Longdrem & The Pinkhill Branch

60027Merlin

• RMweb Premium

Amongst all the glamorous pacifics at Haymarket were a handful of ex-North British locos going about their daily duties one of which was working at the nearby Gorgie Goods Yard.

Two locos were used, normally an N15 and a J88, respectively known as the Big Gorgie Pilot and the Wee Gorgie Pilot.

During the 50s 69169 and 68339 were the regulars but later in the decade they were withdrawn and replaced by other class members 69150 or 69211 and 68335.

Here are the two later locos newly arrived on the layout after an extensive period of kit building.

371768258_J8868335.JPG.4c271e003152a5cabd4493d3dafa0273.JPG

105513487_N1569150.JPG.34e75fd0b6154482024a21d24980d1e0.JPG

• Like 18

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A nice group of shots Eric, the pacific certainly adds some pizazz to the humdrum of the ordinary workings.  Just the perfect ratio too.

cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

Just found this while idly browsing on a Sunday morning and I am glad I did.  A fine collection of properly Scottish locomotives in an appropriate setting.  It's like Derek Cross's "Last Decade of Scottish Steam" in 3D colour.  Gorgeous.

Richard

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Lovely A4s!  Could I ask, how do you do the weather sheet between the cab roof and the tender?  It's something I've never done, but feel I ought to give it a try sometime.

• RMweb Premium

I stick a piece of plasticard underneath the end of the cab roof. This then protrudes out by about 3 mill and does not need to be as wide as the cab roof, usually a couple of mill shorter at each side. I then cut a piece of latex to a suitable shape and just put a very small spot or two of glue on the plasticard to keep it in place which allows for flexibility when going round curves. The curves on the fiddle yard and the main lines are a minimum of three and a half feet out to about five feet so that helps for reality.

There are a couple of snags though!

Cutting the latex is like cutting custard and secondly, in order to get a better realistic look, I cut off a bit of the top of the tender front as it is far too high. It would be advisable not to do that first in case the latex cutting goes awry a few times and you pack it in through sheer frustration!

Many years ago I used the Smiths wagon tarpaulin sheets but they were too rigid and did not look right.

Hope that this helps.

Eric

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Eric

i have said it before and I say it again wonderful photos and wonderful locomotives and a great layout.

Most of your locomotives would look superb sitting outside my Haymarket shed wouldn’t they?

Please keep the photos coming.

Regards

David

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi Eric

i have said it before and I say it again wonderful photos and wonderful locomotives and a great layout.

Most of your locomotives would look superb sitting outside my Haymarket shed wouldn’t they?

Please keep the photos coming.

Regards

David

Ditto

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for your kind comments David. The locos here would certainly fit in well on your excellent model of 64B, really looking at home!

Mentioning Haymarket, here are a couple of photos of two of the handful of kits I have built and painted in the last couple of years. Serving in Haymarket’s number 10 Link they have recently gone into service for occasional running on the layout.

They would accompany the 64B pacifics down to a tee as both were transferred there in the late 50s to cover for previous class members which were withdrawn at that time. Like the previous N15s and J88s, each was known as the Big Gorgie Pilot (N15) and the Wee Gorgie Pilot (J88).

Eric

145500300_N1569150.JPG.64321981cf9ecc2e4869da3130ce1973.JPG

544341560_J8868335.JPG.df5a02420d4b03d07e88182db1119e0d.JPG

• Like 18

• 2 months later...

Very nice to come back on rmweb and see many nice pics as per usual. I only wish my home station still had what it has on here. I’m told the srps was originally going to preserve the Haddington branch which would have been nice as I live 500 yards from Longniddry station.

gary

• RMweb Premium

Gary

It was a pity that the Haddington Branch plan did not take off as it would have proved its worth in recent times with the traffic congestion into and out of the city.

In the early days the SRPS was also interested in preserving an N15, number 69138, but an unfortunate series of circumstances knocked that on the head leading on to the acquisition of the J36.

Eric

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, millerhillboy said:

lots and I mean lots of new houses going in at Haddington, near the old station site, so wonder if the plan could be revived again

Maybe too late now, we can but hope.

• RMweb Gold

As much as I like the glamorous engines and their trains, freight workings have so much more variety and interest for me.  A great lot of photos as usual Eric.

Cheers

Tony

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1