Wolverhampton's railways in colour

Guest Phil

Eighty colour pages in a landscape format with pretty extensive captions, this new book published by Amadeus press of Cleckheaton in Yorkshire (ISBN 978-0-9565797-0-6) is a must for lovers of West Midlands railways, particularly in the British Railways era. Simon Dewey has authored / co-authored a number of books about this new city, but this is the best yet in my opinion.

The tightly bounded geographical area takes in Bushbury and Oxley in the west and Wednesfield, Portobello and Priestfield in the east. People with local knowledge will appreciate that it is a fairly compact railway grouping but there is a very varied set of photographs to view. The majority of photos appear to cover the 1960s steam era along with some green diesels, but a small number of BR blue subjects and the very occasional sector livery give the book some variety.

The cover photograph shows a grimy britannia 70045 "Lord Rowallan" departing Wolverhampton Low Level with a summer saturday express to Portsmouth in 1965, the rear cover showing 85003 and 87005 stabled on the High level holding sidings. An introduction from Pete Waterman and a small map help set the scene. There are twenty images of BR blue or post BR "modern image" subjects as well as a couple of preservation era steam shots but the balance are "hardcore 60s".

One of my personal faves is a bright shot, but with snow on the ground showing brand new gleaming maroon SYP D1047 Western Lord at the head of 4V78 at Oxley Branch Junction on delivery from Crewe works. The caption states "The Western will come off it's train, handing over to a Hall, and work light engine round the opposite arm of the triangle, to Oxley shed, before onward progression to the Western Region, and it's first home Cardiff Canton". Don't be fooled into thinking 4V78 was a parcels or a freighliner though, the first two wagons are a sheeted hyfit and a standard 12T van !!!

Bought my copy from Ian Allan in Birmingham for £15.99 simply because they hadn't heard of my first choice "The South Staffordshire Railway" by Bob Yate, newly published by the Oakwood Press !!!

PS

Simon Dewey states that the copyright for this book is with the Severn Valley Railway (Wolverhampton branch) and proceeds from the book will go to the restoration fund for 7819 Hinton Manor on the Severn Valley Railway

That's a must-browse next time I'm down the Alien, thanks for the heads-up mate wink.gif

No probs:D

Just one photo missing from the book was a D4xx running round a Silverdale- Buildwas slack train at Cannock Road Junction,although he has several of class 47s doing it.

One interesting shot April 1963 shot shows 45130 leaving Wolverhampton with a Manchester express next to a gleaming green Met Camm set. The one and a half visible cars are a GSYP DMSL and a bit of a brakevan. I can't determine whether it is a DMBS or a TBCL. I don't think the West Midlands had any MetCamm trailer brakes, which suggests it is a 3 car Met Camm set missing the centre trailer.

Bought my copy from Ian Allan in Birmingham for £15.99 simply because they hadn't heard of my first choice "The South Staffordshire Railway" by Bob Yate, newly published by the Oakwood Press !!!

I was in Ian Allan in Birmingham yesterday (had just been to Modelzone to purchase a 1990s red TPO) and saw this book. I did pick it up but put it back and took the Oakwood 'South Staffordshire Railway' instead- purely as I wanted to try and limit my spending. It will be purchased on my next visit though- some nice pictures- looked maybe a bit too much steam but considering the proceeds/profits are going to an SVR restoration then this is understandable- my favourite shot was that of a 6 car Blue Pullman at Wolverhampton High Level after working a Footex- complete with jumper cables on the cabs and carrying full yellow ends on its nanking blue livery.

If you get the chance to get back into the centre Phil, IA certainly have plenty of the Oakwood book in stock now.

I was in Ian Allan in Birmingham yesterday (had just been to Modelzone to purchase a 1990s red TPO) and saw this book. I did pick it up but put it back and took the Oakwood 'South Staffordshire Railway' instead- purely as I wanted to try and limit my spending. It will be purchased on my next visit though- some nice pictures- looked maybe a bit too much steam but considering the proceeds/profits are going to an SVR restoration then this is understandable- my favourite shot was that of a 6 car Blue Pullman at Wolverhampton High Level after working a Footex- complete with jumper cables on the cabs and carrying full yellow ends on its nanking blue livery.

If you get the chance to get back into the centre Phil, IA certainly have plenty of the Oakwood book in stock now.

Thanks very much Natalie.

It is quite remarkable that the South Staffs books was an unknown on Friday but is in stock on Tuesday !! I'll be down there after work.

I'm guessing Natalie, you like the shot of the INTERCITY liveried stock passing over the viaduct as yet more passed underneath on the Oxley chord. Maybe also the shot of LLB 47617 in Wolverhampton station ?

I'm guessing Natalie, you like the shot of the INTERCITY liveried stock passing over the viaduct as yet more passed underneath on the Oxley chord. Maybe also the shot of LLB 47617 in Wolverhampton station ?

You know me too well Phil!! I also liked the shot of the Norwich- New Street ECS en route to Oxley behind (IIRC) a class 25.

In the Oakwood book there is a postcard showing a sausage train (I think it is Palethorpes) side on- not sure if you have seen it before or is of use to you Phil- assuming that it is you doing Sedgely Junction.

You know me too well Phil!! I also liked the shot of the Norwich- New Street ECS en route to Oxley behind (IIRC) a class 25.

In the Oakwood book there is a postcard showing a sausage train (I think it is Palethorpes) side on- not sure if you have seen it before or is of use to you Phil- assuming that it is you doing Sedgeley Junction.

Yes Natalie.

I went to IA after work on Wednesday and bought my copy. Just need some downtime now to read it !!!

Thanks for the tip.

I'll review the South Staffs book on here soon too, but need to read it first !!

Archived