Frankland: N gauge Southern Railway

Southernboy

Some hours ago i found Frankland. After a couple of pages i thought that i really must congratulate you on what you do but now after i have seen everything i have i dont know where to even begin congratulating you. Simply amazing and thank you for sharing it all with us.

If there is life after death please let it be in Frankland.

Inglenookfan

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

A bit modern of you aren't they? 

I was expecting the King's speech on the wireless...

Merry Christmas

Must be a slip in the space-time continuum - on both counts!!

I think you'll find that Messrs Bartholomew & Wiseman were only little nippers in the late 1920's, born 1926 & 1925 respectively, & they didn't start performing together until 1941...

Meanwhile, the first King's Speech on the Wireless was at Christmas 1932.

C'mon now - such a cracking layout as Frankland must get all the details correct!!! ;)

I know; must get out more... :blush:

• 2 weeks later...
Special Announcement

Stuart_Hibberd_zps5yebky3h.jpg

Well there’s no putting the news off any longer, it seems apart from some paperwork, I’m moving house within the next four to eight weeks.

The new home will have it’s own, proper, dedicated railway room, with enough space for a slightly larger layout than I have now.

I’m very excited, although as you can imagine, also a little sentimental at saying goodbye to Frankland in its current guise.

No promises - but I expect the next rendition of Frankland will include working trams, underground trains, and A/C electrics, alongside third rail.

The house I’m moving to is Edwardian, and completely unmodernised, so much work needs to be done.
This means it may be a year or so before I can start on a new layout.

But that doesn’t stop me planning though icon_smile.gif

I’ll be sharing thoughts on the new layout in due course icon_smile.gif
Edited by Southernboy
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

The house I’m moving to is Edwardian, and completely unmodernised...

Sounds the ideal setting for Frankland.

Don't modernise the house dear boy, live the Edwardian lifestyle instead.

You know it makes sense!

• Like 2

Many thanks for comments and 'likes' - all very much appreciated indeed.

In response to comments:

Woodenhead

"Do not post any pictures of Frankland being dismantled, we want to remember it just the way it was."

Frankland exists in a repeating loop of 1924 – 1937. There will never be a beginning or an end :)

David

"I do hope you keep the buildings and details you have from Frankland..."

Yes indeed, they are like family to me and will feature on the new layout where practical.

backofanenvelope

"... are you reusing all or part of FL..."

Just the buildings. Baseboard etc will all be new.

Ben

"Will your new layout retain the Southern theme... "

Frankland is Frankland - it can never change ;)

Nick

"but will it be 2mm ?"

I wish I had the skill and patience - just look Tim's 'Lord President' for instance!  I will use Fine Track code 40 though, and continue to use smoke and mirrors to create the illusion of finescale even when it is not.

Edited by Southernboy
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Nick

"but will it be 2mm ?"

I wish I had the skill and patience - just look Tim's 'Lord President' for instance!  I will use Fine Track code 40 though, and continue to use smoke and mirrors to create the illusion of finescale even when it is not.

There are very few of us 2millers that have Tim's skill and patience! The rest of us manage somehow.  :)

I would guess that you could easily achieve something worthwhile in 2FS, but maybe too late to convert all your stock?

Edited by Kylestrome

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for comments and 'likes' - all very much appreciated indeed.

In response to comments:

Nick

"but will it be 2mm ?"

Your superb  sub build's shows your talents sir these could easily be converted to 2mm with drop in wheels, track building to  2mm standard would be the same as code 40 N  with a bigger range of options available in 2mm, it just a thought if your starting again  I'm certain which ever way you go it will be excellent  :declare:

Nick

Well done on the house move and look forward to Frankland Mk2. I have just done a move and like you now have a potential railway room. Its a lovely loft just ripe for about 27ft by 12ft railway room........

All the best for the move.

Keith HC

• Like 1

Good luck with the move, let alone with getting the house ship-shape and then starting the new Frankland. Decorating a house alone will take the best part of a year (at least, it did me), and only then can you really start on the layout. I realise that this is in reverse order of importance, but life is like that sometimes. The benefit from our point of view is that we'll be in on the development of Frankland Resurgent from the very start.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...