Somewhere in Cornwall...

Northpoint

Thanks for the feedback, Ian.

There isn't a lot of room in the depth so I'm a bit stumped as to how to put more. The trees that are there already interfere with the stock on the back siding.

Again, any suggestions welcome.

Here's an idea that I've had for a while that I've never had a chance to put into practice.

I've thought about installing a backscene that slopes backwards away from the layout on some of my narrow designs. It doesn't have to slope backwards much just enough to fill the area with tree foliage to give the trees some extra depth and move them away from the track.

Though the much simpler idea of trimming the trees back so they don't foul the loading gauge is good too...

Ian

Here's some more pics:

post-6943-128135733188_thumb.jpg

Yes, I know the seat fell over!

That'll be the local bored teenagers...

Great layout though, it's similar to what I've been trying to achieve (and failing) in O gauge - particularly like your idea of the main and siding joining "beyond the viewing area" and that may help me with my planning problems - I can't get what I want in the space I have, and with Peco only doing the larger radius points (72") in O gauge that doesn't help!

There isn't a lot of room in the depth so I'm a bit stumped as to how to put more. ...

Are you still intending to not have a backscene, Nick? (No problem with that- my UK-outline O scale layout doesn't have one- it'll be at Chris's Show ;) ) If so, the least I would do is conceal the edges of the backing boards behind the trees more; I realise this is probably on the "still to do" list, but it really would help. Then to add more 'trees' I'd do a similar thing again to what you've done, but with thinner backing (card or plasticard?) and finer 'turf', and fill the gaps in between the existing trees. The finer turf would help give an impression of distance, especially if the colours were toned down a bit.

Then again, if I could produce the fantastic hand-painted backscenes you can, Nick....... :D B) ;)

Just spotted this layout - superb modelling and the outside photos show you've achieved a fantastic balance in the colours used! :) Is the track just ballasted with sand? It looks good - C&L ready to lay stuff or hand assembled Exactoscale?

What are you using for fiddleyards at each end?

I do like the Hornby 153 in that livery - but I mustn't start any more projects! :)

Just found this one too, great stuff!

1) the class 08 trundling through the station.

post-6943-128127408699_thumb.jpg

That's a wonderful picture, really nice colours, and the EWS livery is a good counterpoint to the greens around it.

I had to look twice to see it was a model actually, I didn't register the Kadees at first, they disappear and you just see the buffers :)

Will

Will and James - thanks for your comments.

The track is OO ready made (I can't remember which make as I've had it so long!), ballasted with a mix of Woodland Scenics fine ballast.

The fiddle yards are currently plain track. At present, the operation is very simple - the 153 to and fro on the front track and the 08 shunting up and down on the back track.

I might experiment with Peco loco lifts in order to remove and replace stock, but I'm also thinking of hiding the hidden tracks in a "box" as the 153 has a sound decoder fitted so I want to find a way of muting the sound without turning it off. The problem with turning the sound off is that when you turn it on again, it goes through the whole series of effects - horn, guard's buzzer, doors closing etc which isn't appropriate in the fiddle yard!

Re photos - I always try and take photos in daylight where possible - it makes the colours much more natural, also the shadows etc.

Are you still intending to not have a backscene, Nick? (No problem with that- my UK-outline O scale layout doesn't have one- it'll be at Chris's Show ;) ) If so, the least I would do is conceal the edges of the backing boards behind the trees more; I realise this is probably on the "still to do" list, but it really would help. Then to add more 'trees' I'd do a similar thing again to what you've done, but with thinner backing (card or plasticard?) and finer 'turf', and fill the gaps in between the existing trees. The finer turf would help give an impression of distance, especially if the colours were toned down a bit.

Then again, if I could produce the fantastic hand-painted backscenes you can, Nick....... :D B) ;)

Yes, Jordan, still the intention not to have a backscene. I've taken on board what you said about the edges of the board. How's this?

post-6943-128144674423_thumb.jpg

post-6943-128144677993_thumb.jpg

post-6943-128144679827_thumb.jpg

Looking at the middle picture - I thought trees lost their foliage in the Autumn :)

Thanks everybody for your comments and feedback - please keep it coming.

Nice pictures.

Pity about the garden shed though... :D

The way your trees blend into the real trees in the background is particularly effective.

