Frankland: N gauge Southern Railway

Southernboy

The more I see of FRANKLAND and the more I read about the fine detail, the more it impresses.....

Already it is certain the finished layout will look totally credible on all points despite cramming 3 above-ground stations + 2 underground ones and a 'boring oval' onto a 6' x 3' board - normally the perfect recipe for catastrophe, but here kissed with the vital spark of talent.

And skill.

This should yet end up in the National Railway Museum, alongside INVERSNECKY.

• Like 2

I have only just joined RM so have yet to discover the many amazing talents here but I must say that your 2mm layout is 'out of this world'.  Like many have mentioned words cannot describe while like buttons cannot do justice the effort and imagination that has gone into your amazing layout.  I look forward to seeing more, much more!

Shane

• Like 1

...Is it some Trans-Atlantic thing? We really aren't keen on American influences!

... What about that young Mr Gibbons at the Savoy. I'm sure he arrived by Cunard...

• 4 weeks later...

Quite a few things in that film surprised me. 

Most of the suburban gardens seemed to have lawns - I would have expected large vegetable plots.

Few people seemed to be carrying gas masks.

There was a lot of traffic, with many taxis.

Did they not realise there was a war on?

No I've not seen that before Simon and thank you. There's plenty to observe and inspire!

As the opening titles suggest, this was mostly filmed before or just at the very start of the blitz - so still the period of the Phoney War - but the real horrors were imminent.

Mind you, for us Franklanders this is all total science fiction of course and personally I'm not convinced we'll go to war anyway ;)

Thanks again for posting.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Like others, I've only recently stumbled upon this thread. I have to say that it makes a fine read and the result so far is an absolute inspiration to others, be they armchair modellers, 2mm, 4mm or 7mm devotees. Can I also add my agreement and understanding of the fact that modelling for some can be a private "escape". I have no exhibition inspirations mainly because I doubt anything I produce could stand up to such close scrutiny. Frankland on the other hand appears to have no worries on that score - the detail is absolutely exquisite. As an exhibition-goer, I've rarely felt the need or desire to be an exhibitor. Should you ever change your mind, I for one would pay good money and travel some distance to see this. Thanks again for the inspiration. Pete.

• 1 month later...

Hi there , having just seen your period shop row, how surprised I was to find myself looking at the junction of Aristotle Road where I used to live back in the late 70s , chemist is still there , other shops were second hand furniture (junk shop) corner shop in middle if you know what I mean & mini cab office , where burger is now was Total petrol station , thanks for memory jog & fantastic modelling

Peter

• Like 1

NOW SHOWING ...

New YouTube clip of Frankland :)

What a charming layout! An oval of delight. And first class modelling, too. I read your remarks about rolling back-scenes, an excellent notion, thoroughly thought out. Certainly, photographs could make it seem quite huge.

Regards,

Tony.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I too have just discovered this thread. Truly amazing modeling. It's sadly rare to see N gauge done convincingly in a small space. You really should be exhibiting this! If only to prove that it is possible to make a fine model in N gauge. I love the hoardings you've covered the bridge in. Wonderful stuff. I look forward to seeing this progress. You might even convince me to return to N gauge myself! Well done sir! 

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Hello bridgiesimon,

Broadcasts from Frankland have continued unabated but perhaps you are not tuned in to the correct frequency?

Try the following setting on your wireless ...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/66512-n-gauge-lswr-3-sub

--------------------------------------

There was also a short newsreel recently which you still may catch at your local cinema if you are lucky:

All the best,

Mark

Edited by Southernboy
  • Like 15

I've heard there will be a special newsreel released here once reliable and regular electric services have been fully established at Frankland.

It may be some months off yet - but if you want to make the most of it head down to the Victoria Station Newsreel Theatre where it's only 6d before 4.00 for a continuous performance!

Newsreel_zps2fbf46d1.jpg

Edited by Southernboy
  • Like 14

I've heard there will be a special newsreel released here once reliable and regular electric services have been fully established at Frankland.It may be some months off yet - but if you want to make the most of it head down to the Victoria Station Newsreel Theatre where it's only 6d before 4.00 for a continuous performance!Newsreel_zps2fbf46d1.jpg

You're not going to model this? Flaming Ada, your other models are superb, but if you pull this off (and in 2mm) it will be utterly amazing.

