Wills building kits

Hello all, I was sitting down yesterday to a nice day of modelling and opened my Wills station kit CK16.. which I had bought locally at a swap meet. Thinking what a lovely way to spend the nice winters day and a little modelling can occur. I opened the 2 boxes and looked though the parts sitting in front of me where to start. At this point I noticed that there was a single important thing missing... the instructions (well the templates)..... Ahhhh thought i how am I going to build this nice little station!

My plea to you is does any one have a copy of the instructions they can scan and email to me?

I have figured out some parts but the main station building I have yet to start!

So PM me if you have the instructions.

In playing around yesterday I have found a better way to cut the Wills sheets. It is to use a scaple until about halfway through then to use a big stanley knife with a new blade!

Oh and I will throw a few photos on with what I am thinking at some stage!

• RMweb Gold

Doug,

Have you tried emailing Ratio house at Buckfast, the makers of the kit? They might be able to help. There should be an address on the box somewhere. (What a pain!)

Regards,

Nick

Thanks To all Teaky and Butler. :D

I will post a few photo's of my bodging soon.

The building is destined to be a photo back drop/ Diaroma. Alot along the lines of the Paxton Hill by Iain Rice.

I have liked the photo's in the book so much I would quite like a bit of a change from the layou where I really only have a single location for photos.

Well as there seems to be so many people who have viewed the topic. Can I ask people to start posting photo's of there completed buildings. I have 2 signal boxes and the terrace house (4 no not just 2) to photo at home in various states of undress! :rolleyes: (problem with keeping things in boxes....they get damaged over time)

Now I will post some photos as soon as I can!

• Like 1

Ok I am working through the kit. I have found that the older the sheets the more brittle they can be. I have been cutting them with a combination of Stanley knife, scaple, No 10 and 10a blades and also the stainless steel saws that you can buy from Expo (now sold re packaged at ridiculous prices at the local Bunnings). They seem to work OK until they start to blunt :( Tonight I am moving the coffee table from the lounge to the family room to sit in front of the TV and cut the windows.

Oh I have also mirror imaged the building (something a little different)

Photo's at the moment wouldn't be that interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have promised in a few postings to get some photo's Well here is the station at the current state of play:-

post-3192-128125330207_thumb.jpg

This is the platform side less the platform canopy

post-3192-1281253375_thumb.jpg

This is the Toilet end

post-3192-128125349343_thumb.jpg

This is the "street" side of the building.

Here are a couple of a terrace that I am going to replicate. This was built a fair number of years ago. I think it is more than 7... BK... (Before kids)

post-3192-128125363273_thumb.jpgpost-3192-128125369737_thumb.jpg

And a signal box that has seen better days. (just needs a bit of TLC. it is the wills kit with a brick base)

post-3192-128125380763_thumb.jpg

that is it for the moment. I am waiting on a delivery to commence battle with the engine shed!

I have purchased some tamiya paints to get on and paint up the buildings. So that will take a week or 5!

Last night I received the Wills kits and bits from Rails of Sheifeild. So I now have more terrace houses and the engine shed to get on with along with finishing the station off.

The engine shed will recycle a pervious kit so that there are 5 bays of windows, not just 4. This way the shed will appear big enough to hold all the tools benches etc to cover the minor repairs that they usually did.

I will say that I am very surprised at the length of platform that is included in the station. I will extend it by another 4 sheets so as to accomodate a 3 coach train but it was a lot more than I expected!

So next weekend will see a fair bit of construction going on at the local exhibition.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the AMRA exhibition did allow me to get a number of things done. (though I had no light in which to do it!)Next time I will be taking a lamp.... or a miners helmet. (don't get me started!!! SRman gave up!)

Here is where the engine shed ended up by the end of the day and back at home on the layout. I am quite happy with it. I did notice however that the dimensions on the kit do seem to be missing in places. Also the roof main sections do need to be measured in situ as they seem to vary from about 51 to 55mm depending on which "plane" was being worked on.

Any way here are a few photos

post-3192-128246192109_thumb.jpg

the middle (ie 5th bay) which needs to hide about 2mm at each end.

post-3192-128246197007_thumb.jpg

The over all view of the roof

post-3192-128246211325_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Doug,

first time I've looked at your work. You obviously enjoy working in plastic sheet. Nice stuff so far; the rear of those terraced houses has plenty of character, they immediately reminded me of one I lived in, in Lincoln for a couple of years, some while ago. Nice subtle weathering on the water tower too.

Steve.

Thanks Steve,

the weathering was just a wash of Humbrol mat black painted on and then wiped away with a tissue before it dried too much. Since then i have been using Tamiya painted which I havn't had quite the success with as the Humbrol. Though the clean up is about a 10th the time. (acrylic vs Enamel!)

