Carrick Road. A few new additions........

BlackRat

Well Nick, ....................................the first thing is to finish off the bits I havent as yet!blink.gif

Got the pavements to do properly, kerbstones, paint, weather then bed them in.

Then sort that row of houses etc out.

Need about 100 more trees, (Cornwall in the summer is quite green!).

There's loads still to do.

Then there's the O gauge clay hoods that are being built (scratch, well sort of ABS bits etc). There's 7 now and they take ages!

Also got the valleys plank to get started and my mate (N gauger!) bought me a couple or three 16 tonners which I have weathered.........

So much modelling to do and I wont get it all done if I live to be a 1000, (hopefully 1023!tongue.gif ).

Hi Black Rat, just found it and I think I still have the Model Rail article cut out  for reference, the photos are great and I look forward to following it some more, and yes BURN THOSE SHIRTS ! I have one similar!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Had a pretty good time at the Plymouth show yesterday.

Managed to get a few bits and bobs to keep me busy.

One thing is to work on the front ends of the loco's adding all the pipes etc.

Still not sure about couplings tho, there has to be a better way than this...

post-7061-128128874635.jpg

A local pannier drifts round the curve with steam off, taking a load of clay powder to Carrick Harbour a few miles away.

Having said that, I have gone down the route of three links only to replace them all with the new Bachmann/Hornby small tension lock.

I still think theres room to improve these, make them even more unobtrusive so perhaps its something for the next wish list!.......... laugh.gif

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I've thought about a change of couplings, but have decided to remove the hooks at one end of each item of rolling stock. For Polbraze the hooks will be at the 'hidden' ends, so as the stock comes into view only the bars show, which hopefully will be less obtrusive.

Is Carrick Road exhibitable, or home based ?

Stu

Hi Stu, not exhibitable at all, was never designed to be as its more or less permenant in my 'layout room'

and sits quite firmly on kitchen units.

It could be moved, tbut the boards are 10' by 2' 1 inch mdf and weigh, well lets say I cant move them! tongue.gif

They are units are great for storage etc.

I am intrigued with the new N gauge 'see thru' or transparent coupling thats just come out.

Great idea there.

I wonder if anyone has tried to use N gauge couplings on 00..............?

• RMweb Premium

post-7061-128128874635.jpg

A local pannier drifts round the curve with steam off, taking a load of clay powder to Carrick Harbour a few miles away.

Nice photo.

Funny how i can always spot the Wills random stone sheets in photos... Comes from spending hours and hours and hours cutting the sheets up to make the buildings for Treneglos. I think there was a time when i could have accurately drawn up the stone patterns with my eyes closed :D

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks all for the comments!

Sorry for not replying sooner, but been away in Florida (Yeeehaaaa!) for a few weeks then had internet probs!

Will try and get some more piccies done this weekend, in and around re doing the goods shed area (why cant I leave well enough alone....aaarrrrggghhhh!!!!!).

New coal staithes built today, using drinks stirrers I liberated in the States.

Lots of bits of the layout carry memories from somewhere or other, from my wanderings... sand from Iraq, well you know the sort of thing!

The stirrers were cut to size and 'stained' using potassium permanganate, which although bright purple, the stain dries brown. The longer you leave the wood in the darker or more 'creosoted' it looks!

New goods area taking shape, just a bit more tweaking to do and I will take a few pics.

You can get a pot of the potassium (groan) from the chemist's for a couple of quid, a little goes a VERY long way!

• 2 months later...

Hi Neill

Finally got around to repaying the visit... 5am and the 'Saturday Night Follies' are over (I think)(you'll understand.....) Nice layout chum - and a very interesting comment about using pot. permang. above. I'm actually going to carry on 'Ambridge' using ply sleepers rather than 'C&L' plastic (I think they look better) but I still want to use 'C&L' chairs. Pre-staining with a wood dye might lead to adhesion issues - but your comment has given me paws (after all that's what black rats have G>>) for thought!

CYL (and keep the shiny side up)

Scanman

• Like 1

New coal staithes built today, using drinks stirrers I liberated in the States.

Lots of bits of the layout carry memories from somewhere or other, from my wanderings... sand from Iraq, well you know the sort of thing!

The stirrers were cut to size and 'stained' using potassium permanganate, which although bright purple, the stain dries brown. The longer you leave the wood in the darker or more 'creosoted' it looks!

New goods area taking shape, just a bit more tweaking to do and I will take a few pics.

You can get a pot of the potassium (groan) from the chemist's for a couple of quid, a little goes a VERY long way!

Any photos of the finished results

Paul R

• 2 months later...

post-7061-0-28024900-1296589545_thumb.jpg

Not to sure how this would turn out, since this was taken there's been a lot more weathering and detail added.

post-7061-0-61487800-1296589663_thumb.jpg

Yes I know the loco is out of date, just added it as it was the first green loco to hand, :rolleyes: ....again lots more tweakaing been done around this bit.

Been weathering to..........:blink:

• Like 2

A retired colleague (cheers Dave!) brought a 'bag of bits' over recently and "Could I paint them?" ........:blink:

and of course he meant a re paint and or weather.:rolleyes: :D

So had a bit of a go using the new (well new to me) Modelmates weathering spray dye.

Took a little getting used to, but I think the cranes sort of look ok ish.:)

I did some fine work with the airbrush and just a little dry brushing but highly reccomend them.

post-7061-0-46173800-1296590378_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thought you might like to see something a little different, with respect to some very nice books out there!..............:lol:

Carrick Road, then and now!

post-7061-0-22599300-1296667063_thumb.jpg

This picture shows the layout when it first appeared in Model Rail, showing the dries and harbour area.

post-7061-0-03345400-1296667122_thumb.jpg

The same view as we see it today! (llthough we appear to have gone back in time!).:blink:

There was also an intermediate phase with a large fish warehouse, but I cant find any pics of that!:rolleyes:

The key between the two piccies is the track furthest away. The station building stands roughly where the rocky outcrop thingy used to be, not sure if anything else is the same!

• Like 4

A mere 12' ish by 8'.

Not a huge amount of space but its in its own dedicated layout room so I cant complain at all.:D

Always could use anohter inch or so tho (wonder where I have heard that before!!).:blink:

Its amazing what you can do with the space to, still never enough tho!:rolleyes: