Frankland: N gauge Southern Railway

Southernboy

queensquare

"Superb as Frankland is I think that's probably going a bit too far ... "

Agreed. Let's keep a rational measure about these things.

I really much appreciate the sentiment of David's comment (and thank you for that) - but I am certainly under no illusions when it comes to the one and only Copenhagen Fields - it is in a league of it's own :)

pirouets

"... one of my kids asked if the radios worked?"

Of course they do (at least as far as children are concerned) :)

Edited by Southernboy
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mark,

Nice bit of stop motion there with the tram!  Are you going to build the station as a Southern concrete one or something older?  There's so many 'temporary' buildings on there that I can't wait to see develop :D

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

SWAGDRAG were only talking about this last night at the Moguls Palace, now I've seen the pics for myself - some of the best modelling I've seem for a long time, well done from a one time S London resident, regards, Brian

I know you all live in unheard of luxury down there in the English Riviera Brian but hanging out at the Moguls Palace - wow!! I didn't even know that the Mogul was a member of SWAGDRAG :scratchhead:

Jerry

• Like 1

I know you all live in unheard of luxury down there in the English Riviera Brian but hanging out at the Moguls Palace - wow!! I didn't even know that the Mogul was a member of SWAGDRAG :scratchhead:

Jerry

He clearly likes the company of the titled, as anyone who has seen Mr Harrap's bus pass can attest!

It was mentioned in discussion about "extreme modelling" in relation to the 2mm scale sausages, cakes and other window dressings shown in the latest Frankland update!

ah SWAG is = South West Area Group?

(I thought of quite a few jokes on the SWAGDRAG theme but dropped them as someone is definitely going to get the wrong end of the stick - )

But that could be a double-entendre in itself!

It's a dangerous world we live in these days ...

Edited by Southernboy

Hey, I got invited to the Mogul Palace too - bit too tight; I had to get back to New York by 10:00pm.....

Gawd, this layout is raising the stakes in N. Very inspiring though; thank you for sharing it on RMWeb. This place is so cool.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

May I ask what is SWAGDRAG ? It sounds like some swish place for Drag Queens !!

SWAG is indeed the South West Area Group of RMWeb

DRAG is the Devon Riviera Area Group of the S4 Society

The Moguls Palace is a rather good curry house in Buckfastleigh, on the A38, an ex-Little Chef, which has got to make it fairly unique, just like your superb, unbelievable modelling!

I tell you what, Southernboy, if there's any way that layout can be put in a road vehicle, you can consider yourself well and truely invited to a future Taunton RMWeb Members Day!

• Like 1

'Whoosh!"

Captain Kernow:

That is very flattering of you and many thanks indeed. You bought a very contented smile to my face :)

Unfortunately Frankland is not designed as a transportable layout. It is designed to be dismantled and reassembled in the event of a house move - but only with all the wiring disconnected (and in some parts 'unsoldered') and then reconnected at the other end... so not at all practical for exhibitions. Sorry! Maybe I'll be more practical when it comes one day to the next version of Frankland.

-------------------

Thank you to others for your very kind comments also.

Just for info: I've now started a thread on what I hope will be my next project, a 3-Sub using a Worsley Works etch.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/66512-n-gauge-lswr-3-sub/

Edited by Southernboy
  • Like 1

Mark,

I've just stumbled across your thread.  All I can say is wow!  I absolutely love the atmosphere that exudes from the finished (?) areas.  If I hadn't looked through the thread from the beginning I would not have known that the buildings were not modelled in a much larger scale.

My hat goes off to you sir!

PS I've added the thread to my list of favourites :-)

Ian

Ultimately of course whether to exhibit or not has to be your decision and yours alone - but there are a lot of people as you can see who are very impressed with what you have managed to create.  In fact, the "smallness" of it is in many ways a selling point as most people would have space for something similar within their own domestic environments rather than an O gauge scale model of Clapham Junction we may all dream of.

I know you consider it "not much to look at" but then we're always the most critical of our own efforts, aren't we?

• Like 1

Don't worry, Mark.

I'm sure we all understand and respect your wishes.

I, for one, am sincerely grateful that you took the time to share your little masterpiece with us, so thank you. Just hope we haven't put you off (would put a smiley here but the darned things greyed out and have forgotten the instructions on the prompt!).

Best wishes,

Jonte

• Like 2