Introducing Birmingham MRC

Paul Boot

Originally formed in 1928, following article in Model Railway News. Present clubroom is a refurbished portacabin type building (50'x30') acquired with assistance from local authority and National Lottery grant. Facilities include main railway room with 3 large layouts, meeting room/library, workshop & storage area, kitchen & toilets and large carpark. We now hold annual exhibition in October at local church hall and 'Open Day' at clubroom. We actively model in 2mm, 4mm & 7mm scales. A gallery of club pictures is now being compiled.

Further information etc - see our webpage: http://www.clubbz.com/club/6954/birmingham/birmingham_model_railway_club

Originally formed in 1928, following article in Model Railway News. Present clubroom is a refurbished portacabin type building (50'x30') acquired with assistance from local authority and National Lottery grant. Facilities include main railway room with 3 large layouts, meeting room/library, workshop & storage area, kitchen & toilets and large carpark. We now hold annual exhibition in October at local church hall and 'Open Day' at clubroom. We actively model in 2mm, 4mm & 7mm scales. A gallery of club pictures is now being compiled.

Further information etc - see our webpage: http://www.clubbz.com/club/6954/birmingham/birmingham_model_railway_club

Glad to hear news of the Club. I was a member in the mid 60's when I lived in Birmingham.

• 4 weeks later...

Glad to hear news of the Club. I was a member in the mid 60's when I lived in Birmingham.

Nice to know that former members are still out there. Myself and Tony Brookes are the only members left from when club was based at Hazelwell station - older members have sadly all passed away now - thriving younger bunch joined over last few years. Watch this blog, our Facebook page & club's webpage for future news and feel free to drop-in when ever in the area, details of access to building on webpage.

Regards, P

Club's picture gallery: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?app=gallery&module=user&user=9526&do=view_album&album=1054

• 9 months later...

Birmingham MRC have successfully agreed a sponsorship deal for 2011 with Midlands Co-operative Society. This will enable the club to provide additional facilities and equipment, including computer & video and also finance our plan to expand dcc control. In addition we have organised a workshop evening with Greenscene - who will be demonstrating the latest products & techniques in scenery construction. This will fit in nicely with our ongoing refurbishment of the 7mm layout - 'Kenmore' and completion of outstanding scenery work on the 4mm modern image layout.

Latest news & details can always be found on our website and you can also follow us on Facebook.

Archived