ECML.

Just to be different I would vote for the 73. If electrification schemes had gone ahead as planned we wouldn't have needed bi modal trains but such is politics.

The flexibility they give and their long service deserves recognition in my view alongside the HST which is a brilliant design.

Martyn

• Agree 1

I also vote for the HST, still going after over 40 years of service, made a huge impact on Intercity train travel in Britain even being used on the Cinderella Cross Country services! I miss the Valenta howl....

My vote is divided:

Electric - LU (ex Metropolitan Railway) "Met-Vick" Bo-Bo Electric Loco No.12 "Sarah Siddons", built 1924, still owned and operated by the direct successors of its original owners - and never withdrawn!

Steam - Ffestiniog Railway "Double Fairlie" type 0-4-4-0 introduced 1869 and still considered the main loco class - specifically No. 10, Merddin Emrys, built by Festiniog Railway Company, (Boston Lodge), in 1879. In service.

Diesel - Class 43 HST Power car for the reasons given by others.

Regards

Chris H

I think this should really go to the HST as others have said...but I hate them for killing off the Deltics, so I refuse to vote for one.

I will instead vote for the NER/LNER J27. Built from 1906 and still going strong to the end of steam in the NE.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

I've only just caught up having been attending to a broken down car and 'family stuff'. I'm not sure if I'm eligible to vote having given Gilbert the idea ;) :) but I'm going to plump for the HST.

An iconic design still to be found doing the job for which it was intended. Has been described as 'The Design that Saved British Rail'. Far more comfortable than anything that came after. Yes, they have been re-engined and had various other mods but Castles, A3s and Class 73 had (have) various mods too. I think the fact that these designs *could* be modified for current needs also counts as a plus point. I hadn't thought of the 73 but I agree that it is a worthy candidate too.

I have to admit that I went for a farewell trip on an HST. Reading to St Erth for St Ives. Smashing day out, overnight in St Ives on a sunny April evening. Back to Exeter St Davids on another 125 then up the Southern line and (my then) home via Salisbury.

• Like 2