Use of RS-232 cables to connect a controller to the layout

• RMweb Gold

I am thinking of getting a 25 way RS-232 cable for the points, and a 9 way RS-232 for the track power. The question is will I be overloading the 25way sending current to change points?

Are there any better options I should be considering to create a plug and play link, rather than ages mucking around with wires to connect the layout up?

If you're using solenoid motors then a 25 way computer cable will not be able to pass enough current to operate them, even with motor point motors [Tortoise, Fulgurex etc] I don't think it'll be sufficient. The 9 way for track power will be too small, capacity wise, as well.

The problem is that the wires in computer cables are of very small cross-section and the voltage drop under load will be quite high. The practice at the club I'm a member of is to buy standard computer 'D' plugs, which can take the current, and make up our own cables using larger cross-section wire. [Our wiring expert also uses a larger cable for the common return than for feed wires].

Jeremy

D-type connectors are rated typically at 5A, but I think some go up to 6.5A. Individual pins are rated I think at about 3A. 16/0.2 wire will just go in a D-type pin bucket, but you won't be able to fill up a D-type shell with all cores at 16/0.2 because there isn't the space. 16/0.2 is rated at about 3A, and 7/0.2 is rated at about 1.4A.

I've used a 15ft long computer cable to connect my hand set with no problems. I also use cable that was removed from a computer system where I worked and use the cores for general wiring and droppers with no trouble.

regards

mike g

Archived