I need to do a bit of modelling this weekend So I might get some more done and post on this thread or in my layout thread!

• 10 years later...

Embarrassingly the station was resurrected over the Christmas break... yes 10 years since starting it. Hence the resuscitation of this thread. In between I have been doing a lot of modelling and 2 years ago I started deliberately had a New Years resolution to finishing previously  started kits which were not complete. The station really fell into the abyss of a table in the modelling area where it had laid with damage loose bits and incomplete. 

Now after 3weeks of leave and working on the station with some extra bits and a lot of painting. I can say it is now at the completion stage! ( only down pipes to be glued on!) 

IMG_0885.JPG.137e9731f9fbd63305d0a1e977148215.JPGIMG_0886.JPG.8efdd922833799aefdbd53b33a979a71.JPGIMG_0887.JPG.de04764b4c3985cbaabe25beb620804f.JPG

i am very happy this came out so well. The painting was probably the one thing I spent the most amount time on to finish it. They are all humbrol enamels and all Matt in finish. 

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

Well a few months on and things have been building away happily... I wonder if I have finnally got buildings out of my system.

The station as above is DSC_1636.JPG.674ad7c30fef2add8aa56904574ca6f4.JPG

and the other side 

DSC_1637.JPG.b760e0f9cb1bbe9ff7bf38e653557d41.JPG

I then went off on a tangent of buiding things 

a goods shed could be useful

DSC_1633.JPG.c0f737e74ef71f63d34f8fe814670d59.JPG

Yes a standard brick good shed kit. I will point out this is narrower than the instructions. (I didnt read them and realised it should have been wider. )

DSC_1634.JPG.94359bdac239febdc4244386e5886301.JPG

The doors on this side are poseable ie can be opened and closed - this is the rail side. I decided I didnt want the loading dock to that is supplied in this kit so its bits are in the spares box. The kit didnt mention them on the photo but they are included the same as the stone version. 

At this point I had a hankering for a rail connected warehouse/ dairy/ industry.... who knows what they make and then ship out!

So I pulled out the spare parts (which is now quite considerable as I seem to be collecting more wills bits) and see what I could build out of the rest of my spares. 

DSC_1631.JPG.79bcc99594464b6f134f81bcbf420772.JPGDSC_1632.JPG.5c982468e1a24d86a54c73242cff9317.JPG

As you can see this has used the templates from the engine shed, and the good shed... then it needed an office and hard stand. 

Realising I was doing only rail connected buildings I through to purchase a black swan pub which has the challenges of the 2 gable sections and then the middle run of the roofing so I took on the challenge! I did manage to get the building out of sqare but I think it achieves what I was looking for.... even though it has an extra quirk or 2. 

DSC_1629.JPG.d52d15c9edd486fcc5d9f94abc2771bd.JPG

These were completed up to Mid May 

Edited by DougN
A photo that wasnt supposed to be there!
  • Like 5

Ok roll onto last friday and I spotted a house in a Youtube video which I quite liked the look of so I did a sketch and approximate size:

DSC_1639.JPG.996745ce10a25c6950b778537abbe0c5.JPG

I looked in my wills box (still out and on the floor) realizing most of the materials were in there so Sunday sat down and cut out all the parts.  I cut them out with a few tools standard l, a large break off style box cutter knife, and a Trumpeter... hooky thingy. 

14196170_DSC_1638(2).JPG.e3cc48e091aa732fc23cfd87926c1cb3.JPG

This seems to work very well taking out a thin curl of plasticard each time. 

Fast forward to today ( a bit of annual leave for some study and relaxing) 

DSC_1627.JPG.7c48100cd02389d6ef5e9b39749dad39.JPG

DSC_1628.JPG.919f49f7321d31ff9620f51d1ac68af6.JPG

Not quite finished - the chimney has only had a coat of brick red and needs a wash tomorrow of mortar colour. Along with painting the chimney pots. after that it is just a couple of lengths of down pipes and guttering to finish off! 

Ok you will need the following to build this one:

3 sheets of roof tiles

3 sheets of plain brick

a number of windows sprues I think it was 2 or 3 I went through along with the window surrounds

Painting was all Humbrol colours (brick red 70, Orange, Yellow, Oxford blue,  light grey, red, white ) along with the blue grey wash over the roof and wall tiles. 

My wills box after all these buildings still seems to have more materials than I started with! I have only purchased the wills tiles for the above building and everything else came out of said box. How can I have more materials than I started with? 

Any how if people like this little building the sketch is there with approximate dimensions so you are more than welcome to build one in a style that you like. I have also thought to do more sketches for using Wills sheets so if I find another building I will. Enjoy building. 

Edited by DougN
forgotten to add stuff
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1