Makes me think my idea about the sloping backscene might be a workable idea

Ian

Ian - I deliberately took that picture against the garden shed as I thought it would contrast against my trees - I thought my trees got lost with the real trees in the background! :)

But you're right, they do blend in quite well.

I'm intrigued by your sloping background idea. What sort of incline would you envisage and how much space might it take up?

The photos looks lovely - the trees are really effective and posing outside like that looks great. I think some static grass in the sidings would look a treat, I guess the foliage overspill is to be cleaned up? It would be good to have some overgrowth I think!

Ian - I deliberately took that picture against the garden shed as I thought it would contrast against my trees - I thought my trees got lost with the real trees in the background! :)

But you're right, they do blend in quite well.

I'm intrigued by your sloping background idea. What sort of incline would you envisage and how much space might it take up?

I've got some notes somewhere scribbled on some paper. I'll see if I can find them.

For a forested area like in your situation it needn't be much 50-75mm or so perhaps.

I also played with the idea for the wide open flatlands of the Lincolnshire coast there I was thinking of a gentle slop that might be as much as 200mm deep treated with muted tones and maybe even very small scale building on it to force the perspective

Ian

I've got some notes somewhere scribbled on some paper. I'll see if I can find them.

For a forested area like in your situation it needn't be much 50-75mm or so perhaps.

I also played with the idea for the wide open flatlands of the Lincolnshire coast there I was thinking of a gentle slop that might be as much as 200mm deep treated with muted tones and maybe even very small scale building on it to force the perspective

Ian

Sounds good to me. A future project for me is the north of Germany - very much like the eastern counties here - flat! So that's a good tip. But that's for another day.

I'm in danger of hijaking my own thread here if I'm not careful....

The photos looks lovely - the trees are really effective and posing outside like that looks great. I think some static grass in the sidings would look a treat, I guess the foliage overspill is to be cleaned up? It would be good to have some overgrowth I think!

Thaks for that, James. I will probably clear up the overspill - mind you, most of it came off when I brought the layout back upstairs (better get the vacuum cleaner out before you know who comes home...).

Some static grass would be good - I have some but don't have an applicator! Will it work without one?

Yes, Jordan, still the intention not to have a backscene. I've taken on board what you said about the edges of the board. How's this?

post-6943-128144674423_thumb.jpg

In one word, Nick :- Superb..!!!

I like the overspill on the sidings - I thought it was deliberate!! :rolleyes: - helps to distinguish them from the Main line. B)

In one word, Nick :- Superb..!!!

I like the overspill on the sidings - I thought it was deliberate!! :rolleyes: - helps to distinguish them from the Main line. B)

I thought the different ballast and the different level distinguished the main line..... :(

Only joking - as you can see from the other posts, suggestions are being made re the sidings, so something will happen soon.

Thanks for the paludit, by the way; very kind of you.

post-6943-128144677993_thumb.jpg

Looking at the middle picture - I thought trees lost their foliage in the Autumn smile.gif

Thanks everybody fot your comments and feedback - please keep it coming.

Hi Nick,

Beautiful layout and really, really nice scenery! When i first saw the picture above, i actually thought the shed was a part of the layout (D'oh!).

Most impressive and worth my vote!

Keep up the good work, it's an inspiration to us all.

Cheers,

John E.

Here's an idea that I've had for a while that I've never had a chance to put into practice.

I've thought about installing a backscene that slopes backwards away from the layout on some of my narrow designs. It doesn't have to slope backwards much just enough to fill the area with tree foliage to give the trees some extra depth and move them away from the track.

Though the much simpler idea of trimming the trees back so they don't foul the loading gauge is good too...

Ian

Hi Ian

Shortliner directed me to your blog - I get it now. Good idea - let me know if you get around to using it and if it works. I think I'm too far down the road to use it now.

More nice pictures, Nick - I'm impressed how such a small area can look so good smile.gif

One more question though - have you thought of a name yet....? wink.gif

Thanks for the kind words, Rich.

Re the name, in a word - no!

I guess I'll eventually go down the road of either Tre.., Pol.., or Pen.. (to quote John Betjeman) :rolleyes: I had toyed with Tremore - in reality, a village near Bodmin.

Unless anybody can come up with anything suitable..?

Archived