Calne Model Rail Show 22 & 23 January 2011

Geoff Endacott

Really enjoyed the show today, nice to bump into a few RMwebbers, apologies to anybody who had to witness the railfreight class 58 with Autocoach on BDH today during my brief spell on it today but it was all in the interests of testing the loco...

Nice to have a chat with Pixie and Yarnham today too

Likewise Jo! B)

A good show today with a positive vibe today, well worth the trip down the A4 and one I'd recommend for anyone at a lose end tomorrow. It was really good to put some new names to faces and also remind myself of some old ones.

Pix

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for posting the pics - nice show.

Can anyone tell me which is the layout (6th photo from the start) with the single car DMU and shunter? Looks to be very interesting.

Thanks, Pete

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to all involved for a great show. I won't shame the culprit, but if you have a remote controller, please stand away from the layout when you are running it, so that others can see - every time I passed your efforts, you were blocking the view. Operate it from the back or the side.

Wallet hurts a bit - but I have added to the rolling stock, and bought all the point motors I need. Head hurt too this morning after a pub crawl down memory lane last night............

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to all involved for a great show. I won't shame the culprit, but if you have a remote controller, please stand away from the layout when you are running it, so that others can see - every time I passed your efforts, you were blocking the view. Operate it from the back or the side.

On reflection I decided my tone came across as a little grumpy and have therefore decided to withdraw tis post

Jerry

I thought it was a great weekend and would add my thanks to Geoff and the rest of the Bentley team for putting on an excellant show.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

There were three layouts which were operated from the front.

Geoff Endacott

Now you mention it there were two others, very good and very different US outline layouts - both of which I managed to get a good, unrestricted view of over the weekend. That said, I stand by my comments about operating from the front even if I did perhaps put it across in a slightly more grumpy tone than strictly necessary. Apologies for that.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

Jerry - you were never in the way operating "Calne", and it was truly a work of art. Many thanks for showing it.

Hi MIB,

Highbury was my layout but thanks for your comments anyway. I have edited my previous post as, on reflection, I decided the tone was far more grumpy than intended. We had a great weekend and the discovery of a rich vein of Jelly Babies in the coal was an added bonus :rolleyes:

Jerry

The wife and I had a very enjoyable couple of hours at the Calne show on Saturday and it seemed to have a healthy number of people at the show. I was very pleased to see a handful of traders selling the brilliant Bachmann JJAs even more so at £80 for four (I bought 2 flat and 2 curved, superb).

Some of the layouts seemed to have the dreaded gremlins present but I enjoyed seeing Hedges Hill once again and another small N Gauge layout that featured modern image stuff.

I was tempted to buy some flashing red tail lights and a set of hand-made station lights but refrained and instead bought yet another FL 66 :P which seems to have a dodgy bogie but theres always ebay for that sort of thing.

The cafe upstairs did seem to get over-whelmed by the sheer volume of punters but they did sell a half decent cup of tea and chocolate muffins.

A great day was had by all and a big thanks to all involved in putting a show like this together.

• 1 year later...

I haven't seen any. Black Dog Halt was retired from the exhibition circuit after the show and it now resides at Chippenham Museum and Heritage Centre.

Geoff Endacott

Worth saying as well that it was adapted for display at the museum with new hidden boards, shuttle units, removal of one scenic board and other modifications entailing the removal of all of the exisiting wiring so won't be venturing from the Museum anytime soon.

• RMweb Gold

Hi did anyone take any pictures of the black dog halt layout if so could you please put them on this thread.

Here's a few from its trip to Chippenham in 2010

BTW does anyone know when Walter E Neate ran his coal business from Black Dog Halt?

post-1036-0-69283500-1329865720_thumb.jpgpost-1036-0-45213900-1329865714_thumb.jpgpost-1036-0-64463400-1329865725_thumb.jpgpost-1036-0-22335400-1329865731_thumb.jpgpost-1036-0-85987200-1329865739_thumb.jpgpost-1036-0-28628400-1329865748_thumb.jpg

Archived