New remote couplers from Kadee!

Allegheny1600

Evening all,

I've had a good hunt around and i can't find any other reference to these on here so here goes!

New! From Kadee!

Remotely controlled knuckle couplers - available autumn(fall)/winter. Click on the video on the website below to see them in operation - they look great!

http://www.remoteuncoupling.com/index.htm

I can hardly wait!

Cheers,

John E.

• RMweb Gold

Looks like they are only in O scale and above :(

I've had 4mm DCC controlled Kadees on my Clacton units for quite a while, the how-to was published in DEMU's UPDate magazine.

Andi

• RMweb Gold

The MTH HO SD70Ace comes with remote couplers via their DCS system which can be operated via DCC. Not sure how well they work as I am awaiting the Athearn version of this particular locomotive but I have seen them and they dont look as good as normal Kadees. Quite long an obtrusive. However, a cool concept which I am sure will be perfected in smaller packages eventually.

• RMweb Gold

Well the video looks ok but some diagrams or pictures of the parts invloved would help to know how it works, DCC or radio control? I guess it's a case of bookmark the site and keep watching. I'm sure if this is a success it would work in the smaller scales too, I imagine fitting it in vans and coaches will be possible but locos and open wagons are going to be challenging in OO and HO.

Having remote uncouplers in a locomotive is one thing, fitting them to all your stock is another. As we all know, you need to be able to uncouple individual wagons, and also select which end to uncouple. This raises some interesting points:

Fitting uncoupling systems and the necessary DCC decoder to small 4 wheel stock. Where to put them without them being seen or having to remove underframe detail.

Cost of fitting out each wagon would most probably exceed the price of the wagon itself.

Operational considerations of having to program each wagon in your train and work out which end is which when operating the uncoupling system.

It has been possible to do this for some time, so that fact that Kadee chose to introduce it in large scale models is probably siginificant.

Geoff

Having remote uncouplers in a locomotive is one thing, fitting them to all your stock is another.

SNIP

Cost of fitting out each wagon would most probably exceed the price of the wagon itself.

Operational considerations of having to program each wagon in your train and work out which end is which when operating the uncoupling system.

It has been possible to do this for some time, so that fact that Kadee chose to introduce it in large scale models is probably siginificant.

Geoff

Dear Geoff, et all,

I concur. Quick poll

- How many cars/wagons do you currently own?

- multiply that figure by the cost of a minimum 2 function non-motor "accessory" decoder

(TCS fleet 2-fucntion decoders Inc motor control = AUD$40 or so)

- + solenoids to convert the decoder function to motion

Hmmm, did you get a scary-large $$$ figure?

Then consider

- DCC system limited to 4 digit addresses

- most US outline cars run more than 4 digit roadnumbers

- assign the roadnumber to each decoder, hoping not to cross over any existing locos or other cars addresses

Thankfully the "which end" is actually the easy bit,

simply denote the brakewheel end as the "front" or "Function 1" end,

the other end is therefore the "rear" or "Function 2"

Could be fun to play with for a 'nook with max 8 cars and a single loco,

(limited # of cars to equip, tweak, and deploy,

encourages "up close and personal" operation where the workings of the remote uncouplers will be most appreciated),

However, could get very $$$ and time-sapping over a "group operation" sized layout...

Just my $0.05c + GST

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

I don't think it is aimed at people with 100+ waggons, nor for every waggon. But, for a Inglenook, or a timesaver, they would be great. If they work so that you only need to open one, then set the waggons the same way around on the track, bob's your uncle, and off you go...

I made a lego version, using minimally modified lego parts. (the big non lego bits are a 1/8" barrel magnet, and the decoder). Works like a charm on the loco, fun to shunt with in a Inglenook situation. Nearly useless as a mainline engine...win some/loose some.

James

• RMweb Premium

Interesting to see this eventually happen.

Re the cost, I think the problem today is that function only decoders sell in extremely small quantities so the prices for them remain high. If the practice of fitting 2 to 4 output FODs to rolling stock became commonplace enough, then the principle of economies of scale would come into play and the price *should* come down considerably. But it would have to be as low as a couple of quid or less per FOD to stand a chance, and the same would also have to apply to the couplings and their control parts, otherwise it will, as said, really be just for small shunting layout type of operations.

• RMweb Premium

This lot have been doing boxcars for a while:

http://www.dccuncoupling.com/

I think that illustrates the problems we would have with UK outline stock. While the larger vans might be able to fit such an implementation smaller wagons (particularly four wheel flats and three planks) are basically out of the question, and the one operation that could really benefit from DCC-based auto-uncoupling would be pick up freights. Also there are many locomotives where there simply isn't space for that size of gear... :(

Interesting to see this eventually happen.

Ian, ..... "eventually happen"????

Do you mean with Kadee's (albeit in large scale only), or remote uncoupling?

If it's the latter, note that DCC coupling has been commercially available for quite some time, even for H0.

Looking at the control handset, I wonder if this Kadee set-up is just radio control and not DCC ?

• RMweb Premium

Ian, ..... "eventually happen"????

Do you mean with Kadee's (albeit in large scale only), or remote uncoupling?

If it's the latter, note that DCC coupling has been commercially available for quite some time, even for H0.

Looking at the control handset, I wonder if this Kadee set-up is just radio control and not DCC ?

Specifically Kadees. A few years ago I asked Kadee when they were going to implement some form of DCC controlled version of their coupler. They said they were looking into it but had nothing planned as regards a release.

I'm surprised they haven't included a sound chip to play suitable noise, or do they think most applications will apready have DCC sound installed...?

Just don't tell the anti-DCC brigade, they'll think it's just another gimmick that'll end up burning down your house, and has no advantage over my Brother's 1976 vintage Hornby 08 shunter...

On one hand, this is a hobby, and like other hobbies, guys will spend half a mil on a car when a good used one is a lot cheaper and does most of what you want. On the other hand, few of us have unlimited budgets. Even for an Inglenook, after all, a single Kadee 308 (McHenry made an even cheaper clone, at least for a while) delayed action magnet before the first switch will do all you want for uncoupling.

After all, even on the prototype, you're limited in where you can uncouple by the time and effort constraints of where you can put the switchman. I can see a DCC advantage in operating sound, even on a few selected locos, and the MRC analog sound controller isn't a walkaround, so I may do some limited DCC one day. But so far, not for uncoupling.

• 7 years later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived