great northern

Peterborough North

25 minutes ago, Bloodnok said:

.... there's just something about the way that sunvisor sits that looks amazing...

My Dad had a Ford Consul which was fitted with a similar sun visor - in the 1960s, it spoke of exotic, hot places ....... !

..... but it only ever got as far south as Cornwall. :sad_mini2:

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

I'm going to 'do a Clive' with an outlier.....

14671129_10153742154852260_247024091154713890_n.jpg.264605484bfbd10e308f05b7a4978181.jpg

Full size replica built by a friend.  My oh my I have lost a LOT of weight since then!

• Like 6

I’ll also vote for the RHB Kroc having spent an enjoyable day on a mixed train with one.

• Like 2

G'Day Folks

For  narrow gauge, 3'6" is narrow enough for me, I'll plump for a SAR T class,4-8-0. Nice engines, rugged and popular, I also like the fact that the tender is bigger than the loco.

manna

T 253, with clag, Cockburn 1969.jpg

T 185 at Peterborough 1969.jpg

• Like 10

Posted (edited)

On a further antipodean note there is no finer example of compact power than the New Zealand Railways K class 4-8-4 of 1932-on, a few preserved and still running.

Here is a photo taken by my father in 1936 on the 1-in-37 grade leaving Wellington, with the 3pm 15-total Auckland express.  I coloured the photo.   55mph with 400-ton express trains was the design brief,  or unassisted on 1-in-50 with similar loads.

1076314748_626_K_Ab_auckland_express_near_ngaio_6ab_r1800.jpg.f8020f121b0adeabdf345131387eb4af.jpg

I have a 1:64 scale version in brass, made by Ajin of Korea.

944_NZR_Ka_class_3ab_r1500.jpg.1df2d7554433db7184afb4a5ea625f1a.jpg

Photos edited, but nothing radical. Will remove if asked. 

I spent much of my youth travelling behind and (rarely) on these engines, 14-ton axle loads, over 31,000 lbs tractive effort, sometimes timed at 70mph.

I suspect beauty is in the eyes of the beholder when Britain was producing such as these...

again, edited... but a tad closer to Peterborough North.   Will remove if requested. 

19_A4_Image10_4abcd_r1800.jpg.2a9e839d313b16df7f156999be3ac798.jpg

No contest really.   4500 'Garganey' soon to be renamed 'Sir Ronald Mathews' eventually BR 60001, withdrawn 10/1964. From the Hornby 'Queen of Scots' pack. Lovely.

Edited by robmcg
foolishness
  • Like 10

I think we know the problem... because of the perspective, there's a lot of distant buildings etc missing, now a good photo of that area would be good :wacko:

• Agree 1

Today's poll winner is the Krokodil with 5 votes.  Personally, I would call that striking, rather than attractive, but there we are.

Next poll. We've done the good, will skip the bad, at least for a while, and move on to the ugly. Limiting to the UK for a while, as the continentals were much better at it than us, what do you consider to be the ugliest British steam loco design ever?  I think Clive may have given us one or two sneak previews already.:jester:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, great northern said:

Morning pictures show more angles on 60149's progress towards Spital Bridge. I hope you like them, as the contortions my body had to put up with to get them were considerable.

1418989930_12149bridge2.JPG.97766d7fec0e23113f9f6418aa4b7af1.JPG

2053547998_12a149bridge3.JPG.ace7fd8ff798f448630b2704e2e3d8a1.JPG

Should I abandon attempts to get that last angle? I think this is better than previous attempts, but I'm still not convinced.

Need to get that camera that can be controlled via WiFi!!

Saves all those contortions!

• Like 4

Just now, great northern said:

Today's poll winner is the Krokodil with 5 votes.  Personally, I would call that striking, rather than attractive, but there we are.

Next poll. We've done the good, will skip the bad, at least for a while, and move on to the ugly. Limiting to the UK for a while, as the continentals were much better at it than us, what do you consider to be the ugliest British steam loco design ever?  I think Clive may have given us one or two sneak previews already.:jester:

The Kitson-Still locomotive.

http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/kitson/kitsonst.htm

Im going to be really controversial...

W1 in its original format 

10 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

That isn't ugly it is pure engineering beauty on wheels.

Suppose I better think of an ugly loco, now some would say I am using my wooden spoon to stir up fans of this railway but who could ever say the GWR 2602 class was anything but ugly.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

British?    The rebuilt Great Northern.   Closely followed by the last two Duchesses.  Proof you can make a sow's ear from a silk purse.

• Funny 2

Ugliest? Has to be the Southern Q1, i.e. flying dustbin.

Lloyd

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Hoy's 2-6-2 for the L&Y. photo to follow...

Alastair

On 26/05/2020 at 18:44, jwealleans said:

Thread diversion - someone said, I think it was Derek, that 4472 had been hauling passengers up and down the ECML since 1923.    That struck a chord and reminded me of these two photos which it's taken me until today to locate.  The first was taken by my grandfather in the late 1930s, probably 1935 or 36.  Frustratingly it's cut off the end of the number, but it can only be one of Neptune or Triton, the two engines on the North Bay Railway in Scarborough.

spacer.png

Here, with a 50% chance it's the self same engine, is Mrs. W in the cab in 2018.  Now I know they've been rebuilt and there have been intervals when one or other was out of service, but I'd bet if you counted up days in work they'd be ahead of 4472. 

spacer.png

I almost suggested these as the longest serving diesels too.  88 and 89 years and counting.

There's an idea for you Gilbert - narrow gauge, railways or locomotives.

Even more impressive is the amount of miles/years the Gresley esque locomotives have clocked up on the RH&DR.

• Agree 1

I think what Thompson did to the P2's was pretty ugly, but my vote goes to the GER decapod

G'Day Folks

Decapod, didn't look to bad, but the 0-8-0 rebuild, now that was ugly.

manna

That time of day again. A J6 brings a very short parcels train in from Westwood Yard. It has to be short, as it will be reversed into number 1 bay, where it will stay a while.

747719642_144260.JPG.a360a919192cc8181db33cb792242ebb.JPG

• Like 15

Ugly? It's got to be this:

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

Ugliest? 

"Streamlined" King or Castle.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, JamieR4489 said:

The GWR Dukedogs get my vote.

Hi James

The GWR Kruger, 2602 class locos looked like Dukedogs on steroids.

Anyhow Duke is a lovely dog.

002.jpg.61da2707e248fff9ff22213c37a881e4.jpg

• Like 5
  • Funny 4