Carrick Road. A few new additions........

BlackRat

I didn't realise how long it's been since I last posted or updated.

A couple of bouts of surgery y etc have meant a slight delay in getting on with the new layout, plus I'm waiting for certain points to appear from a certain manufacturer bases in Seaton.

I haven't been idle tho and recently completely revamped the 'townscape' and goods yard, tweaking quite a bit along the way.

Still very much a work in progress but here's a few pics from a holiday maker that some happened to send to me.

Compare thesebpics with the terraced houses above......

The churchyard and moorland are next.......IMG_1063.JPG.2383a0987bb1ebad1a81ba0a339d7a48.JPGIMG_1064.JPG.887011cd6ab680d9ca6f1e47c4ec45b2.JPG

Edited by BlackRat
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see this thread reappearing, Neil. 

Could you be tempted to do a small portable layout? 

Rob

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Andrew P said:

I think I still have a couple of the Mag articles right from the early days of you FLASHING in your Hawaiian Shirt Neil, 

It's a Cardiff thing, Andy. 

We all do it from time to time..........

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, NHY 581 said:

It's a Cardiff thing, Andy. 

We all do it from time to time..........

Rob. 

I had a couple for when our Group was playing Beach or Swimming Pool Gigs, now't like a bit of colour to brighten the mood.:good:

• Like 2

I've taken out a few of the exposed rock faces and de-forested. To keep me carbon footprint down new mature trees will be planted in due course.

Replastered, painted and a layer of base ground foam laid down.

Second pic after static grassing, the various shades of ground foam tend to add a bit of colour variation to the home made grass blend.IMG_1072.JPG.781ae1d8d5f0451c45f7266c8a984e99.JPGIMG_1068.JPG.f0b776838f29f0eb3a74b736dc083fad.JPG

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Adding a few details now, once they are made or bashed of course!

I need a few more street lamps, which don't take to long to knock up out of plastic and brass section. The glass globes are suitably selected glass beads and shades made up from a combo of washers, brass eyelets and anything else that might look 'shade like'!

I've heard people fashioning jigs to produce multiple swan necks......my quick and easy way was to use un bent paper clips!

Figures from a number of sources, Montys, Merit and Tri-Ang, still as good as anything produced today.

The number 12 bus is a cut down jobby ( hopefully the join isn't tooooo obvious) and I am awaiting transfers to finish it off.......and yes I'll add the cream body work striping as well.IMG_1078.JPG.ba0c8c71e1405c9dc891ca9538f30828.JPG

Edited by BlackRat
  • Like 8

• 1 month later...

Well ..........been a little busy but started on another section which I thought needed updating.

The scenery over the hidden section is split into 2 just in case of a derailment and for track cleaning.

The scenery was reduced in height quite substantially and has been reworked. This left a fair bit of marking and scarring on the back scene so I've started to have a bash at painting some detail on.

Bit if a first for me, and there's still plenty to do.......but I think we are getting there......I hope!

IMG_1142.JPG.7f4dbf5f553e18392edd69995501cd15.JPGIMG_1143.JPG.e8d5a5e03eec5d9f3b90aac43cb89113.JPG

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...

Time never stands still...  ,and I always seem to be itching to do something or other, always fiddling or on the fiddle!

The small goods shed never really did it for me, and whilst reading one of many books I have on the railways of North Cornwall/Devon, I worked out I could have an extra siding with a slaughter house ( or similar) instead of the goods facilities, which are presumed now to be the other side of the road bridge.......IMG_1205.JPG.3c8692ed105c8042d184addff1adaab6.JPG

This gives a little idea of what I'm trying to achieve.......

IMG_1208.JPG.fe42c8c1fedd8e19f5c7c5c91255d52c.JPG

The buildings ( bargain basement items) are just roughly plonked about so I can get an idea of space, what will fit in where and what else I need to be thinking about ( cattle pens, ramp, fencing etc) which really helps.

The extra or spare siding might now be used for empty stock, or a camping coach.....or maybe even something else! Who knows, because at this point I certainly don't.

IMG_1207.JPG

Edited by BlackRat
  • Like 15

I'm going to add scratch built cattle pens etc and a concrete hard standing area, but the resin buildings save a useful bit of time and are ok for a temporary measure.

Its also quite good to be able to move them around to get the overall 'balance' about right. I used to use cardboard mock ups but as I have been bought so many of these for birthdays, Christmas etc I thought it best to use some.

And they beat getting socks etc as pressies!

IMG_1211.JPG.9c86917fb652ca2fc69c3575adab1bc9.JPG

Edited by BlackRat
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Looking good sir!

Like you said, the Airfix ventilated vans can be turned into reasonable models. I built a trio (2% of the fleet in real terms I think! :lol: ) to P4 standards.

36472924_PairofAirfixMeatVans.jpg.e7f9b70097acdf0c27423be404c26c67.jpg

I replaced the doors with some slimmed Parkside examples, not sure if they are perfect, however, they looked better than the originals. I dumped the original underframe and went for the Parkside 10ton chassis, with Masokits Sprung W-Irons and Rumney cast axle boxes. LMS buffers and vacuum pipes completed the basic build. Two where treated to a coat of Precision Faded Crimson: airbrushing does give a lovely flat finish! The last one received a coat of Precision Bauxite: it also has sprung buffers. 

1898088191_AirfixandoldParkside.jpg.3f6d8e3a108e3fcafabc9c5858d51b06.jpg

The number isn't that bent: phone lense seems to have distorted it a little.

I think they make very acceptable models. I still need to letter and weather mine though. 

Regards,

Nick.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I do like the goods shed, Neil. It's the the same as I used on Bleat Wharf. Not too big and just a bit different.

Rob.   

• Agree 1