O Gauge Wheels

Hi

Been buying lots of bits on ebay, and need to get some wheels. I have an O Gauge JM 4F kit, not surewhat size wheels it requires, nothing in the instructions. I have also aquired a fabulous old Kemilway O gauge Merchant Navy, again not sure where to get right wheels

Many thanks

Simon

I would try Slaters for both. I'm pretty sure they will have the correct pattern too. https://slatersplast....com/wheels.php

The Bulleid's wheel sizes are drivers 6'2", pony 3'1", trailing 3'7", all Bulleid Firth Brown pattern.

Wikipedia gives the 4F driver diameter as 5'3", but check that one elsewhere.

Many thanks for this, appreciate your help

Regards

Simon

Correct diamater, 16 spokes, pin in-line and 11" throw. (Sad, but for various reasons I could recite that from memory.)

But, on the real thing the tyres did wear, and would be re-profiled in a wheel lathe until too thin, so could go down to close to 5' before new tyres were fitted.

Having said that, Slaters do the correct wheel and it is listed as such on their website, part number 7863. You need tender wheels, too: 4'3" 12 spoke, plain rim (from memory, but only 95% certain on this). Slaters list this as part 7851M. You do not want the Stanier pattern: that has a bevelled rim. (OK, somone probably has a photo of such a variant, but this would be unlikely.)

cheers for this, off to slaters with some orders

Simon

Archived