Time machine..... so where,,, and when?

Thinking BIG I would travel on the first public train for each line (in order) and then travel on the last train on each line. The only problem is the line to Langurig, which apparently only had one train in its existance. If may be a bit embarising being on the same train twice.huh.gif

The 1950's, and visits to works that are long gone, Darlington, Stratford, Melton Constable, Cowlairs, St Rollox, Inverurie, to name just a few.

Doncaster and Crewe stations on summer saturdays, again, 1950's.

Exeter, summer saturdays, 1950's and early 1960's .

And oh, the sheds I'd get to that closed to steam, or completely, before I was old enough to be allowed to go beyond Donny on my own.

As I work Chester PSB now, just drop me off at Saltney Junction SB on any Pre 1960 summer Saturday.... with a camera of course.

Would love to try my hand working a box like that in those days.

Nearer to my spiritual home would be Bolton East/West/Burnden Junction in a similar time frame. All those Stanier 2-6-4ts and ex L&Y 0-6-0s mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Jon F.

Spike Island, May 1990 biggrin.gif

Was there, not a patch on Empress Ballroom Blackpool '89. biggrin.gif

Wembly 29th May '68, or Belgrade Feb '58.

Railways wise, Sheffield Victoria early 50s just pre complete electricifcation.

I would stay in my home town of Hucknall and wander from Midland Railway to Great Northern and Great Central. All lines within the town and probably flit from one decade to another but most likely stay longer in the 1930's.

• RMweb Gold

My first of many stops would be at the Rainhill Trails, with a suitably disguised camera to see how good Rocket, Sans Pareil and Novelty actually were, as judging such things with replicas is difficult to say the least (especially as Rocket is the only one working, just like in 1829! :P) Then I'd pop in on City of Truro in May 1904, with a speed camera ;)

I would dial up 1935 and pop back with a few pounds to pick up a few things for the garden railway,closing down sale of the Lynton & Barnstable Railway .Could you get a Manning Wardle loco in a TARDIS,but at £25 each worth a try!

• RMweb Premium

1820 - not to photograph anything, but to box the Stephensons (George and Robert) round the ears about choosing such a narrow gauge as standard and for not thinking just how big trains might get, so they should build with a larger loading gauge and broader track gauge a la Brunel! :lol: ;)

A few weeks ago I had a press notice from Bonhams announcing that they were auctioning the Tardis from series six of Dr Who. One of the Steam Railway editorial team and I tried to drum up support for putting in a bid, as we both wanted to go back to Wenfordbridge and see Beattie Well tanks! Unfortunately we couldn't drum enough cash between us!

CHRIS LEIGH

Flying over Queens Road DMU stabling sidings near Manchester Victoria on the Bury Leccy's "504 EMU's" then seeing all that coaching stock stabled on Red Bank, then into Victoria Station, every day you went there, it would be choked up on diesel fumes from all thoses 101's, 104's, 108's, 110's, 123's, 128's which ever was waiting in the bay & through platforms, true blue magic in the 70' & 80's, bloody boxes, but magical rattling boxes.

Having totally missed out on the steam age I'm spoilt for choice!

1. Hayling Island with Terrier operation - a perfect weekend taking photos!

2. I'd like to have seen something like the Rainhill trials, or perhaps before, when people were terrified of the 30mph speeds.

3. Ideally I could have visited the Bluebell during its first operation season.

4. A busy day at a busy station, like York

5. A full Barry scrapyard (obviously with the knowledge that most of the engines would survive!)

I'd go to Dungeon Wood station on the Lockwood to Meltham branch, opened and closed in June 1874, the one and only report of it in the local newspaper, was that it was complete with station house and the name was changed to Woodfield before the station opened.

The large scale map for 1906 doesn't show anything left, so it opened in 1874, gone by 1906, not much chance of any photo's coming to light, so crying out for a time machine!!

Oh yes, I'd buy a ticket or three while I was there, for good measure.

The first thing that springs to mind is 2nd May 1859 to see Prince Albert open the Royal Albert Bridge from Devon to Cornwall. I'd love to feel the buzz of the railways being new and exciting so even earlier back would be good too.

At the other extreme I'd love to go back to the late 1990s when I hadn't quite woken up to real railways and now wish I had!

I would more than likely go visit Brighton in the 60s, when the PULs and PANs were still operating, Most likely also have a ride on the original Belle too. In fact, sample everything. Then a trip to the (original condition) Bluebell Railway.

I'd then hop back to the 50s and ride up the Great Central before they screwed it up. Maybe hop over to Wales and a trip round the Valleys and down to Barry Island. No M4 back then so it'd have to be by train, not that I'd be complaining lol.

I'd visit the 70s and 80s when corporate era BR was still operating, possible 1983, just to ride around on the trains I remember going on as a kid. Buses too, as it was still before dereg. I'd visit Shoreham by Sea where I grew up and probably be tempted to lurk in the background and watch my family move into my mum's house... Possibly even re-take my PSV test back then too as then it'd be manual, but that idea opens up too big a can of worms...

I, too would probably take a good digital camera and a decent laptop to store all the pictures on.

I'd fire up the Flux Capacitor to 1992 - Plymouth north road cool.gif - Via exeter and dawlish

I'd then hop forward to 1999/2000 (i think it was) and head for the nearest 'Beatties' and buy up all the lima Fag Packet Mk3s and HSTs to flog on ebay a few years later laugh.gif

tfn

Jon

• RMweb Premium

ooooh where to start!?

First i'd dial up Waterloo stn in the summer of 1959 - all those luverly Bulleids! Then a trip on the ACE to Padstow over the NCR. Then a wander back to Wadebridge, the shed, the chip shop near the level crossing and the lines to the Bodmin stations.

Exeter st Davids and central would be obvious calling points, as would some quality time at 72A.

Now i'd also borrow the harry potter invisibilty cloak and go back to witness moments such as Bulleid designing his spam cans, beeching putting togther his report and the riddles team looking at the standards. Better stop dreaming now...

Archived