I look forward to seeing the build!

iD

What is that architectural style called? A sub-division of Art Deco called Ocean Liner or something? When I was growing up there was a house in the next avenue over that looked similar - it always reminded me of Agatha Christie for some reason...

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

What is that architectural style called? A sub-division of Art Deco called Ocean Liner or something? When I was growing up there was a house in the next avenue over that looked similar - it always reminded me of Agatha Christie for some reason...

Best, Pete.

Its a late style of Art Deco from the 1930's called 'Streamline Moderne' or sometines 'Art Moderne'.

Edited by Baby Deltic

Thanks for comments and interest, always appreciated.

iL Dottore:

Unfortunately I'm not going to model the Victoria Station news theatre because it doesn't quite suit the space and viewing angles I have.

What does suit perfectly is the Brixton Astoria.

Here are a couple of links to photographs. I particularly like the green tiling and dome.

http://www.theatrestrust.org.uk/resources/images/show/7149-faade-of-the-brixton-academy 

http://www.southlondonguide.co.uk/Brixton/images/losttheatres/astoria.jpg

In the picture below you can see shop fronts are on the left (which in Frankland faces the main road), whilst the right is the 'rear' of the building, which on Frankland will back on to the railway.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oldcinemaphotos/2347976198/

Anyway, that's some while off yet. 

Thanks again,

Mark

Edited by Southernboy
  • Like 8

Thanks for comments and interest, always appreciated.

iL Dottore:

Unfortunately I'm not going to model the Victoria Station news theatre because it doesn't quite suit the space and viewing angles I have.

What does suit perfectly is the Brixton Astoria.

Here are a couple of links to photographs. I particularly like the green tiling and dome.

http://www.theatrestrust.org.uk/resources/images/show/7149-faade-of-the-brixton-academy 

http://www.southlondonguide.co.uk/Brixton/images/losttheatres/astoria.jpg...

Mark

Both buildings, I think, would be an interesting challenge to build, although I'm not sure which would cause the most construction headaches: The Brixton Astoria or the newsreel theatre. I look forward to seeing how you do the dome and tiles and especially how you'll get the verdigris effect.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if you covered it at the time,

What did you use for the guttering and plumbing on the semi-detached houses?

I've not found anything fine enough in my local model shop (perhaps his stock of plastic section isn't as good as it could be) and the Kestrel guttering and pipes pack isn't enough to do an entire house!

Cheers

Hello Black Sheep,

I used ' Ratio Gutters and Downpipes'. 

Since then I've come to think that basic plastic sections from the likes of Evergreen are just as good and more readily adaptable, and you probably get more for your money too (?)

http://www.evergreenscalemodels.com/index.htm

Evergreen is available from a number of UK suppliers, but there are other manufacturers of plastic sheet and sections of course.

Hope that helps!

Mark

• 1 month later...

Years ago my dad said that when the Brixton Astoria first opened it had a sliding roof for summer "open air" shows, but it soon packed-up and leaked when it rained, so they sealed it shut. Don't know if this is true, but it would make for a fascinating model - modelling the Hollywood Italianesque interior however may be just too much in 2mm-scale. 

Into the 1980's the "Ritzy" cinema still had "Electric Pavillion" painted in large white letters on the roof and was a great "DIY" cinema running on a shoestring with all night shows and home made food for sale.

My parents went to the The Rex (then Scala) cinema on Brixton Hill - closing I think in the mid 1950's  and long famous subsequently as the Tarpaulin & Tent army surplus shop - now just a shell I think.

Dad played violin and viola in talent contests at the Empress Theatre in Brighton Terrace and the Brixton Theatre - the former subsequently a Granada cinema and remodelled in 1931, then demolished quite recently, the latter bombed and parts amalgamated into the "Ritzy".

There were several other theatres and cinemas locally, so good to hear  Frankland is getting a period South London entertainment venue.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Fantastic modelling! I can't quite believe the level of detail for a 2mm scale project. I'm interested in how you created the 'painted' adverts on the bricks using crafty paper. Is this waterslide transfer paper? I ask because I am face with the same conundrum for some of my own buildings and your's look very realistic.

Peter