Frankland: N gauge Southern Railway

Southernboy

• RMweb Gold

As someone who travelled quite a lot on the electrics from Reading to Waterloo when small (early fifties) I find these very appealing. The buildings are really good. There are some interesting buildings around. I like the use of mock-ups to get the feel right.

Don

Excellent stuff - a lot better than just bog standard modelling.

G.

I can't believe that Grahame's excellent gag went unremarked! I'm loving the standard of bog modelling. Splendid stuff Southernboy - thank you for all the effort spent on your posts!

Hello Don,

I too can remember the older electrics (but only just) in the green to blue transition era. Thanks for your comment.

Thanks also Tom and Bartb.

number6,

"I can't believe that Grahame's excellent gag went unremarked!"

Me neither. I can't believe I missed that! :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

I've just finished working my way through this thread and have enjoyed every minute of it. Mark, your modelling is fantastic. In any scale, this is fantastic stuff, but the fact it's 2mm makes it even more inspiring. I love the atmosphere you're managing to evoke, both through the model and your very enjoyable updates. Living in South London myself, I have often marvelled at some of the fantastic 20s and 30s architecture there is dotted around (Peckham being a surprisingly rich treasure trove of hidden gems, believe it or not).

I'll be following this one with much interest. Keep up the good work! Can't wait to see what you'll tackle next.

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

First I took a small 85x55mm sheet of plastic. This was inserted into a 'Chip n Pin' machine at the 4D Model Shop and then they let me have two exquisite trees.

Brilliant! I walked right down the garden path on that one!

Me too :fan:

Another enjoyable update Mark - Think I am going to follow suit on the tree purchases...they look rather good.

Thanks gents,

Strictly speaking this is N gauge rather than 2mm, although I like to think I keep a 'fine-scale' hat on with much of what I do.

The trees are rather nice and I recommend them.

It's one of those funny things that I'll happily labour for hours over many details - but there are a couple of things I really can't bring myself to do: One is make trees. The other is make roof tiles from slithers of overlapped paper.

Thanks again.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Loved the potter's wheel. Looked electric to me - most suitable for up-to-the-minute Frankland! - while real potters used a kick-wheel. My father had a couple of them in his time, the second being ordered from a works in Newton Poppleford in 1963. Even I could turn out a bowl of sorts, although it was very easy to get over-confident in the latter stages, when your perfectly round bowl might suddenly resemble a wc! We didn't have any sort of kiln, so Dad used to take them to a kiln in Putney Bridge. In the '50s, all our breakfast bowls and mugs had been made by him. All smashed long ago, natch.

Thank you Mr Flying Pig, It is indeed my period :)

By coincidence I was watching some similar clips the other day with a view to including one with my next update.

Olddudders: well that's another coincidence. My father also had a potters wheel (and a kiln at one point). I remember as a child making some very wobbly things, less 'mug' and more 'lump' probably.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Outstanding modelling Mark, for me you have raised your own high bar to another level, inspiring me for sure to press on with "scratch building " prototype buildings on my own layout. You have shared so many techniques that I will borrow.

When I laminated the inner layer of Plasticard to the embossed 2mm brick sheet I used for the first time double sided sticky tape from Rymans rather than "Mekpak". I was initially unsure if it would be strong enough but, it worked supremely well and was less messy.

Like you, I have an eye for greenery being as good as the "Railway" modelling, well done on the look of your "Clipped " hedges and all based from something we have in our homes - a Kitchen cleaning pad.!

Carl

Carl

Guest oldlugger

A very atmospheric layout you're making Southernboy; it's original and full of period charm and character. You wouldn't happen to be an architect by any chance?

Great stuff

Simon

Thank you gents, you are very kind :)

Carl:

The double-sided Rymans tape sounds interesting and something I'm sure I'll use in the future. Thanks for that.

Simon:

I'm not an architect, but do enjoy looking at buildings, especially those of pre-war vintage.

Edited by Southernboy

...... it's beyond accolades.

Fabulous model making, super story telling and what will be a fantastic layout. And N gauge to boot.

It's got character, atmosphere, presence and period.

G.

Edited by grahame
  • Like 1