Somewhere in Cornwall...

Northpoint

Really coming together nicely now Nick. Just need some of those hooded wagons for a nice 80s feel.

Thanks, Dave.

I'm getting confused now - Chris was here yesterday saying how well the layout looked with the green class 121 bubble car and the Hymek... :D

People are asking for pictures in the blue era... :D

Maybe I'll turn it into one of those layouts that changes era every so often!

I'm getting confused now - Chris was here yesterday saying how well the layout looked with the green class 121 bubble car and the Hymek... :D

People are asking for pictures in the blue era... :D

A really good layout will look great whatever stock is on it, such as Chris Nevard's Cement Quay... and this one, of course.... :D B)

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Nick - that Bubble looks very comfortable in it's surroundings. A 37 on clay hoods passing through in the background would be the cats whiskers ;)

On a more serious note, it does show the benefits of being able to change the era with ease - nice work.

The lighting tubes have arrived:

post-6943-128291576949_thumb.jpg

The photos are much better indoors but still not quite as good as being in natural light. Too much of a yellow tint, I think.

post-6943-128291585092_thumb.jpg

Here's the question: as the neutral wall won't always be behind it, does it need a pale blue background to set it off?

Opinions welcome.

The yellow tint in the photos could be corrected by adjusting the camera's white point I expect...

As for a permanent background... hmmm... not sure - it might be worth looking into a fabric roll or similar that can be used in certain circumstances?

The yellow tint in the photos could be corrected by adjusting the camera's white point I expect...

As for a permanent background... hmmm... not sure - it might be worth looking into a fabric roll or similar that can be used in certain circumstances?

Good idea, James. It's not only the photos, though, the layout has taken on a slight yellow tint in real life when the lights are on!

Good idea, James. It's not only the photos, though, the layout has taken on a slight yellow tint in real life when the lights are on!

Nick is it worth contacting a theatrical supplier and checking on "Gels" to change the colour of the light? This is a US site, but will give you info http://www.stagespot...olorchoice.html

http://www.stagespot...rescent%20Tubes

http://www.onstagelighting.co.uk/lighting-design/colour-correction-filters-stage-lighting-gels/

I know we have a couple of sound people on here - we may have lighting people as well, who might be able to help.

• RMweb Gold

Nick - I guess it's all down to personal preference but I think I will be using a pale grey/white background for my future backscenes.

I tried the blue sky on my Kyle layout but for me it looks too much like a 'Go Turkey' * holiday brochure so I will keep it neutral.

Pete

*Insert as applicable

I agree with F-UnitMad, I think the yellow tint is attractive. You might want to experiment with a pale blue backscene though - it could help the image make more sense: At the moment you have a sunlit foreground with an overcast-looking background, so they don't support each other. The blue *may* also help to cool the light down (since the bounced light will be bluish) without changing the fittings or adding gels, although I wouldn't expect too much.

Thinking about it, it might also be worth trying a pale blue roof over the whole thing. That way, direct light will be yellow (sun) and the first bounce will be cooler (sky). Maybe :)

Will

• RMweb Premium

Nice work.

I'm thinking of Grogley Halt. That was a short Exmouth Junction platform in its latter days and was served by bubblecars. It even had the clay operations from Ruthern Bridge at one time. Only the bus stop is "modellers' licence" :D

962880_9f41c7af.jpg

© Copyright Tony Atkin and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

• 3 weeks later...

The lighting tubes have arrived:

post-6943-128291576949_thumb.jpg

The photos are much better indoors but still not quite as good as being in natural light. Too much of a yellow tint, I think.

post-6943-128291585092_thumb.jpg

Here's the question: as the neutral wall won't always be behind it, does it need a pale blue background to set it off?

Opinions welcome.

Hi i do like these 2 shots i think the lighting is just right do you have anymore progress on the layout and a few more pics would be nice:D

cheers

Hi i do like these 2 shots i think the lighting is just right do you have anymore progress on the layout and a few more pics would be nice:D

cheers

Not much happening at the moment. It's got to a stage that there's not a lot left to do. It's likely to be in Railway Modeller, probably soemtime next year. I also had an invitation for it to go to Wolverhampton exhibition in November but I'm already booked with Lochnagar at Solihull that weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of weeks ago, I actually got a chance to go to the location that inspired all this ;

post-6943-006282300 1286283606_thumb.jpg

post-6943-098808800 1286283640_thumb.jpg

The train is the one from Newquay which arrives at Par at about 4pm. We must been held up at the crossing by that train on at least three occasions during the week! :D

We stayed in a lovely little cottage on the corner of the pub just opposite Par station - when I booked it, I was told it was in Tywardreath so imagine my surprise when I looked it up on Google maps and found its proximity to the station... :rolleyes:

Trust you enjoyed your stay on the Tywardreath/Par borders...and sampled the beers as well as the view from the Royal - stay at the pub in a room at the front and you can train watch from the comfort of an armchair :D

We thoroughly enjoyed it. Sampled the beer in the Royal - they had Bays Devon Dumpling as a guest beer - superb!

We were almost able to watch the trains -

post-6943-076620900 1286285372_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold
I put in a offer when it was for sale a few years ago but got outbid by the owner of the pub :(

on the plus side Mickey...just think how much your liver may have benefited from that missed chance though...if it were me, proximity to that pub would have halted my modelling :P

Archived